Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

i need help quick from the meat experts

Options
UGAVET
UGAVET Posts: 577
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have an end of the summer office party tommorow evening. i went to sams club tonite to pick up some ribs to start tommorow morning but wanted to do a brisket and a boston butt over nite. Sams had 1 brisket and it was pitiful, very thin. right next to the brisket was what i thought was a nice healthy brisket but on closer inspection the package red the following: beef round bottom,round cov
It looked alot like a brisket but i think it comes from back in the flank area im not sure. It may not be worth a flip but i wanted to try some type of beef low and slow so i thought i would go ahead and get it. Does anyone have any advise on what i have and how i should cook it. Have the egg at about 250 right now and getting ready to prep it. It willhave to be a quick prep. it does have a large fat cap on one side but alot of meat but enough fat that i think there will be some rendering and collagen breakdown. any advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    UGAVET,
    if its from the round, it is probably a pretty lean piece of cow....i personnally would not lo and slo it. .. . however, if you have the ability to slice it very, very thinly (i.e. 'shaved')... then it could be great for "pit beef". ... [p]rather than 250 degrees, crank your egg up to 375 degrees with plate setter and grid on top of that. . . .heavily rub the beast with something like dizzy cowlick or red eye express (or any other good beef rub). .. then roast it till its around 130 degrees internal . . . depending on weight, it won't take more than a couple of hours. .. . when its done, let it rest a good 20 minutes or so under a foil tent . .. then, again, slice it really thin. ..serve on kaiser rolls with raw onions, and horseradish and/or bbq sauce. .. . good stuff. ..

• Rumrunner
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, good advice :)

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    hey, always good to hear from the resident butcher ... long time no see :-) [p]haven't seen you post here, or even in the grey room, for a while now ....[p]hope you and yours are doing well .. ..you should make it up to hotlanta for the big fest!1[p]best[p]max

• UGAVET
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    this thing is 13 pounds. do you still think it will be done that quick?

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    ugavet,
    ok, that is a big hunk of cow. ..and i assume its like a beach ball? . ..so, yea, it will take longer. ..i typically do whole eye of the rounds, which weigh about 7 - 8 pounds, but they are long and so they only take a couple of hours. ..if its a big ball of meat, then maybe figure 3 - 4 hours. ..just keep a good eye on it and don't let it get over done. .. . once its done, you can wrap it good and keep it warm for a good while. ..

• UGAVET
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    actually it is not round, it is long and flat on 1 end and about 3-3.5 inches thick here. the other end is thicker at about 5 inches. honestly it looks like a whole packer brisket. grains on the flat run similar to a brisket and then the thicker part looks just like the point. it seems to have a lot of fat marbleing in the thicker part and some also in the flat part. oh well, time to try something new. can always make beef jerky i guess.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    ugavet,
    geeze, you sure it isn't a brisket that just got misslabeled? ....do the grains run in different directions between the thick part and the thin part? . .. what you are describing sure is sounding more like a brisket. ..[p]hopefully rummrunner will weigh in again, he's a butcher. .

• UGAVET
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    yes they run different directions. i took pictures but then realized that my laptop is at work and dont have my cable to load the picture. it takes up the whole diameter of the large egg just like the last 12lb brisket i did. i have only done 1 brisket before and i swear this is a brisket so you may be right about the mislabel. i am taking a chance and going low and slow. ill let you know how it turns out. thanks for the help. look forward to seeing some of you regulars in atlanta.

[ul][li][url=http:// ]http:// [/url][/ul]
  • BillT
    BillT Posts: 61
    Options
    UGAVET,[p]I have done several top and bottom rounds. I have always done them for sliced roast beef and while I may start them slow for an hour to gain flavor I increase the fire to 350 after about an hour. I have done slightly bigger bottom rounds, in the 20 pound category, and they take somewhere in the 3 - 4 hour range of 350. Because this is a big cut you want to let it stand for a while before slicing. I wanted some of the sliced roast beef to be a little rarer and have cut the entire piece in half while standing to release a little heat. This helped.[p]My father swears this is the beast sandwich meat ever. I think it is a little too lean for low and slow, but that advice has been properly provided.[p]BillT
  • EddieMac
    Options
    I agree with Bill T...these are likely top and bottom rounds...and we buy them regularly from Sam's....I cook two or three of them per weekend on the BGE....My wife has a little catering service....We buy them....cook them up....and then slice them very thinly on our slicing machine....They taste way better than any sandwich meat from the deli...and it's extremely cost effective.....[p]I'm not a big believer in low-n-slowing beef...prefer 350 - 375....indirect....taking off the Egg when internal temp hits 135 - 140 in the middle regions of the beef.....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL