Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Sardines

Options
I'll admit off the bat, this cook was done on my Weber kettle.  It has been neglected lately so I wanted to give it a quick cook.  Picked up 3 fresh sardines from the farmers market on sunday for a late breakfast. Olive oil, salt, crushed red pepper, finished with lime.  Came out great and I didn't mind picking through the bones.  

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Dayam that looks good.
    One thing I don't like about living in utard is the 95% absence of fresh, whole fish (there are trout to be had in the mountain streams, one of my bucket list items when I retire).  I've been TDY to the coasts enough times to really appreciate whole, grilled pisces!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Oh my.... just don't think I could do it..  :o
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Awesome. I would have never thought of that. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Nice cook, looks great
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Well there you go.  I had no idea what a sardine looked like.  

I won't be copying your cook, but i liked your post.  My kettles are in regular rotation, great cookers.
    Phoenix 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    That last pic has to be up there with a dirty fork pic. 
    Snellville, GA

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    blasting said:

Well there you go.  I had no idea what a sardine looked like.  

I won't be copying your cook, but i liked your post.  My kettles are in regular rotation, great cookers.
    Sardines aren't a specific species of fish, they're just young oily fish of a number of species. But they do all tend to look alike.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Those sardines look fantastic!! I love grilled sardines.  I order them often at a local restaurant, but haven't tried making them myself.  Another one for the to-do list.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options

Mine always break up when I move them from the little can to the grill. And I never thought to gut them! Oh well.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Those sardines look fantastic!! I love grilled sardines.  I order them often at a local restaurant, but haven't tried making them myself.  Another one for the to-do list.
    Yep, those looks great.  I would totally do that.
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Kayak said:

Mine always break up when I move them from the little can to the grill. And I never thought to gut them! Oh well.

those are fresh and big from a seafood counter, not the little canned ones
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i dont see these often but i like the leftovers next day in a sandwich best, looks good
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Kayak said:

I think he was kidding. Maybe. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Kayak said:

I think he was kidding. Maybe. :)
    probably. never thought to cut the heads off or gut them before grilling, you just throw them on the grill and eat around it
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks like a European Pilchard
    Options
    Wished I had not opened this thread. You folks enjoy this one....I'm out.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Pasta con le sarde is one of the national dishes of Sicily and is one of the best things you'll ever eat.  Also has anchovies.

I love this type of food. 
    Options
    Speaking of little fish, is it possible to find fresh anchovies outside of Italy? Molly once posted a cook she and Enrico did using fresh ones, but they were in Italy at the time. I've never seen anchovies (or sardines for that matter) except in cans. Maybe I have to move to NYC or SF...or Italy? I don't want them that badly!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Speaking of little fish, is it possible to find fresh anchovies outside of Italy? Molly once posted a cook she and Enrico did using fresh ones, but they were in Italy at the time. I've never seen anchovies (or sardines for that matter) except in cans. Maybe I have to move to NYC or SF...or Italy? I don't want them that badly!
    They are available in our restaurant depot, fresh.
    Options
    Ooh, will be getting some.  Thanks!
    NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thx. Will check it out. But Nola RD could possibly be different than Hartford CT RD. Ya think? =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Ooh, will be getting some.  Thanks!
    They are not stocked as reliably as some species, but they were there a few weeks ago.

@Carolina Q  Every RD caters to local market demands.  New Orleans is a big seafood city so we have a big seafood market in our RD.