Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you recommend BGE purchase to friends?

Options
Here's how it goes down...
  • I post a picture of a cook on social media.
  • Friends say, "Wow! I need to get one of those," and ask about the Egg.  I tell them I love it.
  • They reply back after looking into it, "Those are really expensive.  Maybe some day."
  • And then I tell them about another product to look at instead.
It doesn't seem like BGE is bending to any of the competitive pressure but they must be losing customers in scenarios like I described.  Is there any chance they are looking to bundle eggs with accessories or offer some incentive to bring in new owners to the family?

I can't in good conscious recommend it to friends when the cost is so high and brands like KJ offer virtually the same products, cheaper, with all the accessories you'd have to buy, and with a similar warranty.

I know this may be heresy to post on this forum, but I'm wondering what others do. I do love the egg and typically go out of my way to support domestic companies that deliver a quality product by recommending it to friends.

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

I can't in good conscious recommend it to friends when the cost is so high and brands like KJ offer virtually the same products, cheaper, with all the accessories you'd have to buy, and with a similar warranty.

FWIW, this is no longer true.  KJ has recently upgraded several design features and raised the prices.  Pricing is very comparable now. 

But as for your question, Yes. I recommend BGE to my family and friends.  I typically have the same interaction that you do, but I typically compare pricing to high end gassers.  If you are willing to spend $500 on a product that will eventually rust out, then you are probably willing to see the value in a more expensive tool that has a lifetime warranty.  If they already have an expensive grill, I recommend that they consider BGE when they need to replace. 

In general, I find that people just don't prioritize it.  And if they are just burger and dogs people, I don't blame them.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I do recommend it but I also add another caveat to the expense: It's dirty. Not everyone wants to muck around with real charcoal and greasy grates. So far, none of my friends have purchased one.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    Options
    We were just burgers, dogs and occasional steak people. Well, my husband was. Squirrels chewed the wires in our gas Weber. Got another, husband put it together, looked at the wires, scratched our heads, contacted a metal fabricating company to protect it, didn't want to spend the $$ for their three options, remembered the BGE - no wires/dome too heavy for even our hardiest raccoon - had the dealer pick up the Weber and swap for the egg, have paid two or three times the $$ as for the metal solutions and still counting, and I became egg-obsessed. So it goes. Occasionally. 
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Yes, I strongly recommend to those interested in "full" grilling, BBQ, smoking.  Just like everything in life - wine, cars, etc - everyone makes their own choices on how much to spend and on the value they receive (or perceive) for those $ spent.  I've had two friends buy eggs and several come back with the same comments you note - and not buy but continue to come to my house when I egg!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    its just a grill, never seen a need to push my choice in grills
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I think it would be irresponsible to recommend a BGE or any kamado cooker to all friends/acquaintances. As suggested above, not everyone has the time, patience or interest in the learning curve to get the most out of it, or wants to mess with charcoal. If someone has no interest in smoking ribs or hunks of beef/pork and/or pizzas a BGE probably doesn't make sense. I grilled hot dogs on the gasser last night and it took about 10 minutes start to served. The ability to do that and quickly is more important to many, though they also always seem to enjoy food off the BGE.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Atl_Buckeye
    Options
    I am very new to the BGE but I am already hooked. I love playing around and learning this device and experimenting with different foods. Hanging out on the deck having a few drinks and being master of the protein!

I had a conversation this past weekend about this topic. There are a couple of things that I bring up. 1st off the cost of the egg IS expensive. However, if treated with care should pretty much last a lifetime with a few repairs along the way as opposed to spending $400 every three years replacing your rusted out gas grill.

The other thing is, if all you are interested in is grilling hamburgers and steaks 3 times a summer then the egg probably isn't what you are looking for. If you are interested in learning but not sure it is for you, go get an akorn for $300 and see if you like it. It will last you a few years an you should see if its for you before a major investment
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    its just a grill, never seen a need to push my choice in grills
    In my case, it's not a push.  But people see the results and want to own one.  So they ask.  Then they get sticker shock.  =)
    johnnyp said:
    FWIW, this is no longer true.  KJ has recently upgraded several design
    That's good intel.  I'll check current prices. (BGE w/ accessories vs. KJ)  I don't want to send someone anywhere else if this is the case.

Again, I love the product. Just curious if others have similar interactions and how it goes down.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I recommend the kamado style to those that don't have one.
    Options
    I think it would be irresponsible to recommend a BGE or any kamado cooker to all friends/acquaintances. As suggested above, not everyone has the time, patience or interest in the learning curve to get the most out of it, or wants to mess with charcoal. If someone has no interest in smoking ribs or hunks of beef/pork and/or pizzas a BGE probably doesn't make sense. I grilled hot dogs on the gasser last night and it took about 10 minutes start to served. The ability to do that and quickly is more important to many, though they also always seem to enjoy food off the BGE.
    I agree with you for many people. But while our hotdogs on our Weber were good, the hotdogs on the Egg are weirdly great. I'd like a mini (not minimax) to go along with the large for those quicker, smaller cooks. Maybe for my husband's birthday next month, not that he wants one. 

At a Nats game last week I spent three innings talking grilling with our usher, who has a huge smoker. He's bringing homemade rubs for us to the next game we go to. 
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I think it would be irresponsible to recommend a BGE or any kamado cooker to all friends/acquaintances. As suggested above, not everyone has the time, patience or interest in the learning curve to get the most out of it, or wants to mess with charcoal.
    My deciding point as well! After all these years I have a pretty good idea what makes our friends tick and I know whether they have the patience. One in particular is my b-i-l. He was hung-ho and I was able to talk him out of it! Why? he bitches when his gas grill doesn't get hot enough fast enough!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Yes, I recommend the BGE to anyone who asks.  And in some cases, yes they get sticker shocked and move on.  My younger brother can not afford a BGE, so he bought an Acorn and uses it. Accomplishes the same end goal and is something that he can afford.  He will eventually end up with a ceramic type grill when the time is right.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I recommended them to several people at work. The boss got one, was quite happy. Another guy bought one for his sister, she was quite happy. Another thought they were way too expensive. He found one on Craigslist at a price he could go for. According to his wife, he immediately made the best ribs he'd ever done. He had to admit it was a really fine cooker.

At the time, there wasn't really that much competition that had the same features or were less expensive but did not have the same feature/accessory list.

And it is true, most people are so used to gasser convenience that even a Weber using briquets is to much time and work. I suppose there are lots of people who never even kindled a fire, and the notion that doing anything but turning a switch is daunting.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I call it the "Green Egg High" phenomenon.
    We all get it, then we come down, and realize the hot dogs, chicken, etc off the Weber were just as good, if not better.

I fit the grill rec to the griller, budget.  I've sold more OTGs than BGEs, and this was before the first price increase.  3 OTGs, 2 Performers, 5 WSMs, 2 Jumbo Joes, 1 small egg.  But I run with losers, who work at Aldi.  Got two buddies on the fence with ceramic, I don't foresee them jumping over though, but they're intrigued.

The ceramic all year grilling is a huge plus here IMO, but you can cook sub zero with Webers, just more work, babysitting.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    KiterTodd said:

FWIW, this is no longer true.  KJ has recently upgraded several design features and raised the prices.  Pricing is very comparable now. 

But as for your question, Yes. I recommend BGE to my family and friends.  I typically have the same interaction that you do, but I typically compare pricing to high end gassers.  If you are willing to spend $500 on a product that will eventually rust out, then you are probably willing to see the value in a more expensive tool that has a lifetime warranty.  If they already have an expensive grill, I recommend that they consider BGE when they need to replace. 

In general, I find that people just don't prioritize it.  And if they are just burger and dogs people, I don't blame them.

Retail pricing of Kamado Joe's is pretty close to a BGE but the prices at one of their Costco Roadshows is still quite a bit less expensive.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited August 2017
    Options
    IMO, a BGE isn't for just anyone. It requires a commitment (and lotsa patience) to which many people are unwilling to do, that being said I find myself (these days) recommending a PBC to the casual weekend bbqer
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    If someone doesn't already have a charcoal grill I suggest they just get a Weber Kettle first. Start there and see if they really do want to mess with charcoal.

They're inexpensive, ubiquitous, lot of accessories available, huge user community, etc.

If they are just asking about  a kamado type I tell them to look at all their options (BGE, KJ, Primo, etc.) as they all have pros/cons.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Do I recommend it? Yes. And they all say "it costs a lot, and you cook great stuff, we'll just come visit and bring wine".

Fine with me. :D
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Do I recommend it? Yes. And they all say "it costs a lot, and you cook great stuff, we'll just come visit and bring wine".

