Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butts

Options
BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picnicbutts1.jpg
<p />These two picnics went on at 10:00 this morning. I know it's not great timimg so I will need to lay off the joy juice tonight. My daughter loves my pulled pork. I hope to take these off at around 4 or 5 this morning. The temp is steady at 250 with some hickory chunks for smoke. Happy eating, Tom

Comments

• BajaTom,
    looks good. i will be trying my first pulled pork this weekend. what recipe are you using?

• BajaTom
    Options
    Luis,
    I used a rub given to me by a local fellow. I usually use DP dizzy dust. I slathered both butts in yellow mustard and liberally dusted with the rub. I sometimes inject the butts with apple juice. I used a few chunks of hickory on the burning lump. I cook at about 250/260 for about 14/16 hours to an internal temp of 200. There is a long plateau which begins at about the internal temp of 160. Just resist the temptation to peek at your butts. Remember to foil and hold in a cooler for several hours to allow the juices to redistribute. Do you have a themometer to monitor the internal temp? Good luck, Tom

• Bajatom,
    yeah i have a guru competitor im going to use for the first time. when i ask a butcher for the meat do i just ask for pork butt? some people refer to it as pork shoulder or picnic? i am confused

• BajaTom
    Options
    827088b0.jpg
    <p />Luis,
    Ask for Boston butt or a picnic shoulder. The butts in this picture are Boston butts and the ones in my first picture were picnics. Picnics have a hard thick skin on them which I score to allow smoke to get in the meat. Don't cut into the meat. The hard skin will need to be removed before pulling. Good luck, Tom

• BillT
    BillT Posts: 61
    Options
    Luis,[p]Both work. The butt is the higher cut on the hog, the top of shoulder with the blade. The picnic is the same as a front ham; the arm bone of the hog. My experience is that the butt yields about 45% pulled pork and the picnic closer to 40% (35%+). If the cost of butts is close to picnics then I use butts; else picnics. Once pulled you really done care how "high on the hog" you are eating![p]I like the skin from the picnic to make beans so I have a little bias for picnics. In terms of time cooking or taste, they are the same for me. My last cook was 6 picnics (57#) and a batch with 6# (dry) beans. I have been dieting ever since.[p]I guess you have to decide how "high on the hog" you want to be![p]You can't go wrong.[p]BillT
  • GATOR BOB
    Options
    BajaTom,
    I have been cooking a 7.2 bone in butt since 9:30 last night between 220 and 250 degrees.At 11:30 this morning the internal is at 180 so I have a ways to go.
    Using Oak wood to smoke with.Big Bob Gibson's rub.Injected with a mix of Apple juice, Apple Cider, Karo Syrup,Worstshire sauce and a pinch of rub.I'm taking this to the Fl vs Kentucky game in Gainesville Saturday