Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect/Size of Bricks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought some "FULL SIZE" bricks to set up for indirect cooking however they are a little over 2 inches think - do they sound TOO THICK for indirect cooking ????? Thanks in advance for your expertise !!!

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Jfol, I think everybody here uses 1/4 inch split.[p]CWM

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Jfol,[p]I may go against the majority of forum posters here, but firebricks (either type) are not necessary for a cook under 400°F dome temp. Firebricks represent a thermal load on the fire (eats charcoal) and slows the heating of your Egg. As they hold their heat, they also slow the cooling of the Egg. The result is your Egg temperature control becomes sluggish. Stable cooking temp is only reached after everything in the Egg has reached equalibruim.[p]A thin pizza stone can be used for indirect cooking (much less thermal mass), and helps with the worry of trying to help the Egg do what it already is the best at doing. A drip pan sized to shield the meat from the direct fire is sufficient.[p]I have both the full sized and the half bricks. I have used them in many cooks and in some very strange experiments. These bricks are most useful at temps above 500°F or when baking on the Egg.[p]Spin[p][p]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Spin, my friend, once again, I beg to differ!
    I have found the firebricks to be of essence to any of my cooks especially in the low and slow cooks with ribs and butts. But again, its up to the individual how to use them. I would prefer not to put a cut and dried opinion on their use. They work fine for pizza and bread making as well. It's a learning curve in how to adapt them. I agree on one thing for sure, the thicker 2 inch bricks are not necessary. A waste of space and fuel efficiency. Your better off with a sheet of tin and the very thin 1/4 in thick ones by GrillMaster. They will also radiate as the standard 1.25 x 4.5 x 9 inch bricks and work for pizza with a pizza stone.
    But alas, if one wishes to discard their use entirely, thats also an option.
    Thicker 3/4" ceramic pizza stones work altho not as versatile.
    Go for what works for you..! Firebricks are not for everyone.
    Cheerio..!!
    C~W[p]

• Gooba
    Gooba Posts: 26
    Options
    I am fairly new at this,but I purchased 1/2 size fire bricks and use them on my slow cooks.I have found that I am able to maintain the temperature alot better with them.

• Gooba, you got it down already?...your new? :-)
    Keep playing with em..you can rig em up to fit most cooks.
    C~W