Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smobot thoughts...

Options
So have used the Smobot for a few cooks now. Here are my thoughts:

Pros - it just works as promoted. Set a temp and forget it. 

What I think needs improvement:

1. I would like the ability to set alarm temps for food probes 1 & 2. Also if the grill grate temperature exceeds the set temp by say 25 degrees. I'm still using my iGrill 2 as you can see. 

2. The option to stay local to the Smobot, without connecting to the cloud. I got the following error, leading me to believe that their cloud server is down. I looked up the IP in my DHCP table and was able to connect to its web page, locally, but this could be a problem for some. 

Cloud error:

3. The micro USB power connector is a little sloppy. I've tried it with a few different cables and if you move the cable or Smobot, the power is disconnected. 

Here is tonight's meal:

Overall? The Smobot does work and it works very well. With some improvements I think it will only get better. 

I did ask if they would publish an API so I could integrate with our smart home but haven't heard back. The things I think need improving could easily be handled if I had the API. 

Thanks for looking...

Michael
Large BGE
Reno, NV

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts. I want one pretty bad, just saving my pennies. What really draws me to this one over the others is the lack of a fan. I like simplicity, and ease of use. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    They did just recently update the web site from the old version that you needed to manually refresh your browser and I'm sure they'll roll out high/low alarms at some point. 

I bought two SmoBots but I have only played with one so far. The USB port in the one I have used seems solid - I haven't noticed any power disconnects due to that.

What I have had happen a couple of times is that the external battery pack they included has an on/off switch that I have accidentally pressed and turned off power to the SmoBot unit a couple of times when picking the unit and battery up to move to a different location. I went ahead and bought a different external battery that doesn't have a power button that can be accidentally triggered.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Thanks for the info, HeavyG. The power connection problem is probably unique to my unit, but I wanted to give some insights into my usage. 

I, too, Jeremiah, like the simplicity of the unit. And I like that I can power it with a battery pack. 

I am am very happy with it keeping temperature. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • HeavyG
    Options
    I'd contact them and mention your USB port problem. I'm betting they'll make it right. 

Actually the SmoBot guy is a member of the forum and has participated in many of these threads  and will probably see this thread and respond.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    @JNDATHP  Don't care about the functionality or the alphabet soup for descriptions but man that tri-tip looks like a home-run result.  Congrats.  
    I'll get the tech deal later.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    I want one pretty bad too, but have some other eggcessories I need to get first. If it were up to me I would just buy everything I want now, but SWMBO would never allow that so I have to drag it out to prevent sticker shock.

I had already made my mind up on the FlameBoss when it came time to purchase a temp. control unit until I saw this. Will hopefully have me a Smobot by years end.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I like it because I can just take the daisy back and forth to the lake.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,088
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @reinhart36 is the owners handle...

Eric and Curtis are good people and off to an amazing start with their new company.  They are very responsive and always looking for feedback.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I have onlyndealt with Eric and he is great.  I have two smobots with a third being gifted to me from an associate,

Really looking forward to the simpicity of smobot
    Although this week i have a big catering cook volunteer job to do and will be using the guru for that one...
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I used my Smobot for the first time this weekend. I had a bone-headed oversight while plugging in the damper (or so I thought) and it was initially non-reponsive. I emailed to the link on their website and got a thorough response from Curtis almost immediately. He identified the issue right away and it ran like a champ for the remainder of my 10-plus hour cook. The wifi setup was easy (even for someone like me who struggles with the simplest of tech tasks). I considered other options for a while and was glad when I heard about this project because I like the fan-free simplicity. I am very satisfied with the purchase and customer service.
    Stillwater, MN
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @StillH2OEgger, i just gave up my blackberry and got a samsung 7 i think
    Ill get the bbq apps figured out and match up the guru

How difficult was it?    I am technical enough to be dangerous...,
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options

At least you realise this ... the really dangerous people are the oblivious :)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• StillH2OEgger
    Options

It was like three steps and all very easily spelled out and accomplished.
    Stillwater, MN
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    So... would you gents recommend a Smobot over other temp controllers? I don't have a gadget to adjust temp yet, and I need something that runs on batteries so this looks like a good option. 

The import cost to the UK will kill me though - but that's the same with all the temp controllers. 
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    I recommend the Smobot. As others have said, I like the fanless feature and that it just works as advertised. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Sodak70
    Sodak70 Posts: 29
    Options
    I used my smobot for the first time yesterday with some turbo ribs and it worked great.  I let it go after I took the ribs off and it stayed at the same 350 degrees for another 7 hours.  
    Large and MiniMax Egg, 28" Blackstone Griddle

Franklin (South East), Va
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Awesome test run Sodak70
  • GrillSgt
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Is there any hardware upgrades currently in beta or near beta, or are the upgrades software related?
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    This thing holds the temp where you put it. I played with it while making burgers last week, set to 210 then back it down to 190, back up to 300, ran like a champ. 

Since I just made my best brisket over 15 hours, I would say I am sticking with it! 
    Put the brisket on Saturday night, went kayaking Sunday about 10am, monitored the cook and knew when to end kayaking. Came home and probed the brisket, wrapped it and stuck it in a cooler. 

Nice work by the guys. Couple of alarms and ability to save cook setups and this will be even better. 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    TheToast said:
    So... would you gents recommend a Smobot over other temp controllers? I don't have a gadget to adjust temp yet, and I need something that runs on batteries so this looks like a good option. 

The import cost to the UK will kill me though - but that's the same with all the temp controllers. 
    I would certainly recommend the SmoBot.

However, there is one scenario that might be problematic for some when used with a kamado.

I used mine a week or so ago to smoke/finish off a chuck roast that I had in the hot tub for a couple of days prior. It wasn't a long cook - a couple of hours at 275°F. After I pulled the roast I was just curious how the SmoBot would respond to lowering the temp down to 225°F and see if it could hold that.

Setting the temp to 225°F caused the SmoBot to totally shut the damper as I would expect. The problem was that since it takes a kamado longer to shed heat that almost totally extinguished the fire and the SmoBot even after it opened the vent 100% never really was able to revive the fire and hold 225°F. In this case having a blower fan likely would have helped revive the fire. Or not.

Dropping the temp on a metal Kettle or WSM would likely not have been a problem since they cool down more quickly and the coals may not have been starved for so long.

My experiment may have just been a fluke (lump piles can sometimes be less than cooperative) and in a repeat scenario the fire may have recovered just fine. I'll play that scene again the next time I use it. Also, I've never really had a need to drop the temp like that for a real cook so for me it's not a real problem. I was just curious.

To be fair, I should also say that I did this on my KJ Jr. The damper wasn't intended to fit on the Jr. but it does in a slightly off center way. The vent area of a KJ Jr. is smaller to begin with and the damper skewed off center will reduce the total vent area a bit more so that may have impacted the reviving the fire effort.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    TheToast said:

However, there is one scenario that might be problematic for some when used with a kamado.

I used mine a week or so ago to smoke/finish off a chuck roast that I had in the hot tub for a couple of days prior. It wasn't a long cook - a couple of hours at 275°F. After I pulled the roast I was just curious how the SmoBot would respond to lowering the temp down to 225°F and see if it could hold that.

Setting the temp to 225°F caused the SmoBot to totally shut the damper as I would expect. The problem was that since it takes a kamado longer to shed heat that almost totally extinguished the fire and the SmoBot even after it opened the vent 100% never really was able to revive the fire and hold 225°F. In this case having a blower fan likely would have helped revive the fire. Or not.

Dropping the temp on a metal Kettle or WSM would likely not have been a problem since they cool down more quickly and the coals may not have been starved for so long.

My experiment may have just been a fluke (lump piles can sometimes be less than cooperative) and in a repeat scenario the fire may have recovered just fine. I'll play that scene again the next time I use it. Also, I've never really had a need to drop the temp like that for a real cook so for me it's not a real problem. I was just curious.

To be fair, I should also say that I did this on my KJ Jr. The damper wasn't intended to fit on the Jr. but it does in a slightly off center way. The vent area of a KJ Jr. is smaller to begin with and the damper skewed off center will reduce the total vent area a bit more so that may have impacted the reviving the fire effort.
    I have done the same on my XL and the fire stayed lit.  Tried it on my MM and the fire went out.

I was using a beta unit with a smokeware adapter to run the Smobot on my MM.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    TheToast said:

I don't have experience with any of the other more popular units available. There seem to be enough fans of the Flame Boss on here that I wouldn't think twice about going that route. Having said that, the Smobot works great in my very limited experience and am happy I waited for the Smobot. Bottom line, I'm sure you'll be pleased with whatever you end up with.
    Stillwater, MN
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    TheToast said:

I have done the same on my XL and the fire stayed lit.  Tried it on my MM and the fire went out.

Perhaps the larger volume of an XL keeps enough 02 in supply to keep one ember glowing. :)

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    TheToast said:

Perhaps the larger volume of an XL keeps enough 02 in supply to keep one ember glowing. :)
    I think at one point Eric/Curtis updated the software for a "keep" lit function.
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Fun discussion - thanks guys! =)

I'd suggest not drawing too many conclusions about your fire dying from that small setpoint change.  During development (and continuing optimization), I've run hundreds of automated test cycles that execute the setpoint profile shown in this plot:

That picture was convenient for me to grab, because it was on the kickstarter page, but I've made MANY that looked the same.

The two temperature descents in there are purposeful: 250-->190, then later, 350-->190.  I do that on my large BGE, but I'll admit that I haven't tested this on other platforms yet.

Basically, regardless of controller type, the descent needs to be somewhat slow or you'll snuff that fire.  If you closed off all the air for a couple hours, the fire will get snuffed, and no blower or automated damper will bring it back.  So the issue of the fire dying during your cook isn't an intrinsic problem with this scheme (see my picture above), but it might be an indication for an algorithm improvement.  Exercise it some more, and see if that was a freak occurrence.

If any of you avid smobot users are ever interested in running that auto-test cycle on your own pit, I'd love to see the data and look for opportunities for improvement.

Thanks for all the interesting questions/comments!

Eric

• CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    @reinhart36 - I would venture to say that, at the end of @HeavyG comment he listed the reason (whether knowingly or unknowingly) behind the fire going out. There is obviously a lot less charcoal in a KJ jr than in a LBGE and any attempt to drop pit temp by 50 degrees is going to play out differently between the two.

For dropping setpoint, would you not have to code a different algorithm for each size kamado? The length of time to snuff the fire out on the jr is far less than on the lrg, but the cooling down time of the ceramics would be similar. This would be very difficult to accomplish with a one-size-fits-all algorithm.

I personally never see myself needing to drop setpoint that drastic during a cook plus I have an XLBGE, so this scenario doesn't factor into my endorsement of the Smobot.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @CanDid - What you and @HeavyG are saying may well be the issue - thanks for the comments.

I guess my way of thinking of it (which may or may not be the correct perspective), is that there must be some minimum average airflow rate needed to keep a given fire going, and that required flow rate may not be a strong function of the ceramic mass/temperature - but more a function of the state of the charcoal pile, type of charcoal, humidity, etc..  Of course, that requirement will vary with time, etc.

The comment about cool-down time for larger vs. smaller masses certainly makes good sense.  I think an algorithm should be able to accommodate a setpoint decrease with a large or small ceramic mass if the minimum "average" flow rate of air to the fire is provided (I say average, because maybe it's just a small puff of air from time to time).

However, if the algorithm doesn't provide enough intermittent "breaths" for the fire during cool-down, then the larger the ceramic mass is (larger duration of cool-down event), the more likely you are to snuff the fire.

Maybe small vs. large charcoal piles have different minimum airflow rate requirements to keep them alive?

Eric

PS - One thing to consider is that time required for a set-point decrease to get down to it's target and robustness against fire snuffing trade against each other.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I only have one egg (XL) so I have no idea about the difference in cool down time between sizes from any practical experience.  However, since they're not a solid mass and I would assume the thickness is pretty similar regardless of egg size, the relationship between mass and surface area should be the same (I think?), so the only difference would be air, lump and fire.  In other words, volume shouldn't play a role if the have consistent thickness between sides.

Or I'm totally wrong and should've gone to engineering school instead of an holistic healing academy south of the border.
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    One thing about the Smobot - I'm never a believer in buying version 1 of anything. Because most companies get a product to market, learning along the way that there's a better way to build something. A friend funded the kickstarter for a Pebble watch (first smart watch) and was gutted 6 months later when the version 2 was a massive leap ahead of the first version. 

But then the Smobot is so simple that I imagine not much will change from v1 to v2.