Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Butt Chicken Help

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have a 9 pound bird that has been brining for about 24 hrs. Was planning on cooking it tomorrow for dinner but needed to know roughly how long and at what temp I should cook it at. Then, I have to transport it 20minutes so roughly how long can I keep it wrapped in foil to preserve the heat. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• Rumrunner
    Options
    TheStormyDog, if it were me I'd pull it from the brine NOW. Over brining will give it a 'plastic' like texture :([p]Cook at 350° indirect for approx 20 mins a pound (+ or -) and until breast temp reaches 165-170° and the thigh temps around 180-185°.[p]Wrap in foil, place into a warm cooler and your 20 min trip should be no problem.
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    TheStormyDog, sounds to me like you are over doing the brine. I brine for 6 hours or so. I'd take it out, rinse several times in running water, wrap and back in fridge. Then several hours, maybe 3, before you are going to cook that bird, unwrap it and keep in fridge to dry the skin. Season and cook per your normal method. Good luck. Tom

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    Agree w/ Rumrunner and Sandbagger. The only thing I can add if you need to keep it warm longer, place towels on the botton of warm cooler to keep it longer.

Hopefully, I am not helping a Cincinnatti Fan. hehehe