Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maybe a short brine for some salmon?

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am gonna cook a slab of salmon filet tonight. Was gonna mix up a batch of something like: dijon mustard, honey, tangerine citrus splash, corriander seeds, cayenne and what not. I plan on slathering it on then grill/roasting them at 275-300 direct for about 10 or 20 minutes a side...depending on how it goes. Looking for a slightly crusty outcome on the exterior.[p]Anyway, I have been wanting to try brining salmon....but not the hour long brine which is used a lot for smoking salmon. Was wondering if a short brine...say 20-30 minutes in some salt/sugar/spice water...then rinsing and drying before applying the slather....might give it a little edge?? Though I like the soft buttery flavor of salmon, the middle part always seems to be lacking the kick that salt and some spices might give it.[p]Any ideas?? I'll probably go up in 30 minutes and start something up for a test if I don't hear anything. Please respond even if it is too late! There are many more opportunities.
Thanks much.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Nature Boy[p]Regarding the brine, I would do just as you suggest but with a light salt mixture (plus other items) and keep the fish in the brine for about an hour. I have had good results with low salt content brines for an hour without salty results. Please share your results.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Thanks! That is about what I ended up doing. I mixed about a quart of water, 1/3 cup kosher salt, 1/3 cup honey, and lemongrass, ginger, corriander and green peppercorns. Brought it to a near boil to infuse the flavors, then cooled with MikeO's ziplock/ice method. I'll go maybe 40 minutes here so I have time to get it rinsed and dried before applying my slather.[p]I'll let ya know what happens. Sure smells good.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Nature Boy, I know that you are into serious 'so many recipes, so little time', mode, so I didn't send it to you, but, I found a monkfish recipe you might enjoy. It's called Grilled Ginger Citrus Monkfish. Know you tried the monkfish a while ago, so if you try it again, give me a bit of lead time and I'll send you the recipe, being as ginger and citrus are two of your fave flavours. No sense adding to that stack of printed-off recipes you already have, unless you're ready, willing and able.
    Saving the trees,
    BBQfan1

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Nature Boy, 30 minutes more in brine ought to do it good. After all, it spent almost its entire life in salt water didn't it? Let us know how it goes.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Wise One,
    Just finished dinner, and it was great! Could definitely notice a deeper flavor penetration with the brine, and it was very moist. Could have gone longer, or more salt though. I brined about 40 minutes, but I think djm was on when he said to go for an hour and it won't be salty. This is with 1/3 cup kosher salt, and 1 quart (or a bit more) of water. (Kosher salt is a lot weaker than regular salt so I think I need more). [p]The paste I made with 1T—dijon, regular mustard, and tangerine citrus splash, 1/2 teaspoon—green peppercorns, grains of paradise, corriander seeds, onion powder, cracked ginger, curry powder, peanut oil. 20 minutes a side direct at about 300 did the trick. [p]Fun stuff this cookin is.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Citrus Splash make everything good. I think I will try your brined salmon.
    Fireball[p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Nature Boy, you keep talking like that "Fun stuff this cooking is." and we'll change your handle to Yoda. That sounds great. I've got some salmon and think I'll give it a shot.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Sounds great. I've done marinades similar to what you used and let the fish sit in the fridge in a ziplock bag for an hour or so before grilling, but haven't tried a brine as such. You're right about the citrus splash. It's a great addition to a sauce or marinade. I like the Tangerine Balsamic.[p]Have you ever had Szechuan peppercorns? They aren't really peppercorns, but little dried buds. If you toast them in a dry skillet and grind them with morar and pestle, it's a great addition to whatever's for dinner. Kicks it up about a half a notch, too.[p]BTW, I've never turned a salmon fillet. Even direct, it's cooked through while the skin gets crispy on the bottom. I'd hate to have the flesh stick to the grill, though I suppose I could use that basket thingie I have...hmmm.[p]Cheers,
    G.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Hi Gretl. I don't have problems with sticking. Just give it a little time to release itself. A little bit of oil in your paste, or a light spray of it helps. And only 1 careful flip is allowed!! No basket needed. I love salmon done both indirect and direct. But sometimes I just gotta have a little sear, and light crust.[p]I grill fish a lot, and have never used one of those baskets. Though I can see how it might be easier with the flaky white fish....though I have been having good luck doing those right on the grate too![p]Yes, I have had those sichuan peppercorns, but we haven't had any in years. I can smell that fragrance in my mind right now. I'll go put it on the list! Lan usually visits the Asian markets on the weekend. Do you use it in marinades? Or sprinkle it on at the table? Thanks for the reminder of that great spice.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Howdy Wise One, lol! That does sound Yodaish. I just said it out loud in a Yoda voice, and I am having star wars flashbacks. Funny, when the first star wars came out, it played at the Laurel Cinema (where I grew up in Maryland) for over a year. When they took the letters down off the sign, you could still read STAR WARS because the weather had stained the background around the letters. Thanks for the memories.[p]Yeah! Why not give it that salmon a shot. Kick up the salt or the time in the brine, and let me know what you find out! Just got some "Tri-Tip Steaks" and Costco, and some wings for tonight. Life is most shweeet![p]Great friday to ya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com