Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jaccard pig tailed flipper

Options
Hey, I'm interested in one of these and not sure which size is most useful between the 12 and 19". Input?
LBGE, Minimax
Owensboro, Kentucky
Go Cats!

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I have and use both equally.  Just depends on how hot I'm running the egg.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have and use both equally.  Just depends on how hot I'm running the egg.  
    Agree, really like mine.
    Also use the smaller for wings and larger for steaks and my XL for extra reach. Well worth the money.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I am an avid fan and use both all the time. I use my short one inside and my large one outside on my BGEs.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    RRP said:
    I am an avid fan and use both all the time. I use my short one inside and my large one outside on my BGEs.
    Come on Ron, tell them what you flip with them!  I have yet to try it.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    RRP said:
    Come on Ron, tell them what you flip with them!  I have yet to try it.

Pancakes!!! I'm not woofin!!!
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    We need pictures or it's not real!! :)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    I have both. Bought them in a two pack off Amazon, They're great!!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• RRP
    Options
    BTW - the routine Pigtail Flipper is made for right handed people and a leftie trying to use it gets SUPER frustrated...ask my wife! Amazon doesn't carry the leftie model, but you can buy one directly from Pigtail.
  • RRP
    Options
    I hear you, but I don't have a picture. Actually it is quite simple - by the time a pancake is ready to flip the underneath skin is tough enough to handle the poke and flip. Besides that the uncooked top has already started to skin over so there is no slop. Pigtail used to have pancake flipping amongst their promotional video.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    My neighbor made me a pig tail flipper.  It'll flip a butt/brisket.  It's very sturdy.  

Just the right length for a BGE too.  Not too short and not too long.  

i envy that hook on yours.  I may have to get my blacksmith-made flipper reworked!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    My neighbor made me a pig tail flipper.  It'll flip a butt/brisket.  It's very sturdy.  

i envy that hook on yours.  I may have to get my blacksmith-made flipper reworked!
    I have another that I need to take a picture of the handle, I like it better than mine.  He made one for my brother too for exchange for some deer antlers.  

It has a cross hatch design on it.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I have both and use both. Got them as a two pack. Like the long one for the reverse sear when the grill is real hot but use the shorter one most of the time. 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    RRP said:
    I hear you, but I don't have a picture. Actually it is quite simple - by the time a pancake is ready to flip the underneath skin is tough enough to handle the poke and flip. Besides that the uncooked top has already started to skin over so there is no slop. Pigtail used to have pancake flipping amongst their promotional video.
    Ron, If you say it happened, I believe it!!:)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have both. Use the short one most. They are great!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    kl8ton said:

I have another that I need to take a picture of the handle, I like it better than mine.  He made one for my brother too for exchange for some deer antlers.  

It has a cross hatch design on it.  

Matt gifted me one of these bad boys and I'm coming to really like it.  Still on the learning curve.  Thanks Matty!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    BTW - the routine Pigtail Flipper is made for right handed people and a leftie trying to use it gets SUPER frustrated...ask my wife! Amazon doesn't carry the leftie model, but you can buy one directly from Pigtail.
    When I could not find the left-handed model on their website I wrote to customer service and today received this response:

Hello Ron,
    Yes the left Handed Pig Tails have been discontinued, but we do have some available in bulk (which mean with out packaging). If you purchased one, we would wrap it in the proper packaging for shipment though.
    The item #'s are :
    201310LB Left handed 12" Wood Handled Pig Tail Food Flipper  - $12.99
    201311LB Lest handed 19" Wood Handled Pig Tail Food Flipper -  $16.99
    Please call me at the phone number below, if you are interested in purchasing.
    Thank you
    --Ellen

Ellen Kirisits | Sales Support 
    Direct: 585-851-0792 | Office: 585-851-0782 ext. 113
    Jaccard Corporation | Jaccard Products
    70 Commerce Drive, Rochester, NY 14623 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    When I could not find the left-handed model on their website I wrote to customer service and today received this response:

Hello Ron,
    Yes the left Handed Pig Tails have been discontinued, but we do have some available in bulk (which mean with out packaging). If you purchased one, we would wrap it in the proper packaging for shipment though.
    The item #'s are :
    201310LB Left handed 12" Wood Handled Pig Tail Food Flipper  - $12.99
    201311LB Lest handed 19" Wood Handled Pig Tail Food Flipper -  $16.99
    Please call me at the phone number below, if you are interested in purchasing.
    Thank you
    --Ellen

Ellen Kirisits | Sales Support 
    Direct: 585-851-0792 | Office: 585-851-0782 ext. 113
    Jaccard Corporation | Jaccard Products
    70 Commerce Drive, Rochester, NY 14623 
    Ron, 

If you're interested in a hand made one, for lefties, I can see if my neighbor can make one for you.  He's on Etsy as well.  

Lemme know.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

Ron, 

If you're interested in a hand made one, for lefties, I can see if my neighbor can make one for you.  He's on Etsy as well.  

Lemme know.  
    Thank you - but I just posted that as a follow up to my post since I said a leftie is made!
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

Ron, 

Lemme know.  
    Thank you - but I just posted that as a follow up to my post since I said a leftie is made!
    Okay, just throwing it out there.  I still like ya Ron!  :smiley:

If you ever want a more sturdy flipper, you know where my wall is, post away.  :smiley:
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    DO IT! Absolutely wonderful tool!!! A couple of months ago, I bought the pair and LOVE them!! Perhaps the only cooking tool/accessory I have ever said that about! I say "them", but I have yet to use the large flipper. The small has handled everything quite well, in the kitchen or outside. Steaks (reverse sear or not), chops, chicken parts and pork tenderloin. Even used it on a once-every-few-years hot dog. 

If cooking a whole grid full of wings or something, I suspect the large one would be a good idea, just to keep your hand away from the heat. Probably not suitable for a smashburger though. Unless you scrape it off the griddle first. And what's the point then?

Would love to have one of those hand forged ones. With a @Lawn Ranger mesquite handle! =) 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options

Thanks again for the killer gift @tarheelmatt
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options

Thanks again for the killer gift @tarheelmatt
    Not to be left out but @tarheelmatt gifted one to me as well. I love it! Thanks Matt.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I would get the two-pack.
    Use mine like Ron, big one outside, little one inside, and camping.  Boiled corn, corn on the grill, bacon, wings, glad I have 'em.  The snare on the Jaccuard is perfect, IV catheter sharp, lightweight.

My brother just bought the black resin handled two-pack after trialing mine.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    Options
    I'm in - noticed the black plastic handle is dishwasher safe. That set is less expensive on the Jaccard site than on Amazon, even with Prime. But individually they're cheaper on Amazon. 

So much egg stuff... 
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2017
    Options
    bjeans said:
    I'm in - noticed the black plastic handle is dishwasher safe. That set is less expensive on the Jaccard site than on Amazon, even with Prime. But individually they're cheaper on Amazon. 

So much egg stuff... 
    The black set was cheaper at Prescott's BBQ Shop too.  Why my brother bought the black actually.  DWS is nice, didn't know that.  

I hear ya about the indoor and outdoor cooking shtuff.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    Options

Would love to have one of those hand forged ones. With a @Lawn Ranger mesquite handle! =) 
    As I recall Mike did offer such an animal years ago on a special order basis. I believe he just bought the pigtail and replaced the handle so as to complete sets for some of his best customers who had several of his custom/one of a kind/handled tools.
  • SouthernEagle
    Options
    Probably a stupid question, but can someone help me understand the use/benefit of these?
    LBGE- North of Atlanta, Georgia.

Hail Southern
  • tarheelmatt
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Probably a stupid question, but can someone help me understand the use/benefit of these?
    With tongs, you're hand is in the Egg, with a flipper, it's away.  That's one benefit.  

I think it's faster to flip meats.  With a flip of the wrist, boom, it's over.  

You can pick up brisket or butts with it (at least mine), move them, etc.  

https://youtu.be/wTT9RBWvrlo
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site