Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vietnamese Caramel Chicken

Options
Recipe from Lisa Fetterman's "Sous Vide at Home". Shout out to @JohnInCarolina for recommending this book. 

Fish sauce, brown sugar, and chicken went in a bag. Sous vide  150°F for 90 mins.

Grilled the chix direct at 400°F to get some char.

Put the wok on to make the sauce with ginger, garlic, lemongrass, and the bag juice.  Rice vinegar, lime juice, and Thai basil added at the end to finish it.  

Bok choy and egg fried rice on the BS.

Turned out to be a great meal. It wasn't too sweet, and the flavors really worked well together. Will probably add it to the rotation. 

Finished the day with some bread. It was underproofed because I've had to modify my bread protocol for summer. 75% whole wheat from Flour Water Salt Yeast.

Hope everyone else had a fun weekend of cooking as well :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Looks amazing---I've now opted out of posting my boring cook =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Looks great. Always looking for new ways to use the wok!
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Damn!  What a feast.  Great cook and use of different techniques man!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Whoa!  Looks like you used every tool in the arsenal.  nicely done
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,070
    Options
    I'm doing that chicken thing, looks fantastic.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    Very impressive indeed!
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Nice, bookmarked. Speaking of fish sauce I discovered Red Boat 40*N recently, what a difference!
    canuckland
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Damn Cali!!    That's all 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Another amazing meal coming out of the Calipalace!!  I haven't heard of that sous vide book.  Sounds like I might need to add that one to the "library".

Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    It all looks wonderful, and sounds scrumptious!

I didn't see in the steps where the caramel came in.  Did I miss it?  Vietnamese caramel sauce always sounds so good, but I've never made caramel, and making the caramel and then putting more liquid stuff into a super-hot caramel sounds sort of scary, somehow, so I've never made it.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Whoa!  Looks like you used every tool in the arsenal.  nicely done
    Not quite. But I didn't realize how gizmos were in play until you mentioned it  :)

• caliking
    Options
    @EggObsessed I'm digging this book a lot. Picked it up from the library and then bought it. JIC has cooked a bunch of the recipes too, and seems to like it as well. 

Made ginger syrup and fennel liqueur from it too. Ginger margaritas were a real winner. 

• caliking
    Options
    Nice, bookmarked. Speaking of fish sauce I discovered Red Boat 40*N recently, what a difference!
    Great minds think alike! That's exactly the fish sauce I have in my pantry now. It does taste much better than the one I used to have. 

The chix was cooked sous vide with 1 cup of fish sauce and 1-2 cup of brown sugar. I was almost certain the fish sauce would dominate all of the other ingredients, but was surprised  that it didn't. 

• Canugghead
    Options
    Wow, I'd be hesitant to use 1/2 cup of fish sauce, let alone one!
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    Theophan said:
    It all looks wonderful, and sounds scrumptious!

I didn't see in the steps where the caramel came in.  Did I miss it?  Vietnamese caramel sauce always sounds so good, but I've never made caramel, and making the caramel and then putting more liquid stuff into a super-hot caramel sounds sort of scary, somehow, so I've never made it.
    I don't have much experience with Asian caramel sauces, but do know that I like them. I think the caramel refers to cooking the juice (chicken drippings, brown sugar, fish sauce) until thickened and bubbly. That's probably when the sugar caramelizes, though not quite the way we think of it. 

• caliking
    Options
    Wow, I'd be hesitant to use 1/2 cup of fish sauce, let alone one!
    I totally agree with you. I got the proportions a bit mixed up though - 1/2 cup fish sauce and 1 cup brown sugar for a 5lb chicken.  Still way more fish sauce than I have ever used in a recipe. 

The author is Asian (at least partly) , so I figured she probably knows how to use fish sauce, and decided to trust her. 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    caliking said:
    I don't have much experience with Asian caramel sauces, but do know that I like them. I think the caramel refers to cooking the juice (chicken drippings, brown sugar, fish sauce) until thickened and bubbly. That's probably when the sugar caramelizes, though not quite the way we think of it. 
    You may be right -- I know nothing about Vietnamese cooking, and very little about Asian cooking in general.  But I have a couple of recipes for Vietnamese or Asian caramel sauces, and no kidding, you make caramel!  Here's a brief snip from one of them:
    Make sauce:
    Cook sugar in a dry 1- to 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, undisturbed, until it melts around edges and begins to turn golden, then continue to cook, stirring, until all of sugar is melted and turns a golden caramel.

Add reserved chopped shallots (use caution; caramel will bubble up and steam vigorously) and cook, stirring, until shallots shrink and are very fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Stir in soy sauce, vinegar, and 1 1/3 cups water and simmer, stirring, until any hardened caramel is dissolved, about 1 minute.
    Yeah, that "use caution; caramel will bubble up and steam vigorously..." made me kinda nervous.

Maybe there are "caramel sauces" that don't involve actually making caramel and other ones that do?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Amazing - such a different recipe, very cool.
  • caliking
    Options
    @Theophan now my  interest is piqued. I'm going to do some research and try this again.

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,070
    Options
    @caliking the bread, was that baked in a Dutch oven?
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    What a tremendous cook. If I say the word  "caramel" to My Beautiful Wife about anything, it is a big win for me. Big Win. Saving this for a future cook. Thank you for sharing, excellent presentation.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bigegger
    bigegger Posts: 87
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Great post!! I love it.
    Everyone posting their meals :o
    Im torn what to cook this weekend :s
    LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • caliking
    Options
    @caliking the bread, was that baked in a Dutch oven?
    Yes. I use this one:

I usually bake a 1lb loaf and this works perfectly. There is another Lodge combo cooker with longer handles, but I got this one so that the lid could be easily used on the eggs.

• Canugghead
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Red Boat is scarce here so I use it sparingly for finishing and dipping, still use 3 crabs for bulk marinating  :)  One cup of Red Boat costs more than the chicken, lol!
    canuckland
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Fantastic!!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    Options
    Oh yum! Looks amazing. In stark contrast, I ate Hebrew National hotdogs rolled in DP pineapple head. 
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker