Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Health Related green egg problems

2»

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    she didn't go home with me, you sh!tfer. pay attention :))
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jimbak
    jimbak Posts: 1

Hi! You need to get a good list of food not to eat. Don't eat anything that comes in a pod.....like peas, beans, pepper and okra. You should not eat anything like liver, sardines, shell fish. All are high in U/Acid. If you send me your e-mail address I will be glad to send you a good gout diet list.

Jim

flyingjimb@charter.net

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    @stike
    Personally, I am a Macallan's man, but to each his own.

The person that introduced me to decent scotch said that if you take a drop of scotch and put it in your palm then rub your hands together and take a sniff, you may be able to tell if it is to your liking.  Something to do with how your body chemistry agrees with the scotch.  It may be an old wives tale, but at least it was before the internet was out to the public.  Have you ever heard of this or tried it.  So far my experience has been somewhat positive, but others have said it is a pure waste of a drop of scotch. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    not too put too fine a point on it, those aren't green egg problems, those are eating problems.

we buy these grills, start cruising the forum, and our eating habits can take a real nose dive.

that said, there's plenty of good food that will give to time at the BGE without the same problems.
    a little moderation, and you shouldn't miss a thing.

+1 I couldn't figure out how to word it.

+1 as well. In fact, our family is planning to cook some fish on the egg this weekend :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    BGE teams up with Humana Health Services, marketers brainstorm: Free angioplasty with every XL purchase!!!
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Hey. Bettysnephew. Just noticed your comment Dont think that just because i didnt mention macallan, that means i dont like it Scotch is like women I love them all Nice trick with the drop in the hands. Must smell great Will try if i ever can manage to spill a drop without it landing in my mouth
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Aww, grilling and partaking in adult beverage as I type. Hope I don't get gout. Might have to source the medication above. This egg thing is so addictive. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • nolaegghead
    That's terrible!  How are you doing now?
    So. Many. Words.  
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    tldr
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• nolaegghead
    rubmyrock was larger than life.  guy had a temper.  All those threads are gone, now.  A few people banned in the fallout.
    Gout? Yep?

Two words for you: Uloric and Titio's.

No attack in several years. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166

I too have had gout attacks and did a 'google' search finding many tips about prevention and remedies. Each person has different causes for it, but diet is #1. Through process of elimination I found that shrimp is a main cause for me. Rarely eat red meat and have reduced beer intake.

Tart cherry juice, cranberry juice and apple cider vinegar help reduce symptoms and I take them when I feel a flair-up coming on.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Ha ha. Those were epic. Lives were threatened,
    wives were insulted, butts were hurt.  
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Ha ha. Those were epic. Lives were threatened,
    wives were insulted, butts were hurt.  
    Still wish no one had been banned, sounds like good stuff!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    This Apple vinegar specifically has to be Bragg's brand? Something unique about their?
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    edited August 2017
    I have found the therapeutic benefits of cooking on bge to far outweigh any adverse health effects from eating  too much meat, fat and other tasty items from bge

The bge has helped my mental health when everything else gave up on me....
  • gbvinla
    gbvinla Posts: 96

Grew up drinking Coke (3-4/day). At my first flight physical they flagged my uric acid as elevated. Told me that later in life my big toe would start hurting. 6 years in military and 7 with the FAA and always elevated uric acid.

First flair up was rt ankle and it was painful. Dr. prescribed Cochasene ?sp. for the flair up. I had a few flair ups over the next few years and eventually saw a Rheumatologist who put me on 450mg Allopurinol/day. It's been more than 25 years now since my last flair up but uric acid stays below the threshold of 7. I have a bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar that I have tried a couple of shots of, but it's difficult to get down.

My Rheumatologist told me that greens and fish had more DNA than red meat. Uric acid is byproduct of DNA digestion. I always figured I should eat more red meat and less fish.  

Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.
  • nolaegghead
    Stay healthy, y'all!
    Does exercise help?  For that matter, have you tried that?
    In my own case, back 12 years or so ago, I remodeled the kitchen in my house and pretty much at the same time, bought my BGE. The only health-related effect of these was that I gained 10 pounds. It would have been a lot more except that I exercise consistently and thoroughly. But still.... 10 pounds, folks.

Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Long time sufferer. Colchicine is my friend at times when I have a really bad flare up. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • 23andme said that I am genetically vulnerable to gout. That I should limit alcohol and meat.