Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Home security systems

Options
What all do you have .. do they really work or just a marketing gig ?

what all do you have feature wise ?

im kind of a big brother is watching guy and don't want too much invasion in my own privacy

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Don't have one, but if I did ever want one it would be that wireless one that is advertised extensively. Why? Self installed, no wiring needed and price. Even the monitoring connection to police and fire is cheap. Neighbor has had ADT for years and that thing is a real hassle for them and me when they are on vacation and I am watching their home!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tim (Watkinsville)
    Options
    I use Front Point. Excellent system, all cellular/wireless. I recommend them highly.

Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    PoE is cheap and easy, hard part is fishing the Cat6 around where you want it.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I really like our SimplySafe system.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Simplisafe gets good reviews from a few people I know.

For me, I have a couple of Nest cameras set up and a couple of motion detectors tied into my Ooma phone system. Seems to work very well. What I like about my setup is that there is no monitoring service involved. Motion detected? I get instant notification on my phone wherever I am. Curious about what's going on back home? I open the Nest app on my phone and look. 
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    edited August 2017
    Options
    +2 for SimplySafe. Easy install and reliable monitoring. We have devices on all doors and windows downstairs as well as sirens, motion detectors, and smoke detectors.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Dredger said:
    +2 for SimplySafe. Easy install and reliable monitoring.
    Might I add the monitoring is cheap too. 

They've added cameras now too. 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Dredger
    Options

@tarheelmatt, are the cameras for outdoor? We've been waiting on that. The last time we checked, they had indoor cameras only.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    edited August 2017
    Options
    A couple AR15s, a few SKS, M1 SOCOM .308 and a couple dozen others...and a dirty rotten Boxer dog ;)

I do have a couple IP cameras that I have linked to my phone that I can live stream
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Dredger said:

@tarheelmatt, are the cameras for outdoor? We've been waiting on that. The last time we checked, they had indoor cameras only.

Just indoor for now.  However, I think one could be creative make an enclosure around the indoor camera for outdoor use.  Not sure how long it would last, camera wise, but worth a shot if that's a big deal for you.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    Another +1 for SimpliSafe we also use a Canary camera in the detached garage and a Canary flex camera for outside. If you want to try the Canary cameras, check ebay, I have bought several new ones from there.
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    edited August 2017
    Options
    last time someone broke in, they left a toaster, seriously, maybe they stole the toaster from one of you guys.  thats the only break in ive had, probably stayed a few days and left
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @tarheelmatt and @Proser. We live in a very safe neighborhood, but have been looking into cameras just the same. We just moved the John Deere mower out of the storage building. We cleaned out a lot of stuff and moved most of our gold prospecting equipment there in it's place. We also bought a 12 foot trailer to haul said equipment and it stays outside also. The genius (blithering idiot) that built this house installed zero windows overlooking the driveway, so that's why we're looking seriously into cameras now.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    Been a Front Point customer for about four (4) years now.  Very reliable service with lots of gadgets.  Customer Service has been great for the few times I needed them.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I use Front Point. Excellent system, all cellular/wireless. I recommend them highly.

I also use FrontPoint. Agree they should be in the mix of your decision.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    With cheap tech now. You can build your own system and save the monthly fees. That's what I'm gonna do. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Almost but not quite ranks up there w/ oil changes on a Camry. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Why in the world would you tell people on a public forum that you don't have an alarm system at your house? 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Or, you need to change your oil on a Camry?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Or, you need to change your oil on a Camry?
    When is the last time you posted a cook? 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    last time someone broke in, they left a toaster, seriously, maybe they stole the toaster from one of you guys.  thats the only break in ive had, probably stayed a few days and left
    Heh. Only time I've had an inkling of an intruder was a neighbor's family member who went into the wrong house. Walked right in when we were hanging out so I said "what's up?!". He got all flustered and started apologizing profusely as he walked out. Good times.
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Here we use IP POE cameras with Blue Iris as the NVR and that also pushes out messages and video to our devices - iPhones, iPads, etc. 

We also integrate Blue Iris with our home automation system - HomeSeer software monitoring and controlling z-wave devices, including lights, locks, door and window sensors and motion detectors. 

If we are both away from home, our "house" knows this and goes into alarm mode wherein if a window or door is opened or broken, the alarm is set off, and we are notified. 

But, if the cameras are doing their job, advertising their presence in a somewhat subtle way, the professional crooks won't bother with our house, they'll go on to easier pickings. 

Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    JNDATHP said:
    Here we use IP POE cameras with Blue Iris as the NVR and that also pushes out messages and video to our devices - iPhones, iPads, etc. 

We also integrate Blue Iris with our home automation system - HomeSeer software monitoring and controlling z-wave devices, including lights, locks, door and window sensors and motion detectors. 

If we are both away from home, our "house" knows this and goes into alarm mode wherein if a window or door is opened or broken, the alarm is set off, and we are notified. 

But, if the cameras are doing their job, advertising their presence in a somewhat subtle way, the professional crooks won't bother with our house, they'll go on to easier pickings. 

Man, for all that you said, you'd think you'd spring for a more plush front porch chair.  :smiley:
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JNDATHP
    Options
    tarheelmatt said Man, for all that you said, you'd think you'd spring for a more plush front porch chair.  :smiley:
    I know, still looking for a decent bistro table and chairs...
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    JNDATHP said:
    tarheelmatt said Man, for all that you said, you'd think you'd spring for a more plush front porch chair.  :smiley:
    I know, still looking for a decent bistro table and chairs...
    Just playing with you little buddy.  I'm just an ol hillbilly, so that's fancy here!  :)
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JNDATHP
    Options
    I took it in good humor. No worries!
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Don't know if you would find this useful, but I just bought 2 Ring cameras with 2 solar panels as a bundle from Costo. I think it was about $150 cheaper than Amazon . No wiring as such to  mess with, and no batteries in the cams to recharge. It is $3/month/camera for cloud monitoring though. A little cheaper if you pay for a year upfront.

And if they don't work out, Costo will take then back.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Y'all got yo sh!t on lock. Lol
    Half the time my gate is unlocked.
    Back door unlocked.
    And during the day, front door unlocked.

I do have a cop neighbor on the right side, and a Don't Tread On Me flag under the Stars and Stripes on the left.  Between us three, I feel good for just about anything but Martial Law. 
    We would need a few more on board. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bradleya123
    Options
    Another for SimplySafe plus a few Smith & Wessen's and Mossberg 500!  Yeah Baby!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC