Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Success!!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked my first steaks last night on my new large egg and I am extremely excited and optimistic. I cooked myself a nice porterhouse and my wife a strip. They both turned out excellent. I had never heard of searing a steak, letting it rest, and then actually cooking it on reduced heat. They turned out to be the best, juciest, most tender steaks I have ever cooked. My only question concerns reducing the heat in my egg. The entire design of the egg itself seems to prevent any heat reduction. I didn't want to completely close off the air flow and extinguish the coals, but simply reducing the vents (leaving about 1/4 to 1/2 inch at the bottom and closing the main part of the top, leaving the daisy wheel open) did not seem to cool it down much. After 20 minutes of this, the temp had only decreased from around 750 to 520. Any advice on reducing heat would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    FinallyGotAnEgg, The settings you had was still too much. Don't be afraid to close it down even more.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    FinallyGotAnEgg,
    the only way to snuff the fire is to totally shut it down.
    if you are open even a 1/16th of an inch, you still have a fire going in there.[p]some folks DO choke it, to try to hurry it up during a cool down. then they open it in ten minutes or so and try to catch the last dying embers before they are snuffed.[p]just shut it down all the way, then tick the top and bottom open minimally, and she'll get to 400 or 350 pretty quick.[p]one thing is that you may have let her go for a while at 800 or so. the longer it is at those temps, the hotter the dome gets, and it will retain that heat. the sooner you can get the sear done, the faster the dome temp will fall.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • FinallyGotAnEgg,
    Put some bacon on aluminum foil and throw in some wood chips ... use that residual heat to keep on cooking breakfast!!![p]Doug

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    FinallyGotAnEgg,
    i just close it all down and then maybe tweak the bottom open after 10 or 15 minutes. after you do your first low and slow overnight, you will see how little things need to be open to maintain temps. it doesnt take mich to keep it chugging.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    FinallyGotAnEgg, I put the rain cap on and close the bottom vent. When I see the temp start to drop to 550 or so, I burp the Egg to reset the temp, then I adjust for about 400-500

• Just be careful when you reopen the Egg. Lift the lid just a crack and hold it there for a couple of seconds before fully opening. Otherwise you're in for a flashback which is a VERY nasty suprise.
  • FinallyGotAnEgg,I've had my egg 4 months and have had the same problem. The solution I came up with is Shut the vents down to 1/16 on the bottom and close the top. I then throw on wood chip that have been soaking in water. This drop the temp right down.