Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I remember why I don't buy Costco baby back ribs any more!

Options
2»

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Focker said:
    Back ribs are from mature pigs.
    Baby backs are from piglets.

Irreguardless, I like my loin on the side.
    How many side pieces at once? 
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Turns out that I agree with the OP. Never gave it much thought before as to why costco ribs dont do it for me. I will have to try trimming them down in the future. 
    Gittin' there...
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    This is where Costco baby backs come from.

LOL - stirring the pot tonight, huh, Brandon?

Always.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    We like the ones from Walmart. Silver skin needs to be removed. 

Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Someone mentioned it above, so got a couple of racks from Aldi's yesterday to try them out. They were cheap and looked good. 
    Dinner tonight.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• CanadianAnvil
    Options
    Kcheves said:
    KiterTodd said:
    Costco pigs eat Costco food.  Big restaurant sized portions of diner rolls, cinnamon buns and 48 packs of cheap hot dogs (I know, feeding pork to pork is kind of creepy).  That's how they get so big!   :)

Costco hot dogs are Kosher all beef, no lips or sphincters.
    Just beef lips and sphincter s
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    just buy the st louis cut, they just taste better than babybacks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've had some problems with Hormel ribs. I've returned ribs twice in the last 6 months to the grocery store. They look good at the store until you start to trim them up. Huge fat pockets. (Not good fat) You could see through the ribs when done trimming. 

Have any of you been getting the extra bone between the rib bones? I can't tell you how many racks of Hormel has had this issue. I could hardly find two racks of ribs without the third bone stacked in between the rib bone. You can't cut between the rib bones as the third bone stacked above them gets in the way. I pointed this out to the meat manager at the grocery store as we were supposed to use their ribs for the rib competition they were hosting. I even had the meat manager whisper to me that the quality has gone down in the last year. I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking the same thing. I found the extra bones in a Sam's 3 pack the other day. Whatever happened to just basic baby backs? 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    I quit Hormel ribs a year ago for the same fat issues. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    just buy the st louis cut, they just taste better than babybacks
    I've never tried them. I always see them, I always consider it, but the tried and true baby backs always end up in the cart.
    What is the difference? (other than size)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    edited August 2017
    Options
    the st louis has more flavor, more fat marbling than the leaner,loiny bb. been finding smaller ones in the organic section. worth it to me to avoid the repackaged hormel ribs in the regular section
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @KiterTodd - cut from a different part of the pig.  What follows is a link to a nerd's guide to protein:
    http://swansonmeats.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Meat-Buyers-Guide.pdf  Pork starts at page 133.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    I haven't stopped in Costco lately, so I forget the exact rib prices, but I know they're a great value.

I posted an Aldi's thread a couple weeks ago that I didn't like their brand of ribs (too salty) but I think they were about $10 a rack.  Afterwards, I went shopping and found two exact same packages of Smithfield ribs in two different markets for drastically different prices.

One at $9/lbs. and one at $4/lbs.   If I recall, I think Costco rib 3 packs are between $2.50 and $3/lbs.  Anyway, this amused me enough that I took a picture of a $30 rack of Smithfield ribs...  :o

LBGE/Maryland
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Ok, in my years of eating Costco ribs I have noticed unevenness of the slabs making them harder to cook. My solution is pretty simple, I looks for the lightest cheapest package.  Those ribs are meaty, but even. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    I haven't stopped in Costco lately, so I forget the exact rib prices, but I know they're a great value.

I posted an Aldi's thread a couple weeks ago that I didn't like their brand of ribs (too salty) but I think they were about $10 a rack.  Afterwards, I went shopping and found two exact same packages of Smithfield ribs in two different markets for drastically different prices.

One at $9/lbs. and one at $4/lbs.   If I recall, I think Costco rib 3 packs are between $2.50 and $3/lbs.  Anyway, this amused me enough that I took a picture of a $30 rack of Smithfield ribs...  :o

Not surprised by the Chevy Chase prices. Being one of the wealthiest areas in the US no too many folks there will bother driving around to find a deal.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

Costco had spares and loin back for 2.99/lb as of last week here in Frederick.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I haven't been to Costco since RD opened here, so I can't comment. But I sure do hope your knee heals quickly, Judy. 
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Not surprised by the Chevy Chase prices. Being one of the wealthiest areas in the US no too many folks there will bother driving around to find a deal.
    Having just shopped for ribs elsewhere, I was pretty shocked.  Anyone picking those up really doesn't know meat prices... or just doesn't care.  The things that I did buy in the store (beer, sandwich, chips, drink) were normal prices, though.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Costco ribs are back ribs, different than baby backs.  I think the back ribs are more forgiving than the baby backs.  My last two baby back cooks came out a little dry.
    Back ribs are baby back, aka loin back. Ribs closest to the spine, under the loin. Spareribs are off of the side. Called baby back since they are smaller than spares.
    So they must be a different cut then?  Back ribs definitely have more of the loin hence the thicker cut.  
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Today's overly meaty pig bones from Costco in progress

Jacksonville FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @SoCal_Griller - Here's a rerun of a post above.  More than you will need to know.
    "@KiterTodd - cut from a different part of the pig.  What follows is a link to a nerd's guide to protein:
    http://swansonmeats.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Meat-Buyers-Guide.pdf  Pork starts at page 133. " 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    JNDATHP said:
    We like the ones from Walmart. Silver skin needs to be removed. 

I've tried those. They are pretty good, but I've noticed the added solution that is in them gives the ribs a ham like flavor.

Have you ever noticed this?
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    GregW said:
    I've tried those. They are pretty good, but I've noticed the added solution that is in them gives the ribs a ham like flavor.

That must have been what was in the Aldi's baby backs I posted about a couple weeks back.  I didn't like 'em.  Salty and when I opened the package the flesh had more of a gelatinous look than the normal flesh color.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    GregW said:

That must have been what was in the Aldi's baby backs I posted about a couple weeks back.  I didn't like 'em.  Salty and when I opened the package the flesh had more of a gelatinous look than the normal flesh color.
    Man, that sucks.
    These spares were from Aldi, no issues.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."