Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

refridgerator pickling garlic ?

Options
any safety hazards without bringing it to a boil if  i stick to a standard vinegar,salt sugar recipe

just picked a bunch

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Refrigerate or acidity and you are safe.
    Options
    I know botulism is an issue with garlic in oil, but that's about it. Search for garlic food safety. 

Here's one... http://ucfoodsafety.ucdavis.edu/files/250352.pdf

Be careful... would hate to lose you!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Would a couple hours at 140 in the sous vide kill everything first? Its a lot less work than boiling and then jarring
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    poster said:
    Would a couple hours at 140 in the sous vide kill everything first? Its a lot less work than boiling and then jarring
    i did that with the scapes and have a jar of just vinegar and spice that i sous vided the extra with thats ready to go. might do some just cold and some sousvide to see the difference, i know hot canning just turns them to mush. i think it was 2.5 hours at 140 i did the scapes at and there was still some crunch.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Refrigerate or acidity and you are safe.
    going to do some just cold, looks like they need to sit outside in the shade a couple weeks first.
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Options
    You are not going to kill botulism spores in a SV.  250F is required.  Acidity or refrigerate.
    Options
    I know botulism is an issue with garlic in oil, but that's about it. Search for garlic food safety. 

Here's one... http://ucfoodsafety.ucdavis.edu/files/250352.pdf

Be careful... would hate to lose you!

a lot of years i just put the garlic in oil in a tupperware on the fridge top where its warm and never died, learned it at the prince groto restaurant owned by prince spaghetti pasta. then they came out with that safety warning and havent done it since =)  i used to leave it there for several months at a time and just add to it
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    You are not going to kill botulism spores in a SV.  250F is required.  Acidity or refrigerate.
    so salt, sugar and vinegar with a short sousvide would be dangerous then refridgerate.  ive done this with pickles to quicken the process, ready next day. ill trust you though, being garlic makes it more iffy for me
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Should be fine.  If the pH is still around 3 or lower when you're done. 
    Options
    Should be fine.  If the pH is still around 3 or lower when you're done. 
    was just looking up acidity, should probably stick with plain white vinegar, the apple ciders run 3 to 5ph, something i did not know
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Below 4.6.  Sorry.  You should be fine.
    Options
    Below 4.6.  Sorry.  You should be fine.
    always mixed white and cider together 50/50, thats what i have premixed from the last time i canned sousvide then refrigerator.
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,105
    Options
    Quick pickling, never tried with garlic
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin