Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sorta OT - Adding water to whiskey

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,471
edited August 2017 in Off Topic
First, read this:  http://mentalfloss.com/article/503690/why-adding-water-your-whiskey-makes-it-taste-better

Now, my rebuttal:  
Whiskey is a large percentage water already, so I can't understand why an additional splash of water would "push the alcohol to the surface". Also, saying "Alcohol is repelled by water" goes against the hygroscopic nature of alcohol, as I understand it.  Also, wouldn't the above scenario mean that, towards the end of the drink (when you're sucking in the water at the bottom), your drink is weaker? (a drink on the rocks would throw this off-kilter, due to the ice melting). Has anyone drank a whiskey/water with a straw, at the bottom of the shot glass? How did that go? And finally, "...the alcohol gets pushed to the surface, dragging the guacamole along with it"... how the f*ck is that stronger than the straight whiskey you began with?!?!

I cry Fake News.  I've no doubt that adding a bit of water to whiskey could improve its taste (I don't drink it myself), but for other reasons.  The above article doesn't pass the sniff test for me.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    If you have a really good batch, a spoonfull and only a spoonfull of distilled water really opens up the aramoa and flavor.  Try it both ways and see for yourself. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    There is no debate that water will impart a change in the flavor profile of a bourbon (no recent generic whiskey or scotch experience).  The change and enjoyment is definitely in the taste of the consumer.  But it is less of a factor for me than the mash bill of the bourbon being tasted.   Once you get past the required 51% corn in the equation the field is quite open.  Thus the variations in bourbon flavors right out of the bottle.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    It only makes it taste better to the "everyone's a winner" crowd. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    My neighbor does this with scotch - he has a collection.  Real ritual with the water too, has to be room temp, special glasses, etc.  I haven't tried it enough to know, but I do add a splash of water whenever I'm having something like Bookers that comes out of the bottle at 126-ish proof.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Sometimes a splash lets me enjoy the nuances of a certain whiskey when they are real strong. I will always try a whiskey without water before I try it with. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I have a few cubes of ice in a few fingers. Enjoy the temperature change and the blossoming of the whiskey.  
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I used to think adding a splash was tame the whiskey.  I've now learned it actually brings out more of the whiskey flavors.  Not sure if I'm making my point, but for me it makes a positive difference.
    Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    When you pour water into ethanol, the water sinks and slowly immerses with the alcohol, so yes, you could say it pushes the alcohol to the top, along with other aromatics that are alcohol soluble.  Also, it makes the aromatics less soluble in the alcohol, which drives them into the air, and that's what you're really tasting that makes it unique, I think they call it the "nose" or something in the wine world. 

I just guzzle the stuff down in coke zero, but do switch to water later in the evening.
    Options
    I started adding water when I started drinking cask strength Scotch, which can be over 120 proof and needs water to be drinkable. Now I always add a bit to anything over 80 proof and normally a splash even at 80 proof. I would never tell anyone how to drink whiskey, just drink it how you like it.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Also, it makes the aromatics less soluble in the alcohol, which drives them into the air, and that's what you're really tasting that makes it unique, I think they call it the "nose" or something in the wine world. 
    That makes sense, I guess; thanks.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Water in whiskey releases the aroma, IMO. Glass smells better after a splash is added. Ice cubes are not in my vocabulary, but I have used those ice rocks to cool but not dilute a whiskey. Still, prefer it neat with a splash, single malts, blends, ryes and bourbons. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I take mine (SM) with a tad bit of water. This way I taste the flavor of the scotch and it is not spirity. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    I haven't read the paper in detail, but I believe the science behind the work is sound.  The people involved used all atom MD simulations in AMBER.  The work was published in Nature.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Options
    Nerds always ruin art.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    IMO  whiskey needs a lil help but a true bourbon should be drank simply on the rocks. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    Nerds always ruin art.
    Obviously you've never watched Napoleon Dynamite.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I am about to transition from LEO fuel (beer) to escape velocity bourbon.  I assure you there will be no data or stories from which you may draw any conclusions other than the escape velocity will be well-executed and the fuel will be appreciated ( no water for the initial shot).  Landing could be a bit rough.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Options
    Legume said:
    Nerds always ruin art.
    Haha - tried for years to talk my daughter into wearing a side ponytail, taking portraits and sell friendship bracelets.  Love that movie.  Almost regret recommending to in laws, but that was funny in itself.  FiL was almost angry about "how stupid it is"
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Nerds always ruin art.
    Haha - tried for years to talk my daughter into wearing a side ponytail, taking portraits and sell friendship bracelets.  Love that movie.  Almost regret recommending to in laws, but that was funny in itself.  FiL was almost angry about "how stupid it is"
    It's amazing, isn't it?  We were a little late to the party on it and it probably took the wife and I at least fifteen minutes in before we were rolling.  
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Give me some of your tots.... 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN