Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 butt cooking times

Options
i have only done a few butts and always turb. An 8 pounder usually takes 5 hrs or so on the egg. Next cook needs to be 2 8 pounders. Does this alter cooking time?  Just a bit or more like double?
LBGE Cincinnati

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    Two separate masses. Same time frame. What temp are you cooking to get a butt done in 5 hours? 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JPhilip
    JPhilip Posts: 10
    Options
    I have great difficulty stabilizing temps. Usually 325-350
    LBGE Cincinnati
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    They may not finish at the same time, but can be close.  It will not be double.  Each piece of meat is different.  Go by temp not time, but know that they'll be similar.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    JPhilip said:
    I have great difficulty stabilizing temps. Usually 325-350
    Share your steps, let's diagnose your problems.  Come.  Come sit on the couch and tell me your problems.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JPhilip
    JPhilip Posts: 10
    Options
    Tried low and slow and fire always goes out. Switched to digiQ and trying for 300 degrees. Initial problems may have been ash around side holes but I have now cleaned those out. Anyway, load egg w BGE brand lump nearly full. 4-5 large chunks apple wood with largest in center right below where I light the lump several inches deep, others at varying depth around outer grill. Light w the cardboard type fire starter. Egg and vents full open till good fire then close lid and finally add digiQ and daisy wheel w wheel vents 100% open. Hard to get 350 dome but I can. Grate will be much lower. I have grate probe on grate where protected by platesetter. DigiQ set to 300 grate. In an hour it will be there but always tends to rise to 325-350. Over several hours it seems to settle around 308. 

As as for meat, rubbed in mustard and dry rub then on egg. Usually  only out of fridge an hour or less. I foil at170+ then pull at 204 and FTC till dinner. Foil captures great juice to add back when pulled. Always good just hard to plan as it is always done sooner than I think
    LBGE Cincinnati
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    "Egg and vents full open till good fire then close lid and finally add digiQ and daisy wheel w wheel vents 100% open."

Don't open vents all the way.  Vents should be set to achieve a temp below what you want and then the digiQ will use its fan to increase airflow to get the desired temp.  The digiQ cannot lower temps below what the vent settings will allow without fan assist.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Start a spot in the center, wait a few minutes and start the digiq 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN