Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In middle of cook, suggestions needed

Options
Tony
Tony Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BGEphotos083.jpg
<p />Ok here's a pic of the beef short ribs that I'm cooking. I took the lazy way, raised grid no drip pan. I snapped the picture after 2 1/2 hours at 240 temp. At the 3 hour mark I decided to place them in a aluminum pan, I poured about 8 oz. of orange juice (1 day expired) in the bottom (that's all I had), covered with foil and placed back on the egg. That's where I stand right now. [p]My 23 year old daughter asked me not to make them spicy so all I did so far is use salt. No rubs no sauce nothing. [p]That is why I'm asking for suggestions.
What do I do next? How long do you think I should leave them in the foil covered pan? Now what do I do? I'm thinking back on the raised grid?
Not sure how they would taste with bbq sauce, so I was thinking of maybe making some sort of garlic, butter, worschtere <(sp) sauce.
What ya think?
Suggestions appreciated?

Comments

• Tony
    Options
    You guys are letting me down for the first time![p]Is everybody watching football?[p]Now I have to wing the rest of this cook on my own.
    I'm not gong to share the results with you.[p]Take that. :)[p]

• if you want them hot, drizzle some Texas Pete on them, but don't let them dry out by overcooking. (take one off & taste- that'll tell you where you are in doneness & taste)
  • mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Options
    Tiger Tony,[p]So so sorry, not that I would have been able to help you, I have yet to make beef short ribs on the BGE. I for one would love to know how they turned out though.
    It will be our little secret.
    I promise ;)
    They started out looking like they would be great.[p]•Jill

• Tony
    Options
    mojopin,[p]LOL!!![p]OK, The beef short-ribs really turned of great! Actually much better then I expected. Even the ones with just salt and pepper that my daughter insisted that I don't use any sauce or seasoning on were surprisingly very good.[p]Here is how I cooked them:
    Indirect with raised grid , temp 240, it did sneak up to 280 for a little while, then I lowered it back down. After three hours, I opened the egg for the first time and decided to put them in a aluminum pan, poured in some OJ and covered with foil and placed back in the egg for 2 more hours. I removed them from the pan, (they were extremely tender) and placed them back on the grid. I brushed most of them with a mixture of Stubs basting sauce, worcestechere <(sp), Jack Miller's, and A-1. (I only had a little of each so that is why I mixed them :)
    I basted with the sauce, lid up for about 5-10 minutes. That's it![p]They were GREAT! Very tender and moist, just wonderful.[p]If you try some make certain that the are nice and meaty, some of the packs of short ribs in some grocery stores looked really skimpy.[p]Goes to show you , you don't need to know what you are doing to get great results cooking on the BGE.[p] [p]

• mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Options
    Tiger Tony,[p]Awesome! You're the best, I won't tell anyone I promise! LOL I can't wait to make these, they looked so meaty and good. The OJ sounds really good, even if you were just "cleaning out the fridge".[p]-Jill