Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Turkey advice

Options
I know it is still a ways out, but I am wanting to practice. Since I have an egg now, I have been tasked with smoking the turkey. I am super excited to do this for the family. I know I will be brining the bird. From there I am open to suggestions. Looking to really impress the family this year. Any advice appreciated. Also, Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays and times of year. 

Comments

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe-1950271

I do this and adapt it to the Egg. Same temp, just throw some wood in.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Since the calendar is so far out-give the forum search function a look.  You will be whelmed (over?) with cooks and information.  Condense it down to a few questions that you have and it will become a whole lot easier to focus and dial in during the next few months.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Did a 12 lber last year.  Also do butter mixed with herbs and load chunks between skin and meat.  Pretty sure I cooked at 325-350 the whole time.  Did a little creole seasoning on skin for flare.  Bird was slightly dry at skin level but super juicy the deeper you dove in.  Overall a success but I think I'm going to spatch my next one I do
  • ninnymugs
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Since the calendar is so far out-give the forum search function a look.  You will be whelmed (over?) with cooks and information.  Condense it down to a few questions that you have and it will become a whole lot easier to focus and dial in during the next few months.  FWIW-
    I cannot seem to find the search function. Am I missing something?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Google big Green Egg turkey 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    First thing to decide is whether you want a smoked turkey or a more traditional roast turkey.  Approach will be quite different and info you receive will differ.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• ninnymugs
    Options
    First thing to decide is whether you want a smoked turkey or a more traditional roast turkey.  Approach will be quite different and info you receive will differ.
    Going for a more smoked turkey. Hoping to highlight the Egg
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I like to roast my bird 350ish throwing a wood chunk on or 2 about 5-10 min before I put the bird in breast to the front 

i buy butterball ball so I just salt n pepper no brine on a pre injected bird

oddly the best turkey I ever did I used peach smoke 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,302
    Options
    I spatchcocked mine last year. Whichever method you choose put the legs facing the rear hinge.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    In the desktop version of the forum in the upper right there is a box with "Search" inside the lines followed by a green background "Go."  Type in your query and launch.  You should get more than enough.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    I did the Mad Mad method last year. Was incredible. Best turkey I've ever had. Didn't brine it. 

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey2/madmaxturkey2.htm
  • unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,065
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Unlike a brisket or a pork shoulder that I intentionally try to throw as much smoke at it as I can and still end up wanting for more a turkey takes relatively very little smoke to deliver big smoke taste. 

I followed a few recipes that started heavy with smoke and added more half way through the cook and it was to much in my opinion. A small handful along with your favorite charcoal on a bird that's been in a brine overnight will be a winner. Start small and if you want it even smokier next time you can get a little more aggressive with it vs. over doing it to the point that the bird tastes like it slid down a chimney 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    @unoriginalusername is right on the money about smoke on turkey. Just like too much perfume, too much smoke is a turn-off for most folks. That said, do experiment before your big cook. Did this two years ago because I wanted crisper skin then I normally got on the egg. Stuffed the inside as full of fruit, onion, whatever I thought would taste good. Used mayonnaise and s&p because we did that with rotisserie chicken for crisp skin years ago.

Put navel orange wood in the lump. Turned out like this and everybody in the family raved.
    I also plan to do spatchcock this year just for the time factor. Most of all, have fun it's your bird!
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    edited August 2017
    Options

So far, it's my family's favorite use of the egg.  Whole turkeys and bone-in breasts both are great.  Go light on the smoking wood - very light.

A fifteen pounder took just under four hours at 350 degrees indirect.  Rubbed with sage butter and placed on a bed of onions and celery.  I had some onion and apple inside it, loosely filled.

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options

What size egg? A medium can hold a 14lber, not spatched.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Options
    Go to you tube and watch the 3 videos on Mad max turkey. There is also a recipe on the naked whiz site. They did change the recipe last year to a rub made by dizzy pig. If you need the original to make your own rub just let me know. I think you find it to be the best turkey and gravy ever. I am actually doing a breast this way today.
    Suwanee, GA
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Just be sure to check temp on thigh and breast so it doesnt stay on too long....
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    this is the best turkey ive ever had

http://nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • ninnymugs
    Options
    Thanks all. Excited to experiment a bit before the big day 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    ninnymugs said:
    Experiment with what you put in the cavity (I've settled on onion, head of garlick, orange and herbs. I think the compound butter under the skin is a real plus. Have fun. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Martha Stewart turkey 101 slightly adapted for the egg - I don't start hot and back down, just run at the longer term suggested temp - with the cheesecloth I get beautiful browned skin even without the initial heat. I use fruitwood for the smoke - apple, peach, sometimes cherry but I go light with cherry. The last one I didn't brine but stuffed, was still really good.  I cook to internal temp, not time and have pulled the bird, cut the thigh/drumstick off, and put them back on to preserve moist breast meat.  I do always put some Kerrygold herb/garlic butter under the skin on the breast.  http://www.food.com/recipe/marthas-perfect-roast-turkey-442389

Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I like to put a bag on ice on the breasts for about 20 minutes before putting the turkey on the egg. That way all the meat is fully cooked at the same time. I use a couple chucks of fruit wood. Cherry gives a nice color. It is easy to oversmoke poultry, so go easy on the wood.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Another vote for Mad Max.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I'm assuming that you have experience in roasting turkeys in your oven. If yes, use that experience as a baseline and roast the turkey exactly the way you have done in the past. Set-up your Egg for indirect cooking with platesetter legs up, drip pan and turkey on the grate. (Or raise further toward the dome with a v-rack.) Experiment on the next one until it's to your liking. One last thing. Little bit of smoke goes a long way on poultry, unless your prefer overpowering the bird with smoke.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    If you want the dark red color use cherry wood for the light smoke profile.  
  • ninnymugs
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    ninnymugs said:
    Experiment with what you put in the cavity (I've settled on onion, head of garlick, orange and herbs. I think the compound butter under the skin is a real plus. Have fun. 
    Do you prefer the turkey in grate or in a v rack?
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    i like v rack sitting in a foil pan

here is a 18 lb bird on a large went 350ish for about 5 or so hours with onions, garlic, and apples in the cavity and butter and some cajun rub on the exterior

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    ninnymugs said:
    I know it is still a ways out, but I am wanting to practice. Since I have an egg now, I have been tasked with smoking the turkey. I am super excited to do this for the family. I know I will be brining the bird. From there I am open to suggestions. Looking to really impress the family this year. Any advice appreciated. Also, Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays and times of year. 

The first thing I do with the Thanksgiving Turkey is to put it in a Brine for 24 hours. I take it out on Thanksgiving and rinse it off good then mix Butter, garlic, Salt and pepper together and run it under the skin. I then put a poultry rub on the outside after rubbing it down with olive oil. Onto the BGE at 350 degrees until the breast reaches 160 degrees. Take it off the BGE and put it in a cooler covered until time to eat. Temps will rise to 165 degrees and Turkey will be extra juicy and tender. Do one now to practice as you can always use the extra Turkey meat for sandwiches and other meal ideas.
  • ninnymugs
    Options
    GaryLange said:
    ninnymugs said:

The first thing I do with the Thanksgiving Turkey is to put it in a Brine for 24 hours. I take it out on Thanksgiving and rinse it off good then mix Butter, garlic, Salt and pepper together and run it under the skin. I then put a poultry rub on the outside after rubbing it down with olive oil. Onto the BGE at 350 degrees until the breast reaches 160 degrees. Take it off the BGE and put it in a cooler covered until time to eat. Temps will rise to 165 degrees and Turkey will be extra juicy and tender. Do one now to practice as you can always use the extra Turkey meat for sandwiches and other meal ideas.
    Do you cover your bird at all during the cook?