Fine with me. :D
    Like a buddy with a boat, you keep them around.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    Options
    I see no problem with making people aware of the alternatives. I own two medium BGE's but if I were buying new right now, I would certainly be researching any alternatives. Why would I treat my friends differently? If they show me the respect of seeking my advice and listening to what I say, why wouldn't I give them as unbiased an opinion as possible rather than a knee jerk fanboy response?

For those stunned by the high price of the majority of kamado's worth buying, I make sure they are aware of cheaper solutions such as a Weber, Pit Barrel Cooker, pellet smoker, etc. Seems to me that we all benefit from getting more people involved in smoking in general, it doesn't matter the smoker they use....

Sorry, seem to have found myself on a bit of a soapbox there, climbing down now.....
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    If someone asks questions about the BGE, I'll answer questions. If they keep asking, then I'll explain it a lot more. The Egg is not cheap. And let's face it, the BGE is not the best smoker, not the best grill, not the best pizza oven, not the best at anything, but it is good for all of those things. If that sounds like something the person is interested in, then maybe a ceramic cooker is for them. 
    I have a cousin that went with a BGE and he likes it, but he doesn't grill often. A friend that grills often, but went with an Akorn and loves it. Don't know anyone who went for a Komodo Kamado. Those are really expensive. 
    If they really want one, I tell them to look at the KJ roadshow. It's hard to beat those prices for what is basically the same thing as the BEG, but they already come with all the accessories for a lower price.
    I have a BGE and a KJ. Both work great.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    I always recommend the BGE. When they get sticker shock, I argue that for years I was replacing $400 gas grills about every 4-5 years. The BGE last a lifetime. A thousand bucks well spent....Of course I leave out the part where you spend several more hundred on eggcessories. :)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Most people rave about the food they're served, but doesn't translate into taking up the hobby themselves.  

There must be people in my part of the country who share my obsession with outdoor cooking, but I have yet to meet them.  I think I need to move more East.
    Phoenix 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    I have recommended BGE to a number of my friends.  Many have purchased and recommended BGE to their friends and many purchased. 

It is the Swiss Army Cooker in that it does everything very well and some things better than others.

My Weber Genisis is probably 15 years old or older.  It will not die and if I need to cook something quickly and without smoke (foil packs of vegetables, hot dogs for the grandkids, etc) I still use it.  When not in use it is my go-to storage device for the pieces I am not using on my egg at the time!

That being said, it takes some patience and planning to use the Egg and many people may not have those in their attitude arsenal.  (Good point @RRP)

I point this out to anyone who asks and then ask them over to enjoy some smoked spatchcock chicken.  At that point... the sale is done!

I'm not so "brand" dependent and have friends who have gone red... no worries.  The additional benefit to an Egg style cooker is the camaraderie of the Eggers.  This has been the biggest advantage by far beyond the simple enjoyment of cooking on my eggs.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I recommended KJ to one of my friends because of my frustration with the underbite on my LBGE. (Underbite is now fixed with new bands but that solution was 2 years after my friend bought a KJ.)
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    If somebody asks questions, I answer them but I don't proselytize. When they get shocked about the price I have a few stock questions for them: how much was your hunting camp lease for one year, how much was that boat and how many times did you use it last year, how much extra did you pay for 4 wheel drive. Then I say everybody has a hobby and they are seldom cheap but at least mine has a lifetime warrantee.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I recommend it to people who like to cook, and are interested in grilling/smoking/outdoor cooking.  I tell them it's not the best grill or best smoker, but it does a lot of things well and is versatile, and a lot of fun to cook on.

If cooking is a hobby then the egg is a reasonable price, compared to boating, hunting, fishing, golf, etc.  If all you want to do is grill a burger or a dog, there are cheaper ways.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Of course I'd recommend BGE if someone asks my opinion but that's it. I'm not hawking grills to my friends and family. They come over, they eat the food, they know it was cooked on the egg. They are sold on every corner around here so most folks know where to find one if they want to buy. 

One thing I will say is that the BGE and its  culture has helped me make some great lifelong friends. I am very humbled to be around so many great people that are BGE like minded. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I bought mine after having a client cook a whole pork loin on his. I always thought mine were good on the Weber. After I tasted his, I asked my wife, when she picked me up at the airport, to take me straight to the distributor. That was 2 eggs ago. I think my cooks have sold at least another dozen or so.
    I did not have to tell them a thing, other than, "yes, I like it."
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Yes.  I tell them it will change their lives.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA