Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My home-made egg table - pecky cypress

Comments

• psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    That is some beautiful wood, and great craftsmanship ... !!!!!
  • Rekx
    Rekx Posts: 9
    your manbearcave is incredible.
  • Beautiful table and an inspiration to us who are the "do it yourself types." I just bought my first bge Sunday and went with the standard nest due to space limitations on my deck. But if I ever expand, I intend on building my own wooden table. Your's looks like the perfect guide to use in that project.

Good job!
    BGE Large
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Thanks! 

I was thinking a shortcut to putting together a table similar to the design I used would be to pick up a heavy duty dining or kitchen table, cut down the height and add the bottom shelf to support the egg, cut a hole in the top and slap some spar varnish on it.

Maybe start with something similar to this: http://www.worldmarket.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12440708

Very nice table indeed.  I have been trying to figure out how I am going to cut the hole...and one of your photos explained that for me.  Mine will be more of a cabinet style with drawers and a door for storing my lump.  What type of flashlight is that you have?  I like that idea.

Thanks,

Rajuncajun.................Geaux Saints

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    nice work!  i like the table!
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Total envy for that shop/cave. I have a humidor that could be the same as yours, also like the outdoor camera setup if that it what I am seeing. I have a 16 channel setup on my home, only 8 cameras right now, but all infrared and weatherproof.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• nolaegghead
    Thanks!   I love my manbearcave...  I have a 3 camera wireless in the shop, and a 4 camera hardwired in the house. 

Flashlight - I'm a flashaholic, have lots of flashlights.  My advice - never buy a flashlight with more than one LED.  I buy lights that only run on 18650 Lithium ion batteries - laptop batteries.  Same battery they use in the Tesla. 

Great place to buy flashlights - dealextreme.com and http://www.fenix-store.com/

Get an 18650 charger. 

I bought microphone goosnecks from Amazon to hold the lights on tools, egg table, etc.

The light on my egg table was from deal extreme, and I think cost about $14.  About 180 lumen.  Generic chinese, but with a Cree LED.

Looks awesome!!!
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    What did you use as a finish...it looks beautiful?
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    VERY NICE table, it really stand out. Good Job
    Large, small, and a mini
  • nolaegghead
    What did you use as a finish...it looks beautiful?
    Soaked the top with West Marine epoxy, sanded it, then gave everything a few coats of Helmsman satin spar polyurethane.  Wipes clean just like a granite top.  The epoxy makes the surface extremely hard - it soaks into the wood.  Cypress is a soft wood, like cedar.  Normally I like the "distress" normal wear gives cypress...but for the sake of a work surface in a hostile environment, I pulled out all the stops.

I used polyester resin to fill in the pecky cavities...also, some with epoxy.
    Thanks.  What type of epoxy did you use?  Not familiar with the West Marine epoxys.  Did you use epoxy on the whole thing or just the top?  Did you spray or brush?
  • nolaegghead
    Actually, I referred to it as West Marine, 'cause that's what everyone is familiar with.  Same chemistry, but I used Aeromarine epoxy:

http://www.amazon.com/AeroMarine-300-Epoxy-Resin-Gallon/dp/B0047R2C9Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341895780&sr=8-2&keywords=marine+epoxy

It has the viscosity of light vegetable oil.  I brushed it on.  Just did the top, since it's the "wear" surface.  I was going to apply to everything, but that would have taken a few more days.  Mixed 2:1 resin/hardener and painted it on with a brush.  Saturate the wood.  Also, I used the same stuff with some micro bubbles as the glue for all the floating tenon joints.  Super, super strong, much harder than the wood, and surpasses all white wood glues.

Anyway, after it hardens, then next day I sand it down using a DA sander (Festool RO 150).  Then applied the spar varnish.

The top is about as hard as rock maple.  It wipes clean like granite.  Should last a lifetime as long as I keep it covered.  It can handle being wet, it's really the UV radiation that would eventually degrade the spar varnish, and then the epoxy would yellow.  Same chemistry that's used on wood boats, kayaks, etc.

Great looking table! I like the microphone goosenecks, might be a good option to mount on my pergola... :-?
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • GBC
    GBC Posts: 58
    You can see a couple of the flashlight/goosneck apparatuses in this pic of my manbearcave.

Nolaegghead, I am envious of your manbearcave!
  • nolaegghead
    @GBC - thanks man!   Might be fun to start a "show us your mancave" thread one of these days.  Mine will be sure to induce epileptic attacks.
    edited May 2013
    What are the dimensions of the top? Is it glued 2x6 or 2x8?
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    I'm gonna go home and throw rocks at my table.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

I'm gonna go home and throw rocks at my table.

Don't do that, you might hit your egg!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • JaredMD
    JaredMD Posts: 59
    Gorgeous table, and an awesome manbearcave!  I really love the use of reclaimed wood, it gives such a unique look to the table..
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    How's the table holding up?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    You never cease to amaze me with your skills.....beautiful.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • nolaegghead
    Still looks great, haven't had to refinish....
    Your table looks great. The Pecky Cypress really makes it looks sweet! How do you like the Festool domino joinery system? I'm intrigued by it; wonder how it compares to the classic biscuit. Festool is certainly proud of their tools. $$$
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    Your table looks great. The Pecky Cypress really makes it looks sweet! How do you like the Festool domino joinery system? I'm intrigued by it; wonder how it compares to the classic biscuit. Festool is certainly proud of their tools. $$$
    @NC_Egghead - what's up brother?

Thanks. 

I LOVE the Domino system.  They're fast, accurate and make strong joints.  That said, when I made my table, I did old-fashioned mortise and tenon construction on the structural elements of my table.  Like you did.  Nothing beats that for strength, when you need it (but mostly you don't).  Because I used cypress, a very soft, lousy in the structural department wood, the domino floating tenons are not quite as strong because the cypress is the weak point.  (the "domino" tenons are super-strong birch).

If you geek out and look at the equipment they use in professional custom furniture shops, more often than not you'll find the Domino system.  I use the hell outta mine.

I'm helping a buddy build a bed, he's actually in my shop putting some spar urethane on a bed he's building.  I'm like: that's overkill, dude.  Then he tells me he's putting round balusters in the headboard, which I had suggested he look at craftsman style for.  I'm like, hey man, the square is more in the style, and cheaper/easier.  He bought some oak round dowel.  He told me he wanted it like that so his GF could get a better "grip", then pantomimed a position.  So I thought, maybe the spar urethane isn't overkill after all. 
    @NC_Egghead - what's up brother?

Thanks. 

I LOVE the Domino system.  They're fast, accurate and make strong joints.  That said, when I made my table, I did old-fashioned mortise and tenon construction on the structural elements of my table.  Like you did.  Nothing beats that for strength, when you need it (but mostly you don't).  Because I used cypress, a very soft, lousy in the structural department wood, the domino floating tenons are not quite as strong because the cypress is the weak point.  (the "domino" tenons are super-strong birch).

If you geek out and look at the equipment they use in professional custom furniture shops, more often than not you'll find the Domino system.  I use the hell outta mine.

I'm helping a buddy build a bed, he's actually in my shop putting some spar urethane on a bed he's building.  I'm like: that's overkill, dude.  Then he tells me he's putting round balusters in the headboard, which I had suggested he look at craftsman style for.  I'm like, hey man, the square is more in the style, and cheaper/easier.  He bought some oak round dowel.  He told me he wanted it like that so his GF could get a better "grip", then pantomimed a position.  So I thought, maybe the spar urethane isn't overkill after all. 
    That's hilarious! Maybe he should put some dock cleats on it too. 

I saw saw a YouTube video of someone tearing down a Festool track saw. Evidently his expectation for paying that much for a tool was to expect better quality throughout. I've seen plenty of vids of guys using the system and it looks awesome. I suppose if I was building a new shop from the beginning or woodworking was my living, I would definitely be investing in it. The whole system looks super efficient and is especially user friendly for the mobile woodworker. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Great looking table.  One of my favorites.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Looks just as good in person as it does on here.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Thats  no table...thats a work of art!!!  Very very nice!!!