Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - I Won a Flame Boss...

Options
Yea, I'm lucky, I guess. It's a $329 gadget thingy that I know I don't need, and most likely won't use. Any suggestions here to make my low-tech egging self want to use this thing? 
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Yea, I'm lucky, I guess. It's a $329 gadget thingy that I know I don't need, and most likely won't use. Any suggestions here to make my low-tech egging self want to use this thing? 
    Easy solution.......use it once on a low and slow on some pork butts.  Set it up at 225f and close the lid.  Then you don't touch it again until it's time to eat.  16+ hrs of out of sight, out of mind.  You'll be hooked.

******for all the nay sayers, YES, the egg *can* do this, but not everytime without keeping an eye on it.  If you truly don't want to babysit, because you need to go to work, play gold, or sleep, then they're the only way to go.******
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    In Melbourne Saturday??
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • SeanP
    SeanP Posts: 30
    Options
    I'll take it off your hands. How much do you want for it?
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Congrats! You will love it once you give it a chance. 
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    @stlcharcoal - I am LOW TECH... not sure I can even hook it up. Now if I can find a teenager around to help, that is a different story.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Options
    I love mine. Just did a 9 lb butt this weekend.  Put it on at midnight, went to sleep, got up at 7am, still chugging along at 225 thanks to flame boss.
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I've never played gold...sounds like a yankee thing.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Sleeping through the night during a L&S and being able to check temps from my phone and make adjustments was worth the price I paid. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Congrats!

I don't have the flameboss but I am pretty sure you can use it without hooking it up to wifi and using the app. Maybe that would be a good place to start. Just light your egg as normal, hook up the fan, clip on the grid probe, insert your meat probe, plug it in, use the arrows to set your target temp. Walk away! 

Of course, if that view is from the same place where your eggs live then you might not want to walk away. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,973
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will try it for low and slows that I usually have to wake up several times a night to monitor.

I have had no luck hooking it up to home wifi. My password is long and the unit times itself out by the time I am halfway through putting it in! Trying to input it using just arrows is a pita, and not working. Any suggestions on this??

Also, no android phone app available??  (See, this is what I meant by low tech, people!!)

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will try it for low and slows that I usually have to wake up several times a night to monitor.

I have had no luck hooking it up to home wifi. My password is long and the unit times itself out by the time I am halfway through putting it in! Trying to input it using just arrows is a pita, and not working. Any suggestions on this??

Also, no android phone app available??  (See, this is what I meant by low tech, people!!)
    Yeah, that's a pain and one of the great things about the app--you can use it to enter the wifi password.  You should be able to hit that connect button on the router though, and it will link to the FB.  

Android app is coming soon.  One idea in the meantime......Turn on "guest network" on your Wifi, give it a super short password,  and use that for the FB300.

Or give FB a call and they'll help you out--great people there.  Once you get the Wifi set up, it's super easy.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I won one last year as well, once the wifi is set up it is super easy to use. I have not used the app yet I just log onto the website and your cook is there.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

Do a low and slow with no network wi-fi connected. Just let the box control the temp and monitor your pit and food. It will still work just like the non wi-fi model.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Make some home made sausage and set it up at 150F. Try maintaining that low a fire with out it for 5 or 6 hours.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Oh...and congrats. I've got version one and two, but not the fancy schmancy wi-fi one.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Enjoy and good luck w it!  I've had my eye out for one, so if you end up wanting to sell it to a fellow Tampa Bayer, I'd take it off your hands.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    @Photo Egg - Thanks, Darian. I will give it a try without the wifi.

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    @thetrim - I want to try it first, but if I decide I don't want it, you will be #2 person I will check with.  (Someone else already PM'ed me wanting to buy it.)

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Congrats! I use another brand pit controller but love it for overnights. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Turn on "guest network" on your Wifi, give it a super short password,  and use that for the FB300.

That ^
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • DaveRichardson
    Options

Hopefully you can do the "Guest Network" thing.  that was going to be my suggestion.  Or pay some kid to set up a second router just for the FB and visitors.  Make the name and password easy and snarky - BBQ related!!

I've got a CyberQ that I got off a guy who upgraded to the FB300 and I love the ability to sleep thru the night.  I still use a pit probe that connects to my phone - mainly because I'm a geek.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I had trouble setting up my FB initially as well (password was 17 characters long). I called them and they pushed a firmware upgrade that allowed for long passwords. Don't know if that was just for my unit or for all units.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    @caliking - my password is 17 characters long as well. Using up and down arrows to type in a password is a giant pita, no matter how long the password is!

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    @caliking - my password is 17 characters long as well. Using up and down arrows to type in a password is a giant pita, no matter how long the password is!
    Ditto on the PITA Setup process, but once it's done get ready for fun. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen