Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Air Bikes: Assault vs. Sole SB800

Options
I've been commuting to work by bike this summer (as is my usual routine) and am dreading the imminent change in seasons that will bring an end out to my daily dose of cardio. 

I've been thinking I may purchase an air bike such that I can get a quick cardio workout in before work. I like the fact that it provides great cardio as well as a full body workout.

When I look online, the gold standard of air bikes appears to be the Assault (https://assaultfitness.com/), but I recently saw a comparable product on the Costco website, the Sole SB800 (https://m.costco.ca/Sole™-SB800-Light-Commercial-Air-Bike.product.100342312.html) that claims many advantages over the Assault. They are approximately the same price in my area.

I know it's a long shot, but can anyone speak to a comparison, or even just one or the other?

(Also, while I know that spinning bikes and bike trainers offer *some* of the same advantages as air bikes, I am strictly looking for input on air bikes here.)

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have tried a couple Air Bikes, but like my regular trainer---My only input is I don't see a great advantage over an air bike VS using your own ( but don;t know what you have)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I have tried a couple Air Bikes, but like my regular trainer---My only input is I don't see a great advantage over an air bike VS using your own ( but don;t know what you have)
    I currently have a hybrid. I see the advantages of the air bike as threefold: (i) the ability to adjust the resisted simply by pedal pressure, (ii) the engagement of many muscle groups during the exercise, and (iii) the convenience of having a stationary bike independentof my commuter bike, so as to minimize movement/setup of my road bike on a trainer. 

I've used the Assault once and liked it, but could see the Sole being much more ruggedly built. The sole just doesn't seem to have established the same reputation and following. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I currently have a hybrid. I see the advantages of the air bike as threefold: (i) the ability to adjust the resisted simply by pedal pressure, (ii) the engagement of many muscle groups during the exercise, and (iii) the convenience of having a stationary bike independentof my commuter bike, so as to minimize movement/setup of my road bike on a trainer. 

I've used the Assault once and liked it, but could see the Sole being much more ruggedly built. The sole just doesn't seem to have established the same reputation and following. 
    Valid Points, I guess where I am we can really ride 365 so indoor time is limited to non existent 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,296
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Unfortunately, I see snow nearly half the year (and lots of it), so I need my cardio to occur inside lest I adopt the shape and energy levels of a hibernating bear!
  • RiverRatSkier
    Options
    Not sure exactly your weather patterns, but in MN, winter bike commuting is very possible with the correct gear and some experimenting to find the correct clothing combinations.  That gear is probably cheaper than an exercise bike, and it actually gets you out of the house. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I bought an indoor trainer for my road bike a few years ago. I  NEVER use it! Absolutely hate stationary exercise eqpt. For me, a total waste of money. I see little difference between that and an air bike. It's still an indoor trainer. Ugh!

One of these winters, I'm going to attempt riding in the snow and cold. Looks like fun and probably less expensive than an air bike (assuming you already have a suitable bike). 

Check out winter cycling on YouTube. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    An air bike is not really a cardio tool in the sense that a bicycle is.  They are more for HIIT training and are among the most horrendous torture devices ever inflicted on mankind when used thusly. Try a fun little workout called 300 FU for a sample, or see if you can break 80 calories in 60 seconds.  

To get a cardio experience similar to your bicycle you will be much happier with something along the lines of a spin bike.  No one, NO ONE does a  1 or 2 hour ride on an air bike with anything resembling intensity.

The Assault brand is very solid and is used in a lot of crossfit gyms, I haven't bumped into the Sole brand, but I imagine the primary benefit of purchasing at Costco is that you can trade it in for about 2 dozen briskets later on.
  • GrateEggspectations
    edited August 2017
    Options
    An air bike is not really a cardio tool in the sense that a bicycle is.  They are more for HIIT training and are among the most horrendous torture devices ever inflicted on mankind when used thusly. Try a fun little workout called 300 FU for a sample, or see if you can break 80 calories in 60 seconds.  

To get a cardio experience similar to your bicycle you will be much happier with something along the lines of a spin bike.  No one, NO ONE does a  1 or 2 hour ride on an air bike with anything resembling intensity.

The Assault brand is very solid and is used in a lot of crossfit gyms, I haven't bumped into the Sole brand, but I imagine the primary benefit of purchasing at Costco is that you can trade it in for about 2 dozen briskets later on.
    I wasn't looking for a direct replacement for a standard bike - much in line with your assessment, this is what appeals about the air bikes. Will have to look up the 300 FU, as you have suggested. 

Now why'd you have to go ahead and bring up the C-word?.......

• Spaightlabs
    Options
    If you find anything about the Ass Bike appealing you'd prolly like crossfit...just don't let the culty people get to you - not everyone is like that, a nd you have to make sure you are willing to be responsible for your own safety at all times.

Assault bike tomorrow after deadlifts...10 minutes, every minute on the minute (EMOM) 20 calories...
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I, like Carolina Q,  hate to use the indoor trainer.  I have a set of Krietler Rollers that I much prefer over the trainer.  With rollers you have to pay attention to what you are doing or you will be flying off of them.  Roller's feedback improves your overall cycling balance and smooth pedaling ability.  You can spend about the same amount of $$ buying the rollers with a head wind fan....just my thoughts
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • GrateEggspectations
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If you find anything about the Ass Bike appealing you'd prolly like crossfit...just don't let the culty people get to you - not everyone is like that, a nd you have to make sure you are willing to be responsible for your own safety at all times.

Assault bike tomorrow after deadlifts...10 minutes, every minute on the minute (EMOM) 20 calories...
    I didn't intend to altogether discount crossfit with my above joke. Definitely see the benefits. There is no doubt that it can provide a phenomenal cardio workout.

My biggest beef with the approach is that the emphasis sometimes appears to be placed on the result (e.g., lifting a barbell above one's head, flipping a tire, etc.) absent any discussion of form, physiology and range of motion. I am certain that this is not always the case, but I have seen several examples. In line with what you have inferred, I think that taking this path can invite unnecessary injury.

While I have been working out a long time, I often favour the weights over cardio, so I'd really like to restore the balance. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I bought an indoor trainer for my road bike a few years ago. I  NEVER use it! Absolutely hate stationary exercise eqpt. For me, a total waste of money. I see little difference between that and an air bike. It's still an indoor trainer. Ugh!

One of these winters, I'm going to attempt riding in the snow and cold. Looks like fun and probably less expensive than an air bike (assuming you already have a suitable bike). 

Check out winter cycling on YouTube. 
    A Fat boy 29er would be helpful in winter muck and mire.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Try a fat bike. Alot of fun and work.  
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I've been looking at the Peloton. It's spendy and more like a spin bike, but I get really tired of the routine of putting my bike on the trainer and then taking it off again when the weather is decent enough to ride.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Spaightlabs
    Options

I didn't intend to altogether discount crossfit with my above joke. Definitely see the benefits. There is no doubt that it can provide a phenomenal cardio workout.

My biggest beef with the approach is that the emphasis sometimes appears to be placed on the result (e.g., lifting a barbell above one's head, flipping a tire, etc.) absent any discussion of form, physiology and range of motion. I am certain that this is not always the case, but I have seen several examples. In line with what you have inferred, I think that taking this path can invite unnecessary injury.

While I have been working out a long time, I often favour the weights over cardio, so I'd really like to restore the balance. 

I think you'll like the air bike - you can inflict a ton of pain in a short period of time and it is a solid upper and lower body effort to get the flywheel moving and keep it moving.  The best guys in our gym are the 225 - 235 pound guys who are wicked strong as well, but if the workout gets a little past pure sprint distance they tend to start to fall off the lead and the mid weight mid strength guys start to lead the results.

It's one of those things people love to hate because it hurts like hell, but generally for a short period of time.

Once in a while you can find a used one on Craigs List - some of the older Schwinn airlines (still a darn good bike) can be as low as $100 to $200 bikes and this category of training equipment, like a lot of training equipment that people buy for their homes, tends to not get used too much...
  • EggPlant
    EggPlant Posts: 70
    Options
    I have a keiser m3, pretty solid and highly rated spin bike.  You can find used ones for cheap on craigslist.
    Mundelein, IL
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    EggPlant said:
    I have a keiser m3, pretty solid and highly rated spin bike.  You can find used ones for cheap on craigslist.
    That does indeed look like a nice spin bike. Looks very solid bs sleek. 

I think my heart is set on an air bike though. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I have used an assault bike quite a bit. We call it the ass bike. I hate that thing, much prefer rowing 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I have used an assault bike quite a bit. We call it the ass bike. I hate that thing, much prefer rowing 
    I'm guessing you hate it for the same reason others seem to - it kicks your ass (hence "ass bike"!)!!
  • chipman
    chipman Posts: 85
    Options
    Put me in the camp of hating indoor trainers. But, if you must, and don't like using your own bike indoors, have a look at this.

Concept 2 is the top of the line rowing machine manufacturer and is now making a bike trainer. The great thing about their version is that you can use your own pedals on the bike. 

http://www.concept2.com/bikeerg/concept2-bikeerg