Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many of you soak your wood chucks ?

Options
2»

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I like to soak it in cider 
    Dickin's Cider?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    edited August 2017
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    ColtsFan said:
    I like to soak it in cider 
    Dickin's Cider?
    Finally! I was disappointed that I didn't get an earlier response.  =)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Don't soak

what kind of lump you cooking with?
    Cowboy and green egg kind 
    Try NOT using Cowboy. I have never used it because this forum has scared me off of it, but from what I have read it may produce the campfire taste you are experiencing.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    No soaking.  See the report/video on the Weber Bullett forum: http://virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html 
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    What's with all the "campfire taste" comments? Nothing finer than food cooked over a campfire. I assume you're referring to VOCs and are just describing it poorly. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Options
    Another vote for no.
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    So when I grill salmon on a cedar shake I shouldn't soak the cedar first?  Soaked or not soaked, makes no difference?
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Just the one time I left them out in the rain.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Never soak...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I approached this question scientifically.  I smoked two pork butts (from the same animal and trimmed to the same mass) for exactly 12 hrs on two different eggs using the same weight (before soak) of apple wood chips.  One set was soaked, the other was not.  

I then served the pulled pork to a panel of experts, and asked them to sample some from each batch and tell me if they noticed any difference.  I did not tell the panel what I had done, only that there *could* be a difference.

The experts noted slight differences in texture and moisture which I attribute to statistical variability, as their conclusions were not uniform.  Not one expert mentioned one of the batches tasting more smoky than the other.  This suggests that, at least for pulled pork and other low and slow cooks, there is not sufficient evidence to support the contention that there is utility in soaking the smoking wood.  So I can't in good conscience recommend it to you.

Now, if you don't believe in my methods or this tall tale I've told, I challenge you to repeat this process with even half of the rigor I have described.  Just be sure to use deionized water for the soak.
    Must be nice to be tenured in academia at a bogus school where you have time for such non-peer reviewed vagueries rather than traveling around on the DOD's dollar preaching about climate change and its impact on the LGBTVU community.  =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I approached this question scientifically.  I smoked two pork butts (from the same animal and trimmed to the same mass) for exactly 12 hrs on two different eggs using the same weight (before soak) of apple wood chips.  One set was soaked, the other was not.  

I then served the pulled pork to a panel of experts, and asked them to sample some from each batch and tell me if they noticed any difference.  I did not tell the panel what I had done, only that there *could* be a difference.

The experts noted slight differences in texture and moisture which I attribute to statistical variability, as their conclusions were not uniform.  Not one expert mentioned one of the batches tasting more smoky than the other.  This suggests that, at least for pulled pork and other low and slow cooks, there is not sufficient evidence to support the contention that there is utility in soaking the smoking wood.  So I can't in good conscience recommend it to you.

Now, if you don't believe in my methods or this tall tale I've told, I challenge you to repeat this process with even half of the rigor I have described.  Just be sure to use deionized water for the soak.
    Must be nice to be tenured in academia at a bogus school where you have time for such non-peer reviewed vagueries rather than traveling around on the DOD's dollar preaching about climate change and its impact on the LGBTVU community.  =)
    Not that there is anything wrong with that.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I don't soak, or use cowboy.

Phoenix 
  • EggPerfection
    Options
    No soak. I can't tell the difference so, why bother?
    Best - Jack
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I never soak, it is a waste of time and water....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Normally I just soak my liver. As for the cider... 7up and cider. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • E3MeatCo
    Options
    We don't usually soak the chips, we see no added benefit to doing that
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    No soak!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    I've never had wood chuck. Any good? 
  • bigegger
    bigegger Posts: 87
    Options
    I used to soak wood chips before I had an electric smoker but now with the BGE I use wood chunks and logs which really doesn't soak up much water anyways.
    So,  -no- =)
    LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    The only time I ever soak chips is when my fire has gotten way ahead of me. Then a blanket of wet chips and closing the dome quickly brings the fire down as much as 100º. Even a soak of only 10 minutes will do it and is more effective than trying to spray water on the fire since that becomes a risk of burns from the steam! This trick has worked for me for years - though of course it's best not to let the fire get away in the first place!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I tried smoking my wood chuck, but he ran around so fast, I couldn't catch him.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Rabidgoose
    Options
    Never soak, but always drink
    LG BGE...PSWOOII-CI...PLATESETTER...THERMAPEN...MAVERICK-ET-733

Thumb MI
  • ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    I tried smoking my wood chuck, but he ran around so fast, I couldn't catch him.
    Careful John, you'll have PETA looking for you. A wet chuck is not a happy chuck.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • amigo109
    Options
    What do you guys mean by "waiting for clean burn"?  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    @amigo109 - welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Now regarding your question- the "waiting for the clean smoke" has to do with ensuring the Volatile Organic Compounds (voc's) have burned off-the thick nasty smelling smoke you get when you initially fire up the BGE.  So once the white smoke is gone trust the nose and smell the smoke coming out the top.  If it smells good you are ready to cook, if not wait til it does.  Patience is the watchword.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.