Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sealing & role of bands

Options
Have had my Egg for about 2 months now. Abolsutely love it!

When I tightened all the bolts again, I noticed that the bands were no longer parallel at some points. So I loosened them and used the 4 spacers to redo and re tighten.  After doing this, two issues cropped up:

1) Now it doesn't pass the dollar bill test. It did before. Everything looks fine - so not sure why - expect for:

2) rear large bolts that secure band are bent and threads are worn. After only 2 months! 

Does (2) affect (1)?

If I run my finger around the gasket during a cook, I don't feel any hot air. Does this mean the seal is good, even though the dollar bill comes out quite easily in some places?

What creates a good seal? Is it solely the weight of the dome, or do the bands somehow pull the dome down?

Thanks
Large Egg

Comments

• Surge
    Surge Posts: 56
    Options
    Photos (normally the bands are tighter. I'm just showing the threads here, after loosening):

Large Egg
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    I wouldn't be chancing those bolts. I would replace and start at step one again. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I'm at a lost how you flattened(ruined) those threads! Something just isn't right with that picture! Also out of curosity what kind of wrench are you using that strips the paint off those nuts that way in such a short period of time! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Try a Rutland... Amazon has them. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Surge
    Options
    I'm using wrenches sized for each nut. I agree, doesn't look right. The hardware seems quite low quality. Perhaps I have a bad batch, or they switched suppliers recently. 
    Large Egg
  • RRP
    Options
    Surge said:
    I'm using wrenches sized for each nut. I agree, doesn't look right. The hardware seems quite low quality. Perhaps I have a bad batch, or they switched suppliers recently. 
    Then I personally would either have my dealer come out and look at the situation, OR take the bands off and return bands, nuts and bolts back and not leave until the dealer sent me home with replacements of all! Or lastly - if that is a Large BGE call the Mothership and insist they send you the new style band FREE! Don't be nasty...just be insistent! 
  • Surge
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thanks RRP. It has the new bands (notice the springs are outboard, at the sides)
    Large Egg
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    @Surge, you do have a new band. The old bands had vertical springs. 
  • Surge
    Options
    I will get new carriage bolts asap.
    What actually creates a good seal? Is it the act of pushing down on the dome while tightening the carriage bolts?

I don't seem to have any heat leakage, but the dollar bill test does not pass in all areas either... I did not push down on the dome when I secured the bolts. Will try that next time.
    Large Egg
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    The carriage bolts, when installed properly, should be tightened enough such that they bend slightly. In doing so, the band will ruin the threads. Therefore, any adjustments you make on the band will require a trip to the local hardware store to purchase a new set of carriage bolts.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    @Surge -  When you get the new carriage bolts, install with the bolt head to the right side. Easier to tighten pushing the wrench down. Just a personal preference. After you get egg to pass dollar bill test, do what RRP suggests and add a second nut to each bolt. Thank RRP later when you don't need to retighten :)
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Surge
    Options
    Indeed, thank you RRP, and everyone!
    Large Egg
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    The only thing that may be effected could be shutdown time extended a little and temperature control might be a little different. Maybe burn a little more lump. More than likely you will see no problems or differences at all. I have had my large misaligned for a long time and still smokes and grills perfectly.   

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    First,  the bolts only fit one direction. In order to change that you need to completely disassembled the bands and reassemble upside down. Handle, hinges, everything. Secondly, as the bolts are tightened it is common for the threads to rub against the band itself which ultimately results in boogered threads. Lastly, if you replace them make sure they are either BGE bolts or grade 5 equivalent. They are designed to be a softer bolt which exasperates your issue. Good luck.  
  • SamIAm2
    Options
    First,  the bolts only fit one direction. In order to change that you need to completely disassembled the bands and reassemble upside down. Handle, hinges, everything. Secondly, as the bolts are tightened it is common for the threads to rub against the band itself which ultimately results in boogered threads. Lastly, if you replace them make sure they are either BGE bolts or grade 5 equivalent. They are designed to be a softer bolt which exasperates your issue. Good luck.  
    The new bands for the large that I installed had the square hole on the right side. It came that way, didn't have to make the changes you mention. First photo of my earlier post shows this. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2144111#Comment_2144111
    Perhaps there was a change in the way they are now being delivered.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    The new bands for the large that I installed had the square hole on the right side. It came that way, didn't have to make the changes you mention. First photo of my earlier post shows this. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2144111#Comment_2144111
    If they are turned upside down, th e square is on the left. They are ambidextrous 
  • SamIAm2
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    If they are turned upside down, th e square is on the left. They are ambidextrous 
    Thinking back, I put mine together the way it made sense to me without ever seeing this video showing the bolts being installed from the left side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR3K9WtXaXI

Will stop suggesting the bolts be installed differently. 

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • Surge
    Options
    Does everyone recommend putting pressure on the dome, while tightening the carriage bolts?
    And do the smaller cap nuts do much to secure the band; do they need to be very tight and periodically checked?
    Large Egg
  • RRP
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Surge said:
    Does everyone recommend putting pressure on the dome, while tightening the carriage bolts?
    And do the smaller cap nuts do much to secure the band; do they need to be very tight and periodically checked?
    Cap nuts are for making it "purdy". "Double nutting" involves using the same size nuts as the first ones, whether they come up tight or have thread length left over. Make sense? As for putting pressure on the dome it really depends on if you had a problem to start with. Seems like corporate and new band users makes us believe the new design solves the lift issues commonplace with the old style.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited August 2017
    Options
    When adjusting, make sure you loosen the 4 bolts on each hinge mechanism (remove springs first!)  Line up the dome and the bands, tighten bands, then tighten those hinges.  If you have one of those at a funny angle or higher/lower than the other, it could be causing your problem.  

Overall, it's much easier to get these new bands aligned.  I've put together dozens of eggs from the box, and these are so much easier to get to pass the first dollar bill test 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    My bands are tight, not sure about @tarheelmatt though. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I've only ever had issues with the XL. Every so often I get one that when I attach the springs at the end will actually lift the lid off the base just a hair. I have to them remove the springs and loosen it all up and spread the bands apart a bit to force the lid down. Must be something that gets just a hair off cuz it only happens every so often. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    My bands are tight, not sure about @tarheelmatt though. 
    Bring your wrenches to BB18 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Surge
    Options
    Customer service is great! Received new bolts asap!
    Large Egg
  • Surge
    Options
    Redid the band install with the new hardware. The dollar bill can be pulled out in most places, but there is resistance. And no smoke is visibly escaping from anywhere around the lid. 
    Sound good?

I think it's definitely better to put downward force on the dome when tightening. And the spacers seem to make this worse, since they physically lift the lid (a small amount). I also think it's better to increase the spacing between the bands, beyond what the spacers set it to. But I'm a novice at this!
    Large Egg