Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do wooden tables hold up

Options
2»

Comments

• lightningQ
    Options
    Since we are discussing carts, i have a large in a challenger cart.  2 years old and i love it.  i am selling my home and getting ready to build another with a nice outdoor kitchen.  that being said i am thinking of selling this one and putting a new lg or xl built in for the new house.  Any ideas of what this would be worth if i decide to sell it?  I cringe at the thought of moving this beast to storage and then again to the new house.  
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Tried the wooden route, but Wisconsin winters prefer the 100 year version of a table...

Packerland, Wisconsin

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    5 years so far.  Original finish.  Gets Sun and rain.  (Sorry, it needs a wipe down)

Man I love that wood! Wasn't that made from submerged crypus? If so, any idea how long it was underwater? If my memory is correct then wouldn't your table withstand YEARS and YEARS of the elements there in NO? 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Wood tables are great. 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    A wooden table can last for decades. Choose the right wood, correct construction, and some maintenance when needed.

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Egg tables are pretty but I agree with the earlier comment about the utility of using the nest plus a side table.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The nest and a stainless prep table is great low maintenance lower cost item. More flexibility. For some reason cutting a round hole in a stainless table quadruples the cost. 

Why would that quadruple the cost? Not for me
  • ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Options
    5 years so far.  Original finish.  Gets Sun and rain.  (Sorry, it needs a wipe down)

Is your table made of cypress? I like the looks of it.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    ronw9471 said:

Is your table made of cypress? I like the looks of it.
    @RRP @ronw9471

It is old growth cypress - much of it is called "Pecky Cypress" because a fungi creates hollow gaps along the grain of the heartwood when the tree is alive.  I bought it reclaimed from a guy that had a bunch of it on craigslist.  

As far as I know it's not sinker cypress as it came from an old building and most sinker cypress is newly milled (and outrageously expensive), as the sinker wood industry started in the past few decades.