Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Sauce for pulled pork large quantity

Options
Hey Guys, 
I was hoping you guys could help me out. I'm doing a street party cook for my neighborhood and cooking pulled pork for about 200 people. need a basic but good sauce does anybody have a large batch pulled pork BBQ sauce recipe?

Help is appreciated!  
Toronto,  Ontario,  Large, Large, Mini Max

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Personally I'd make one that I like, then buy a bunch from the store for that many people 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Make a small batch of vinegar based sauce and buy a crapload of SBR from Costco.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    From personal experience cooking butts for actually even more than that many adults for our annual neighborhood picnic for 6 years I found that most people would not even put any sauce on their sandwiches! In fact most years I would put out just 4 "popular" recognized brands and only the cheap sweet ones would be used. Even the better more expensive brands would be left practically unused! Go cheap and they will be happy - unless your group are BBQ snobs! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    This is a great Lexington style sauce. It's easy and dirt cheap. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    For a huge group, I would go with SBR cut with cider vinegar at least 2:1 SBR, 1:1 is better.  Put it in condiment squeeze bottles.  You can doctor it more if you like with rub or spices.
  • bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    Pretty simple sauce that keeps for months so you could make a lot. 

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/east_carolina_BBQ_sauce.html

Pretty much what was posted above minus the juice and ketchup. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Steven Raichlen has some good recipes for sauces. Lots of stuff on the web. I really like the Shed or SBR. For me pulled pork is about a good slaw. I love sauce be the slaw does it. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    For me, the most frequently used sauce for pulled pork is eastern NC style vinegar sauce. I wouldn't even consider SBR. One "recipe" is about half and half Texas Pete and apple cider vinegar. Maybe 60/40 vinegar. The easy way out. 

If you want to mix your own, I've been using this for years.

1 1/2 cups white vinegar
    1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
    1 1/2 Tbls red pepper flakes
    1 1/2 Tbls sugar
    1 1/2 Tbls bottled hot sauce
    1 1/2 Tbls cayenne
    s&p to taste 

Both are easy and can be made in quantity. Dirt cheap too. Mix some in after you pull it and then provide more at the table. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    edited August 2017
    Options
     I would go with three types for a large group. The two NC sauces mentioned above are what I like. Eastern pepper/vinegar and Lexington Red Dip .(Lexington/Piedmont style is my favorite) And a sweet smokey general purpose BBQ sauce like Cattleman's for those that don't know any better.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    RRP said:
    From personal experience cooking butts for actually even more than that many adults for our annual neighborhood picnic for 6 years I found that most people would not even put any sauce on their sandwiches! In fact most years I would put out just 4 "popular" recognized brands and only the cheap sweet ones would be used. Even the better more expensive brands would be left practically unused! Go cheap and they will be happy - unless your group are BBQ snobs! 

I agree with the above, last year at the Georgia Mountain Eggfest we served about 2000 people puled pork and used Sweet Baby Rays and I was very surprised how many people commented on how much they liked SBR sauce!

We like Blues Hog and most people that we share it with want to know where we they can buy it!

I'm sure no matter what sauce you serve they will enjoy the pork.

Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer