Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Akorn Jr. for $91 @ Amazon

Options

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Getting rid of a gasser when getting an egg is a mistake in my opinion.  They have their purpose, and they do really good at it.  I actually think the old generation of Weber genesis are awesome grills and there are a lot of people making them look even better than when they were new.  Just one example:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?71255-I-am-Trying-to-Save-a-Red-Head-(With-Pictures)

EDIT: Forgot to add my point (man I am getting old).  @SmokeyPitt, good buy you got there.  Let us know how you like it.  I have a Q220 sitting in my shed waiting for a rehab, its been there a while tho ...
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Ok I am blaming you guys for this. I decided to check Wal-mart. They didn't have any Akorn Jr's left, but I did end up with Weber Q-1200 for 50% off. My wife wanted a regular grill to cook on and I have been intrigued by this little grill. I have been gasser free since 2010 so I feel a little guilty. I am sticking by the story that it is my wife's grill.
    Many ways to apply heat to food. No one way is always better than all the others. Never quite understood the hate for gas grills some folks have.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Getting rid of a gasser when getting an egg is a mistake in my opinion.  They have their purpose, and they do really good at it.  I actually think the old generation of Weber genesis are awesome grills and there are a lot of people making them look even better than when they were new.  Just one example:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?71255-I-am-Trying-to-Save-a-Red-Head-(With-Pictures)

EDIT: Forgot to add my point (man I am getting old).  @SmokeyPitt, good buy you got there.  Let us know how you like it.  I have a Q220 sitting in my shed waiting for a rehab, its been there a while tho ...
    That redhead is a beaut.  This vid is great.
    https://youtu.be/8nHUkwLB1Us
    My first grill was the gen after thst one, a Silver B, built like a tank.  Upgraded to SS flavorizer bars, SS grids.

I'm sure it's still in operation somewhere.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thanks all!  I broke it in with some hot dogs last night and so far so good. I have had burgers cooked one at a little league game and they were really good. 

It is a simple design but that is part of the reason I like it. It has an enameled CI grid and the grid has heat deflectors built into it. Parts are priced reasonably and the body is cast aluminum. With a little maintenance it should last a lifetime.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cookingdude555
    Options
    How's the heat? Wondered if it would be able to get up to a high (not looking for egg inferno) temp for burgers, steaks, etc. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Thanks all!  I broke it in with some hot dogs last night and so far so good. I have had burgers cooked one at a little league game and they were really good. 

It is a simple design but that is part of the reason I like it. It has an enameled CI grid and the grid has heat deflectors built into it. Parts are priced reasonably and the body is cast aluminum. With a little maintenance it should last a lifetime.
    Cooked the above on a friends Weber Q.
    Don't underestimate it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @Photo Egg - That all looks incredible- thanks for the inspiration! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Wow good looking grub there. 
  • Focker
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The ash removal system on Junior is slick, super easy to clean and carry on.  Stuck my grid lifter in the grid, smokin stone in place with a pie tin covered in AF, got her wrapped up with the cover and a bungee next to a box of Russian lump.  Grab, cover, and go.....love this lil' guy for the price.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Cooked the above on a friends Weber Q.
    Don't underestimate it.
    Hail yeah!!!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My bro has a Weber gasser. Big ol' SS thing. He wants nothing to do with charcoal. Had a lot of meals cooked on that thing. Never a bad one. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Focker said:

My first grill was the gen after thst one, a Silver B, built like a tank.  Upgraded to SS flavorizer bars, SS grids.

Cool video. Thanks. Those old Weber gassers are phenomenal. 
  • Focker
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Focker said:

Cool video. Thanks. Those old Weber gassers are phenomenal. 
    They really are, regret selling mine.
    Could justify a trip for Fong's, Graziano Bros, La Quercia, and Berkwood Farms hahaha...
    https://desmoines.craigslist.org/for/d/weber-genesis-gold-gas-grill/6253666900.html
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Road trip! I have one just like the one in the video, but it's green. I also have one of the newer genesis (model before current one on sale). I can't decide which to keep. The newer one is just a bit bigger. Been messing around wth the 17" blackstone on it. Re-seasoning it right now. Had to interrupt the seasoning to cook a few jalapeño brats. No pics of those ...

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    edited August 2017
    Options
    When I was a kid my Mother got a gas fired Weber kettle(ran on propane) from a bank promotion ,that was in the mid 60's . They did not make a whole lot of them ,used lava stone as fire deflector . It was a pretty good grill but was prone to flair ups .It lasted many years and they never had to buy another . One day in the 80's I believe it was 1985 saw the Genesis in an appliance store ,got reassurance from salesman that it would not flair up and bought one telling him that first flair up it will be back at his store . Needless to say it never went back and it was used constantly through all four seasons . Kept it covered replaced a few parts here and there (would call Weber with serial # and always got the "that's really old" routine from agent on phone) . Replaced the 1985 genesis with new Genesis in 2009 so I would say I got my money's worth . For a gas grill there is none better and I probably sold dozens of Webers through the years just by passing on what I thought of how they cooked .  Seemed like every one I knew got one after they saw how mine worked .
  • Focker
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Junior took a hit last night going wide open.  Gaskets are both intact, bottom bowl may need a black bbq paint job.

It was worth it...

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    That's a shame, I bought mine specifically to be a searing machine. It's been working well for me so far.  Oh well, at $79 I'll just use it till it's dead, it's always nice to have another heater lying around
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    That looks like a perfectly cooked steak
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Agree on the handle on the Jr. being poorly designed.  Despite multiple attempts with multiple tools and multiple people, there is still an annoying amount of play in the handle.  You get what you pay for I guess.  Gonna do the new grill burn off today. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Focker
    edited August 2017
    Options
    That's a shame, I bought mine specifically to be a searing machine. It's been working well for me so far.  Oh well, at $79 I'll just use it till it's dead, it's always nice to have another heater lying around
    I agree, and knew it was too good to be true.
    It was my beater from the start, so we'll carry on.  The inside of the lower section looks ok, some rust on the middle circle, that's it.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Steaks look good. I don't think the paint finish issue affects the way it cooks at all. 
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    That's a great portable grill.  It'll save you a hernia operation over lugging around a big chunk of green ceramic that does the same thing.
    I bought a mini max to take camping with us, It has gone one time. Screw carrying that thing around

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Agree on the handle on the Jr. being poorly designed.  Despite multiple attempts with multiple tools and multiple people, there is still an annoying amount of play in the handle.  You get what you pay for I guess.  Gonna do the new grill burn off today. 
    When you say "play in the handle" are you referring to the metal brackets or the wood (handle) inserted between the brackets?

On mine, the metal brackets are snug and don't move or wiggle at all. The wood does wiggle a bit but that is probably a good thing since it would need a little room to deal with swelling due to rain.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    A lot of walmarts have marked it down to 35$.
    Wow!
    Not any of them have any in stock though. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    maso said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Prime Member only purchase
    "Try Prime free for 30 days"....
    I'm saving my 30 days free for a time when I really need it.
    The one thing I have noticed, and I do order from Amazon all the time as a non prime member, their shipping time is getting real slow most of the time. Now it's normally a week before any item ships. 2 years ago it was 1 or 2 days and it was shipped.
    I've had prime for several years now. Maybe that's also a unwritten benefit to prime? Most (95%) of my items ship out the same day or first thing the following morning. 
    It's not an unwritten benefit to Prime. It's clearly written. That's the big appeal to Prime is getting what you ordered in 2 working days.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    For those with a loose handle: I noticed the brackets that screw into the lid are imprinted with "R" and "L".
    If you swap those around, the wooden handle will not fit tightly between them.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    As aviator stated earlier most Walmart have marked these down to $35. I had just purchased one on 8-6. I was at a different store today and asked if they would do a price adjustment?  They had no problem doing it. SCORE I got $41 back. So I used half of that to buy a masterbuilt portable propane smoker. They are marked down from $88 to $21. I highly recommend if you would like to check your local stores inventory to check out brickseek.com and search walmarts then look up the SKU number. I figured for $21 I'd give the propane smoker a shot and I'm going to give my dad the Jr. 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Doing my 400º test cook right now.

Observations: It's lightweight - steel inside, not a lot of ceramic thickness. The dome is so light, you have to clamp it down with a latch to get the gasket to seat.

It lights quickly and came up to 200º in no time.  Then it sat there a while. 

Directions instruct that you wash the cast iron grill in hot water to remove the preservative they put on it. Trust me, washing it in hot water will remove the preservative they put on it, because within minutes of drying it, I saw rust blooming all over the place. Grab the Crisco and start wiping it down... get it on some heat quickly to distribute that grease around.

OK, interrupted the rusting process, got it on the Akorn at 250 or so, come inside to take a pi.... er... use the facilities, go back out - 500ºf... sheesh. I had the vents closed about half.  OK, small unit, very little ceramic to heat up, it comes to temp very quickly!!  Do not think the exterior is like your Egg, at 400º dome, the exterior is quite a bit hotter than I'm used to.

Settled it in at 400+ and let 'er rip for as long as the lump lasted, the grill looks darker, but not yet fully seasoned. I've got a couple of burgers and some dogs I can play with in 3 hours for lunch.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Order66
    Order66 Posts: 1
    Options
    I grabbed one at $35. Good little shotgun rider for my Large. I have done a few steaks and wings and poppers so far, helluva little grill for the cost of a brisket flat. @Focker hit the bottom with some veggie oil on a paper towel, most of it will come off. (It did for me) I buried the needle on the initial Burn-off
  • Focker
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Order66 said:
    I grabbed one at $35. Good little shotgun rider for my Large. I have done a few steaks and wings and poppers so far, helluva little grill for the cost of a brisket flat. @Focker hit the bottom with some veggie oil on a paper towel, most of it will come off. (It did for me) I buried the needle on the initial Burn-off
    Great deal for $35!

Thanks, will give it a try but it looks roached.
    I could smell it at the time, burning away at the campground.  It's my beater, so I'll rock it 'til the wheels fall off. =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities