Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Try - Choice Boneless Standing Rib Roast

Options
Picked up a 12 pounder from Costco. ($8.19/lb.)

Pictures loaded out of order - sorry about that. Operator error due to wine.

Very little trimming needed, although I did carve off a couple of ribeye steaks. 

Tied it to get uniform roundness.

Packed the beast with coarse Kosher salt, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and put in refrigerator of 48 hours.

Laced fresh rosemary through the string. (Wife commands that I tell you the rosemary is from her garden!)

Packed with more coarse Kosher salt plus coarse black pepper.

Setup:

Indirect with platesetter legs up.

Aluminum foil spacer balls, about 3/4 inch diameter.

14 inch pizza pan with some baby potatoes.

Roast on large v-rack.

250 degrees at bottom of v-rack.

After one hour, LBGE is moving along at 250-255 degrees at rack and 275 degrees dome temp.

After 2 hours the roast is at 113 degrees.

More later.

Just for you, Ron - Did you notice that dangerous Rutland gasket? 

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Looks like you're off to a great start, standing by for the finale.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    As above, great start but waiting for the money shot as there is no pressure to deliver... ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    @1voyager - now that is bringing it home.  Dang- one of the better ones served up around here in a long time.  Most eggcellent.  Congrats.  
    Taking a shot here but the BGE is not your first outdoor cooking machine.  You have to have been in the game for a while to nail it like that-if not then you have natural talent.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I'm getting an error message for more uploads. I'll try again later.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Damn. 

Out of order due to any alcohol is perfectly acceptable. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Excellent
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • 1voyager
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @1voyager - now that is bringing it home.  Dang- one of the better ones served up around here in a long time.  Most eggcellent.  Congrats.  
    Taking a shot here but the BGE is not your first outdoor cooking machine.  You have to have been in the game for a while to nail it like that-if not then you have natural talent.  
    Thank-you for your compliment. This was my first time cooking a rib roast on LBGE. I've been an Egg Head for 4 years. Weber kettle before that.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is a beautiful looking piece of beef. Excellent work with the twine. That is a perfect meat cylinder. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    WOW that looks AMAZING!!!!!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    I wanna be your friend....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Most Excellent, Home Run!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    That looks phenomenal. Really great.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I don't know much, but I believe I'm going to have a hard time picking between a slice of that and a slice of good brisket. That looks absolutely perfect. 
    Snellville, GA

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Nice job.  I have to try that!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Wow, just wow....
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That's spectacular. Nice job.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Perfectly eggsecuted.
    Low and slow is the way to go IMO, super easy.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• 1voyager
    Options
    Thanks, everyone.

I agree with you, Focker. Low and slow...and it was indeed super easy, although I was a nervous wreck during the entire cook.  =)

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,098
    Options
    Hell yeeeaaa!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Yes sir, I'll bet that didn't suck--Wowzers--By the way, very nice presentation with the rosemary sprigs and Christmassy and all that.  Full heal clicking salute right there.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.