Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you recommend BGE purchase to friends?

Options

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,973
    edited August 2017
    Options
    After 20+ years of BGE ownership, I have sold ALOT of eggs for this company. What usually gets people is this..."How many gas grills/other grills would I have had to replace in those 21 years?" That makes the price seem much more reasonable. Then I explain about buying a demo egg at an eggfest, then they taste the food, then it's usually a no-brainer. Plus, factor in the hobby part of it, the elevation of cooking skills, and the other Egghead friends that we actually get to meet at Eggfests, friends that I still visit and have alot of fun with. I really don't know of any other cooker that can do all of that.

My post after I found the receipt for my very first BGE:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1199950/20-years-of-bge-ownership/p1
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    its just a grill, never seen a need to push my choice in grills
    This. In any case, the subject never comes up. If someone did ask, we'd discuss what I know; my kettle, the Akorn Jr and the egg, but I'd also tell em to check out all the various ones out there. Frankly, other than warranty and price, it's the cook, not the grill anyway. I have been using my Akorn Jr for a couple of months now and the food tastes the same as that cooked on my egg. For $74 vs $800ish. 

I would suggest they look at a good gasser too. My brother has a nice Weber and I've never had anything from it that wasn't outstanding. He's had it for years, far longer than the 8 years I've had my egg, unsheltered in his backyard. Still works great and more convenient by far! Probably about the same price as a large egg.

Not sure about winter cooking on a gasser. I haven't owned one in a very long time and I know I wouldn't have tried it back then. Anyone know? I have tried a kettle in cold weather. Sucks. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    Options
    It's like owning a dog.  Some people ask me if they should get a dog for his/her family. My typical response would be if they do not care for the dog everyday. Who take care of it. It'll be you. 

Same idea.  Don't get egg for someone else.  The person who wants the egg will know he/she wants the egg. 
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    Options
    This. In any case, the subject never comes up. If someone did ask, we'd discuss what I know; my kettle, the Akorn Jr and the egg, but I'd also tell em to check out all the various ones out there. Frankly, other than warranty and price, it's the cook, not the grill anyway. I have been using my Akorn Jr for a couple of months now and the food tastes the same as that cooked on my egg. For $74 vs $800ish. 

I would suggest they look at a good gasser too. My brother has a nice Weber and I've never had anything from it that wasn't outstanding. He's had it for years, far longer than the 8 years I've had my egg, unsheltered in his backyard. Still works great and more convenient by far! Probably about the same price as a large egg.

Not sure about winter cooking on a gasser. I haven't owned one in a very long time and I know I wouldn't have tried it back then. Anyone know? I have tried a kettle in cold weather. Sucks. 
    We cooked on our gas Weber in the snow a bunch.

Weber's customer service is friendly and amazing too. Open 7 days a week in the U.S. A rep I had spoken with called me for the serial number, thinking I had forgotten to register it. We had had a really nice conversation and he was going to send a little thank you. I had to tell him we returned it. Yet he sent two big grill mitts anyway, the kind that go up to the elbow. I happened to meet the regional Weber rep at the egg dealer; really nice guy. 
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    So many of my friends want a BGE but in the UK they're even more expensive than US. Now £950 for a large (price went up from £800 after the pound dropped following Brexit vote!). Still not met another BGE owner
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    One can only save the savable. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    bjeans said:
    We cooked on our gas Weber in the snow a bunch.
    Thanks, Beth. I keep thinking I'll find a used one and convert it to lava rocks like my 80s gasser. Loved that thing!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options

I had a Weber Genesis grill for a bit over 20 years that I used year round. Winter was never a problem for the sort of stuff I would cook on that.

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain and a Kettle and they work ok in the winter. Some folks would make windscreens or use blankets to help deal with cold windy conditions which really helps.

I have a Slow n Sear for my kettle which is a nice accessory but about the only thing I use my kettle for anymore is wings and for that use winter really doesn't impact that.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    I recommend them all the time. If someone balks at the price, I tell them how to get one at a huge discount by buying a demo from an Eggfest. I know at least two people who have done that and they thank me every time they see me.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    I've meet some awesome people because of my Big Green Egg. Many have become really good friends. I wouldn't trade that for anything. BBQ isn't one of the more popular things here in MN. The few that have took interest in the Big Green Egg have both ended up buying Kamado Joes. It doesn't bother me any. The eggers here and out in the community are good peeps. I'd expect no different with a different color kamado. Enjoy what you do. Buy what you want. Life's too short to care about what other people are buying. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I had a Weber Genesis grill for a bit over 20 years that I used year round. Winter was never a problem for the sort of stuff I would cook on that.

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain and a Kettle and they work ok in the winter. Some folks would make windscreens or use blankets to help deal with cold windy conditions which really helps.

I have a Slow n Sear for my kettle which is a nice accessory but about the only thing I use my kettle for anymore is wings and for that use winter really doesn't impact that.

Thanks. I'll keep looking for my used Weber. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    The eggers here and out in the community are good peeps. 
    Speaking of which, how's Adam? Haven't heard from him in ages!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    The eggers here and out in the community are good peeps. 
    Speaking of which, how's Adam? Haven't heard from him in ages!
    He's doing good. Busy with family and work. I ended up selling him my XL a few months back. He's on a different bbq forum through Facebook now. It would be nice to see some more familiar faces here on the forum. Especially with Photobucket being crap on the old forum. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I tell people to buy Weber Kettles or WSMs.  I have six BGEs, why would they listen to a crazy person like that?  I only recommend if they ask, but in reality the Weber's are the best grill when considering price.  I used kettles and a trusty old WSM in the summer and winter without any "real" issue before buying my first egg in 2009.  I loved my first kettle and WSM, kinda wish I didn't give them away from a sentimental point of view.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Everyone I know is aware how much I'm into the Egg.  But most only cook frozen "hamburgers", you know the ones, where there is a warning on the box saying 'May contain meat'.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    Everyone I know is aware how much I'm into the Egg.  But most only cook frozen "hamburgers", you know the ones, where there is a warning on the box saying 'May contain meat'.
    Hahaha, excellent!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TobvW77tuwQ
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    I think that my Egg would spit them out and then lock the lid shut until she cooled off.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    These are the very people who could experience the greatest benefit. 
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    I've "sold" one BGE and one Akorn. Interestingly enough, both of those people are more adventurous cooks than I am, and use their kamados far more creatively than I do mine. I'm strictly steaks/burgers/chicken and brisket/pork butt/ribs.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yes and the alternatives.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    To me I thank our guest and my family when they compliment my cooks, but I only offer info when asked. It is a personal thing,kinda like buying someone's prepackaged rubs, that never stack up to my own rubs(guest comments) not mine.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    I will talk about the egg when asked.  I also tell people to do their own research before buying.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    No....just invite them over...they can figure it out.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I actually bought a large, BGE table, lump, starters, grill grabber, ash tool, smoking chips, cover, you name it for my daughter and future son-in-law for Christmas 2015. Never had food off one before that. Then bought a few for myself afterwards. [ yeah I only have 1 child and she might be a little spoiled =)
  • coltswin
    Options
    Let's face it-all quality kamados are expensive. But, I've tried Kamado Joe and Grill Dome and I still think BGE tops them both in quality. Like the saying goes, "If it doesn't say Big Green Egg, it isn't!"
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    I wasn't proselytized. I was the happy recipient of ribs smoked on an XL.

When I said I wanted to buy a BGE, my friend from Perry, GA sold me one he had purchased for someone else who did not honor their commitment.

I'm happy. I just purchased a SS table and may have pics this weekend. 

Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Flatfoot
    Flatfoot Posts: 96
    edited August 2017
    Options
    bjeans said:

I agree with you for many people. But while our hotdogs on our Weber were good, the hotdogs on the Egg are weirdly great. I'd like a mini (not minimax) to go along with the large for those quicker, smaller cooks. Maybe for my husband's birthday next month, not that he wants one. 

At a Nats game last week I spent three innings talking grilling with our usher, who has a huge smoker. He's bringing homemade rubs for us to the next game we go to. 
    I bought my large three years ago as a retirement gift to me!  My wife bought me a mini for Christmas a couple of years later. I probably use it 3 out of 5 times that I cook. Perfect for empty nesters like us for a quick entree. I wouldn't want to give up my large, but I can promise that your husband will love the mini!  
    LBGE, MM, & Mini. Weber Smokey Joe for a knockabout. 
    "Honestly, Honey!  Just one more Egg, and one more gun, and I'll be done!"
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I tell them it  is my favorite but Since we cook steaks more than anything else that I would want a good small gasser like my webber Q first then get the XL BGE for the larger cooks and three times a month brisket or pork butt.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston