Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dehydrator fun

Options
 I posed the question a while back about ground beef jerky.  
I purchased a cabelas 12 rack dehydrator. 
I made the jerky the other day and wanted to try snack sticks. 

I made 10 lbs of jalapeño, garlic and cheddar sticks. 
I started them at 140f and bumped to 150 after an hour and 160f after another hour. They were finished in 4.5 hours. 

I quenched half and just cooled the other other half at room temp, just for comparison sake. 

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    There is a ton of great food to be found on this site, but those photos really make me drool. Wow! Great work.
    Stillwater, MN
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    There is a ton of great food to be found on this site, but those photos really make me drool. Wow! Great work.
    Thank you sir. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    They look awesome!!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Awesome!..........Now I need one
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Great thread.  Verdict - quenched or cooled?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks great!
    Options
    Verdict is still out. 
    Ill cast my vote once they have bloomed over night. 

All the quenching does does according to my reading is prevents wrinkling compared to cooled at room temp. 

Is is that correct @nolaegghead
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    That's what I heard.  And maybe helps the color, dunno.  Did you use collagen casings?

What extruder did you use?  I have a LEM jerky canon and LEM 5# piston stuffer.
    Options
    That's what I heard.  And maybe helps the color, dunno.  Did you use collagen casings?

I did use collagen casings. 

I have a Cabelas 11 lb stuffer, and a Cabelas 15" jerky cannon. 

Lol. Looks like I'm a Cabelas whore. 
    The stuffer was on sale and has metal gears. My first was a cheapie with plastic gears. 
    The dehydrator was on sale $100 off and I had a $100 gift card I won in a golf tourney so it was a relatively cost effective jumping off point for a larger 12 rack dehydrator. The cannon was 33% off at the same time as thevdehydrator was on sale. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    You're a jerky making mofo! Those look great and the flavor sounds great too 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @hondabbq , mind sharing the stick recipie/ process ..great post, thanks for sharing
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • hondabbq
    edited August 2017
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    @hondabbq , mind sharing the stick recipie/ process ..great post, thanks for sharing
    This being my first try at the jerky thing, I bought a jalapeño Hi Mountain jerky kit and just followed the instructions for mixing and cooked/ dehydrated at 160f for 5 hours. I made 5 lbs (raw) of jerky. 

I had had some of the jalapeño seasoning left over from the jerky kit, and just added some garlic and black pepper and the cheese. I had 5 lbs of pork and 5 lbs of lean beef. I added 20 oz of grated old cheddar. I used the Hi Mountain care. 2 cups of water and mixed until sticky. I stuffed into 21 mm casings.  I put the sticks in at the same temp of 160f.  

I was was surprised at the time it took for both batches being roughly the same time. The jerky I stacked the trays in the slots all together and left the empty racks in as well. 
    With the sticks, I left the empty trays out and also double spaced the racks with sticks. I assumed with the thickness of the sticks it would have taken longer than the jerky. I'm assuming the changes made in racking them was the difference. 

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,272
    edited August 2017
    Options
    hondabbq said:

I did use collagen casings. 

I have a Cabelas 11 lb stuffer, and a Cabelas 15" jerky cannon. 

Lol. Looks like I'm a Cabelas whore. 
    The stuffer was on sale and has metal gears. My first was a cheapie with plastic gears. 
    The dehydrator was on sale $100 off and I had a $100 gift card I won in a golf tourney so it was a relatively cost effective jumping off point for a larger 12 rack dehydrator. The cannon was 33% off at the same time as thevdehydrator was on sale. 
    It somehow doesn't feel right to read a sober-toned reference to a "15" jerkey cannon" on a weeknight. Seems like more of a weekend post. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Very impressive!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• hondabbq
    Options
    Well, to me no discernible difference in texture. Only slight difference as mentioned was the slightly less wrinkling of the quenched ones, and I mean only slightly. Other than that pretty much the same all around. 
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Can you please explain more about making jerky and the sticks. I'm definitely interested and looking at some of the equipment but I don't want to jump in feet first if I have to be smart enough to split atoms. Thanks for your time. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Moleman said:
    Can you please explain more about making jerky and the sticks. I'm definitely interested and looking at some of the equipment but I don't want to jump in feet first if I have to be smart enough to split atoms. Thanks for your time. 
    Ground meat jerky is about as easy as making meatloaf.  Mix the spices/cure with ground meat.  Load in stuffer/jerky cannon, extrude, dehydrate, eat. 
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Moleman said:
    The biggest thing to be concerned about is food safety. Understanding the curing process and pros and cons of curing, what to do and what not to do. Some things you have to learn on your own with what equipment you have. I made a few mistakes along the way, but now most meat projects work out based on basic knowledge and previous experiences. 

Ive made hundreds of pounds of sticks, but not in a dehydrator. Made them in the egg, home oven, pellet grill, propane smoker, proofer (at work). It's not a stretch to adjust to make a decent product once you have a few batches under your belt. If your only using one piece of equipment to cook small adjustments are easy to get the results yiur looking for. 

I just read a lot before I jumped in. Smokingmeatforums.com has a lot of good information. Reading what to do, and reading threads where guts made mistakes so you don't follow the same path. 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Moleman said:
    I'm definitely interested and looking at some of the equipment 

This is the equiptment I use for making jerky :)
    @hondabbq looks damn good though, well done.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Jerky cannon FTW!!! Ivmake deer jerky same way. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• lkapigian
    Options
    @hondabbq so I am getting ready to order the Cabela's and on page 17 of their manual it says after dehydrating ( meats) to 160, finish off in an oven @ 165 for at least 30 minutes, seems they would have a setting that goes to 165 and not double the work...........or is this Cabela's just Covering Their @ss?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • hondabbq
    edited October 2017
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    @hondabbq so I am getting ready to order the Cabela's and on page 17 of their manual it says after dehydrating ( meats) to 160, finish off in an oven @ 165 for at least 30 minutes, seems they would have a setting that goes to 165 and not double the work...........or is this Cabela's just Covering Their @ss?

There is extensive conversations on this topic on the smokingmeatforums site.

From my reading that is if not using any cure. There was some page ( I looked but I cant find it) about the reason for doing that was to ensure all pathogens were killed prior to consuming. A lot of guys don't do this step and have never had an issue but the potential is there.

I use cure in my sticks and jerky to ensure there is no health issues with botulism.

And yes they are just covering their A$$. 

• lkapigian
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    lkapigian said:

There is extensive conversations on this topic on the smokingmeatforums site.

From my reading that is if not using any cure. There was some page ( I looked but I cant find it) about the reason for doing that was to ensure all pathogens were killed prior to consuming. A lot of guys don't do this step and have never had an issue but the potential is there.

I use cure in my sticks and jerky to ensure there is no health issues with botulism.

And yes they are just covering their A$$. 

Thanks @hondabbq I usually add cure 1 to my sausage ETC, Think I am pulling the trigger on the 80L although the 160 is not much more---I know a bit over kill...On the topic of Cure- I know 1 Teaspoon per 5# but what formula do you use if doing a "Marinade" or is it the same??
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • hondabbq
    Options

I have not made jerky in the traditional sense using full muscle meat.

If I am not mistaken, just like when making a brine, you have to add the weight of the marinade plus the meat weight and add cure to that total.

• DaveRichardson
    Options

Dang, @hondabbq, that looks AMAZING!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!