Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me pick an Adjustable rig - need to purchase today.

Options
First, let me say I've had 2 phone calls with Tom and he has tried his best to help me figure things out.. That said, I am still unsure what I want/need and I am trying to not bother Tom again. I need to order something today as I need to cook next weekend. 

My platesetter broke and I have decided to replace with something nicer. I am torn between the customer combo and the RB unit and unsure if either will fit my needs without additional add ons. 

If I purchase the R&B combo, will I be able to use the supplied oval stone on the bottom rack of the AR to provide enough indirect coverage to cook (2) boston butts low and slow? Will i need anything else? 

I would love to have the ability to add a 3rd butt on rare occasion but I think that would mean that I need the customer combo. If I understand Tom (and other post on the forum) correctly the 13" stone on the spider is the only way to have enough room to add an additional butt on the AR. However, for the majority of cooks when I am only doing 2 butts the spider is not enough ideal and I will want to purchase additional stones/drip pans?

I can live without the additional butt option and take the R&B combo if it's best for my needs.. Most of my cooking is low slow 2 butts at a time, perhaps a few racks of ribs, occasionally a brisket flat, and lately lots of chicken wings. I find the factory grate to be space limiting on the wings and would love to be able to add a second layer. I also find the platesetter allows wings on the outside edges to burn and hope that the oblong stone combined with cooking higher may help? FWIW, cooking pizza is not of much interest to me. I rarely use the BGE as a grill but that may change once I have an elevated cooking surface. 

The RB combo mentioned included slide guides. Does that mean I will be able to slide the oblong grate forward for easy access while cooking?

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Disclaimer:  I have the customer combo (with some add ons) and I've been very happy with it.

Yes, the oval stone goes on the bottom rack of the AR, effectively taking away one cooking level.  However, I'm not sure you have a enough clearance in any configuration to get three butts vertically with one on each level.  You should be able to get two on the lower level easily. 

One thing to remember, too, is that you need a level for the drip pan.  I usually put that on the spider/round stone (using spacers), so the bottom level of the AR is still usable.

The main advantage of the oblong stone is to protect the edges from direct heat, like when doing brisket or ribs.  I address that with foil and the drip pan - extending both beyond the edges of the round stone.

If butts are your primary cook, I'd get the round stone/spider set up.  The spider is also useful for other cooks - like woks or dropping a grid low over the fire to sear.

Yes the slide guides will let the oblong grids slide out during a cook, as long as they are raised above the felt line. 

The raised grid extender is a must, IMO.  Great for pizza and getting chickens high in the dome.
    NOLA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    I have the R&B combo and have added the spider and stone. Maximum versatility 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Just pick one and be done with it. You'll be happy with either one. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Just pick one and be done with it. You'll be buying the rest of it soon enough anyway.

Fixed that.
    NOLA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Spider, AR, oval stone, drip tray, round stone
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You want the spider and stone with the AR if you plan on l and s multi-level cooking.
    Spider is awesome with a 16" CS wok.

I've done four 8 lbers on the large, the max I would personally do for a grill this size, I don't like them crammed, touching, rubbing, messes up the best part bark.

Mine are the round grids, round 12" BGE stone, and I've been really happy with it.  For ribs, I cover the ends of the round grid with a piece of HDAF.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Focker said:
    You want the spider and stone with the AR if you plan on l and s multi-level cooking.

I've done four 8 lbers on the large, the max I would personally do for a grill this size, I don't like them crammed, touching, rubbing, messes up the best part bark.

Mine are the round grids, round 12" BGE stone, and I've been really happy with it.  For ribs, I cover the ends of the round grid with a piece of HDAF.
    Do you still use the round stone for brisket?

Little Rock, AR

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    My. 02- I actually went to the store in Denton.... http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1200177/ceramic-grill-store-visit

Anyway after getting that great tour of the shop and deciding on the PS Woo I couldnt be happier all this time.  Its what works for what we cook- thats I think the most important question.  I will go back and figure out a way to get another rack to use here and there but thats all I am missing.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Focker said:

Do you still use the round stone for brisket?
    LOL,  
    All the time!
    The edges get even more dried out for a distressed look, similar to the sheath of my Buck 110. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I sort of read the details ( early day off= some bourbon has been imbibed) but it seems that you need the R&B combo.

If you find that you need another level for a third butt, you could get the spider and stone or an extender and grid later on. Tell all those folks who give you random ties/socks/other shiite for Xmas/birthdays/Father's day whatever to just give you a  gift card or $$ for what you need. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    CGS would be smart to make a bunch of YouTube videos. Their offerings are confusing and the website is less than optimal. That said their products are spectacular!  
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Jclayto
    Jclayto Posts: 27
    Options
    Alright guys, confession time. This is probably enough to get me kicked off the forum. I added all the parts to my cart at CGS and chickened out at the last moment when I saw the total over $200. I went by my local hardware store and found that all grilling accessories were on sale. I walked out with a platesetter and Smokeware stacked grate for $110 out the door. 

No where near the flexibility of an AR, but probably more than enough for what I do. 

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I bought the rig, two oval grids, sliding D grid, extender, oval stone, round stone, two grid sliders, and four long crossbars, and both sizes of stainless drip pans. Covers every cook I can think of. 

Double foil the pans for no mess cleanup. 

Just read your last post. Better prep that wallet to hang out here!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Glad to hear you are back in action.