Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When to put the rub on Prime Beef Joint

Options
masplin
masplin Posts: 5
Hi

First time out doing a beef joint. I've read around and think I have my plan in place. One question is I've seen suggestions to salt the joint for 24 hours in fridge to dry out.  If i'm applying a rub (that contains salt) is that applied at this point or after the beef comes out of the fridge and just before cooking starts?  I'm not sure how long you need the rub on the meat for it to impart flavour before cooking?

My plan is

24 hours before salt and place in fridge covered in paper towel to dry out (or with rub as above)
30min before cooking take out of fridge and apply rub (if not already done)
Cook at 110C indirect for around 30min lb until 52C
Rest for 10min while cranking up heat to 250C
3-10min to brown off

Sound about right?

Thanks
Mike

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    On the Amazingribs site they are a proponent of dry brining (applying the salt only in advance). 

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/dry_brining.html

They suggest doing the dry brine, and then add a salt free rub later. If your rub is already pre-mixed with salt then I would just put on the rub 24 hours ahead of time. If you are using a home made rub and you can split out the salt then I you could salt first, then the rest of the salt free rub later.

I think the idea is when you add salt alone ahead of time more of it absorbs into the meat. Honestly though I wouldn't worry about it too much. I am not sure you could really tell a huge difference. If you already have a pre-mixed rub with salt then I would just use that. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• masplin
    masplin Posts: 5
    Options
    brilliant thanks.  will try the salt only as i'm making the rub