Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a little help from the SV crowd on doing a Prime Rib dinner

I have used the SV for chicken, steaks and chops, no problem.  Each serving has been in a separate vac bag so the timing was pretty simple.

We have family coming in tonight for the next 4 days and I want to have a Prime Rib dinner on Friday.  Picked up a 10.2 lb, 4 rib, prime today.  How long in the SV and at what temp.  I will of course be finishing it off on the XL.  I would really like to try it this way for timing purposes mainly, but also so as to not fark it up.

Thanks for the help,

Sonny
Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Ive not done exactly this but believe I'd bathe that hunk of goodness at 125 for for 4-8 hours before resting and searing.  That would provide for a MR roast.  Banquet ahead!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Sonny...good luck! I for one have never yet liked the taste of my PR let alone any other beef cooked and then reheated/whatever in my SV unit! Why??? Hard to explain, but like @fishlessman I just can NOT stand the taste of warmed over BEEF! If I have any left over...I slice it thin - hit with salt, then mix it in an iceberg salad and cover with a bleu cheese dressing and PIG OUT! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    RRP said:
    Sonny...good luck! I for one have never yet liked the taste of my PR let alone any other beef cooked and then reheated/whatever in my SV unit! Why??? Hard to explain, but like @fishlessman I just can NOT stand the taste of warmed over BEEF! If I have any left over...I slice it thin - hit with salt, then mix it in an iceberg salad and cover with a bleu cheese dressing and PIG OUT! 
    This ole boy has some experience.  So do I.  SV then sear and I'm pretty sure awesomeness awaits brother.  Call me out if I'm wrong.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • If you are going to SV then i would cut it in half (2 2-rib pieces). Two main reasons- you want to
    stay at a low temp (around 131 or so for PR) and it would take a very long time for the center of a 4 bone roast to hit safe temp. You would be in the danger zone too long and in the perfect environment to breed bad guys. 

2nd- you will have more surface area to sear when you have 2 smaller roasts as supposed to one large one. 

I would do 4-6 hours at 131 if you do a 2
    bone. I personally would not do
    a 4 bone sous vide for reasons stated above. I would just reverse sear. If you are hell bent on it, there are all kinds of charts and calculators out there that will tell you at what temp to cook each thickness of meat to remain safe. 

FWIW- I'm definitely in the reverse sear camp on steaks and prime rib but they can both be done SV with excellent results
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    bgebrent said:
    RRP said:
    This ole boy has some experience.  So do I.  SV then sear and I'm pretty sure awesomeness awaits brother.  Call me out if I'm wrong.
    @bgebrent
    Did a 6 hour, then seared to MR IT.
    Killer. Ends were MW.
    Delicious.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Prime rib is already plenty tender.  You're into the zone of diminishing reward on all the extra work you add to SV prime rib.   I'm a big proponent of SV, but try it and decide for yourself.
    I've had the best luck with SV PR by going longer and a bit higher than I originally thought. Say 9 hours at 129-130. Pull and pat thoroughly dry (retain the juice for Au Jus), then a nice sear on all sides. Haven't done anything larger than about 5 pounds. Appearance was incredible, but the flavor was just "Okay". Texture was fine.

My first couple of tries were shorter times and at 125. Didn't particularly care for the results.
    South SLO County
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Thank you all for the great input.  Now I am on the fence about SV or indirect/direct. I did cook one previously using the Ind/Dir method and it was great.   I will definitely take the suggestion about cutting it in half. Doing it this way will allow me to meeting the timing criteria a little better. And idea of the finish on two separate pieces is very appealing to me.

Thanks all for the taking the time to provide input.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    It's probably a bit of sacrilege, but my current favorite method is indirect with Oak for smoke until I hit about 115-118, I pull it and let it rest while I switch things up a bit. I set up either the Joetisserie or Weber Rotisserie and finish it off with a 15-20 minute spin. I seem to get the most flavor this way. Interior has a bit of smokiness and the crust is the best I've been able to make so far. 

Yes, you are piercing the meat after it is partially cooked. Yes, it does leave an ugly hole in the middle of your piece of PR, but the flavor is the payoff. Also gives a chance to throw some drippings into your Au Jus (I place a half pan of roasted veggies, herbs, and red wine under it during the spin, then use this to spruce up my Beef broth. Worcestershire and Rosemary are fairly prominent in my Au Jus).
    South SLO County
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Serious eats/reverse sear is my method of choice, on the rotisserie
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I would just roast it in the egg about 325 indirect until internal temp hits 125-130 then pull

salt pepper garlic powder 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf