Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

buffalo t-bone......any ideas on how i should do it?

Options
mikeb6109
mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
last night i went to help out someone with there new egg . they had bought 1/2 a buffalo.but they really did not care for the steak when cooked on the gasser! so he gave me a couple t bone buffalo steaks to try out! he said that he found them to be really tought and dry,cooked on his gasser! so is there something i should know before i try to attempt on my egg?? i had heard that buffalo was suppose to be realy great meat.....so? any ideas will be greatly appreciated! gonna try it out tonight after work!
thanks mike

Comments

• SuperDave
    Options
    mikeb6109,[p] Yes! Do a wet marinade in the fridge, don't season until just before you put on the egg, and do a 650º sear for 90 seconds on each side then remove, check internal temp and cool down the egg to around 350º or so then finish cooking to no more than 145º
    Bison is delicious, but very lean and dries out fast on the grill, so be careful not to over cook. Med rare, to med is as far as you want to go with them.

• mikeb6109
    Options
    SuperDave,
    any ideas on the wet marinade?

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    mikeb6109,[p]I've been cooking buffalo for a few years. The meat is often not easy. Part of this seems to be because there is not as much standardization in the production as beef, etc. Range fed bison tend to be very lean, and sometimes quite tough. Farm raised are usually a little fatter, but still pretty tough. Being several times larger than beef, it seems their ordinary grazing makes them pretty strong.[p]I have done bison T-bones from a farm, not range. The ones I had were rather thin for steaks. Just about an inch. I brined them for 6 hours, with pepper and ginger in the water along with salt. When broiled coating the steaks with a , they turned out just on the edge of mushy. Which is to say, the were the most tender I'd ever had.[p]You might also try rubbing them with a little EVOO, and fridging them for a few hours. That will tenderize and add a little fat so they're not dry.[p]gdenby[p]

• Rumrunner
    Options
    mikeb6109, coat lightly with EVOO, then a dusting of just kosher salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Cook indirect for about 10-12 minutes with a good hit of cherry wood. Take steak off grill, open vents and then sear the heck out of the steak until your desired degree of doneness (hopefully not over med). Delicious.

• mikeb6109
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    10 to 12 minutes at what temp?

• Rumrunner
    Options
    mikeb6109, sorry about that....250° works good.

• mikeb6109
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    thanks .....your suggestion is the way i'm going!really looking foward to try it.
    mike