Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FireCraft Rockwood Price Increase?

Options

Comments

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    "Their cost" could be taken a number of different ways. I'm guessing shipping is the leading player here. 
    Snellville, GA

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to ask "why" 5 times or so to get to the root cause.  When the CEO of the company says "not on his end" and a customer service rep is on the other...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    tjv said:
    on the blues hog, try these guys,  it's blues hog with some heat on the back end.  their mustard is killer, 9 out of 10 who try it in our store, take a jar home. thanks RRP for alerting forum to this one years ago.

http://stickypigbbq.com/

t

Thanks Tom! I have liked their products for years. While I have absolutely NO involvement I'd still like to explain my REMOTE connection...

Several years ago I stumbled on to some reference to this producer which had the same city in Missouri (Centralia) where my wife and I grew up in the '50s. Upon graduation from high school in 1962 we went off to college, got married and other than occasionally visiting our now deceased parents we never really went back. Turns out the "Sticky Pig" producer's address is/was just less than 1 block from where I grew up!
    BTW the rest of the connection to Blue's Hog Sauce is the two guys were on the same BBQ team until splitting up so that is why the tastes may seem similar.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Oh, well.  Back to Cowboy.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    A guy from my company just bought the local ACE.  Imma ask for the company discount on a pallet. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    A guy from my company just bought the local ACE.  Imma ask for the company discount on a pallet. 
    Been holding that large nest for you...  Never mind.  You'll have some fieldball excuse.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Firecraft has been great for me every time. I usually pick up a few other items when I order from them so I may continue to use, but it might depend on the price I can get at Ace. An $18 increase on my normal lump order can test a guy's loyalty.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Still got 12 boxes of that center cut crap. Burns clean in just a couple of minutes and no chips or dust. Wish I would have gotten ripped off for another 20 boxes at under $8 a box.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Funny, I found the price that will make me go brick&mortar.  Its $24.95 :)

@Ozzie_Isaac   you found RW at a brick&mortar in AZ?

Phoenix 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Mikee said:
    Still got 12 boxes of that center cut crap. Burns clean in just a couple of minutes and no chips or dust. Wish I would have gotten ripped off for another 20 boxes at under $8 a box.

The box I bought served its purpose. It lights fast and you can start cooking in no time. Having said that, my box had a tremendous amount of chips and dust. It's still Rockwood all the way for me.
    Stillwater, MN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Buy some briquettes. 
    Options
    What brand? 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Buy some briquettes. 
    I think I might still have a bag or two of briquettes somewhere. They have got to be at least 5 years old, kept in my garage, stored behind my Rockwood, possibly, if I have not given them away.
    I bought them at Lowe's, 2 bags, 20 # each for $9.00 total which were wrapped in plastic, together. 40 pounds of briquettes. I bought several of the 2 bag deals, gave them away as gifts, mostly. Yessiree. (Kind of like golf for those who play, a box of balls are always a good gift, right?)
    Made in the USA. Before America was great, again. Just proves deals can be had.
    I made this purchase prior to the availability of the center cut, birch lump, from Russia. (Good for you, those that like it.)
    The Kingsford may not be center cut, but I am sure it was middle pile. 
    I suppose I am covered, in case I want no chips, or dust in a bag? Likely not, and I would be foolish to imply so.
    I just keep telling myself I got a bargain as my rationalization for the purchase, and that somebody, somewhere, maybe, is grilling burgers with it, should it still be available for use.
    That is all that is important anyway.
    The rationalization, that is. I could not possibly care less about the briquettes.
    I have Rockwood.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    blasting said:

The three BBQ Island stores around Phoenix perhaps.  Otherwise, it will be in Ace by the end of the year as we complete the expansion with them.
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    blasting said:

The three BBQ Island stores around Phoenix perhaps.  Otherwise, it will be in Ace by the end of the year as we complete the expansion with them.
    I've got Ace stores all around me in Ohio.  Here, too?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    fiver29 said:

Yes......anything east of the Rockies now.  SKU 8400772 and they'll be able to pull it from the warehouse in Columbus
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    fiver29 said:

Yes......anything east of the Rockies now.  SKU 8400772 and they'll be able to pull it from the warehouse in Columbus
    I am in Minnesota, I cannot find Rockwood on the ACE hardware website at all?  can someone share a link please?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    yumdinger said:
    fiver29 said:

I am in Minnesota, I cannot find Rockwood on the ACE hardware website at all?  can someone share a link please?
    Go to your local Ace and give them the SKU and it will come up in their order system.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stlcharcoal
    edited August 2017
    Options
    yumdinger said:
    fiver29 said:

It's not on the website until we add the final California warehouse, but they can order it using sku 8400772.  We also have a distributor in St. Cloud if you want to buy in bulk.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I've been paying $24.95 locally for a while now.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    yumdinger said:
    fiver29 said:

It's not on the website until we add the final California warehouse, but they can order it using sku 8400772.  We also have a distributor in St. Cloud if you want to buy in bulk.
    Wait what???? California warehouse???

Does this mean you have overcome your long opposition to selling in Cali?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    yumdinger said:
    fiver29 said:

@yumdinger I'm not sure where you're located in MN but My Appliance Source in Shakopee carries it. That's where I buy mine from
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    SKU 8400772      is your friend.   Put it in your phone.  Give it to your ACE special order person and you will be happy!  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    yumdinger said:
    fiver29 said:

Wait what???? California warehouse???

Does this mean you have overcome your long opposition to selling in Cali?

Haha.....you make it sound like it was some long standing grudge or something.  A lot of stuff started aligning, then a few curve balls, but it just made sense to add them at this point.  Had to hire an environmental attorney at $750/hr to advise on all the new Prop65 rules......ouch.  Money well spent though (these new regs are even worse!!!!)  Should have everything finalized soon and the first bags shipping in late October.

• cookingdude555
    Options
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,092
    edited August 2017
    Options
    blasting said:

Sorry, just saw this.  My notifications are over 1000, I don't use them.

There are 3 stores in Phoenix that carry it, BBQ Island I think.  @Jeepster47 knows which ones for sure  I will see if I can find the list.

I will just use something else local, unless I'm in Phoenix.  Firecrafts price isn't worth it to me.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    yumdinger said:
    Thanks for this info.  I am interested in hearing more about the St Cloud option.  My son is actually playing hockey up there this winter.  I will be there often but yes Bulk is an option.....To a point of course.  I don't need a pallet but 6-8 bags at at time is not out of the question.

The last bag of RO I got was pure junk.  Small pieces and powder.  I opened the bag, dumped it in my Lump storage container and had to take a shower, felt like a coal miner after working a 12 hour shift.  
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    yumdinger said:
    Thanks for this info.  I am interested in hearing more about the St Cloud option.  My son is actually playing hockey up there this winter.  I will be there often but yes Bulk is an option.....To a point of course.  I don't need a pallet but 6-8 bags at at time is not out of the question.

The last bag of RO I got was pure junk.  Small pieces and powder.  I opened the bag, dumped it in my Lump storage container and had to take a shower, felt like a coal miner after working a 12 hour shift.  
    I got a Firecraft order of Rockwood not that long ago, but I might be interested in a group buy if you go forward. I also have a co-worker who I'm sure would take a few if the price is right.
    Stillwater, MN
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    @stlcharcoal, what about Utah?

Northern and Eastern Utah right now, yes.  SW Utah is coming soon as we close the final gaps.

PSA to Everyone........SIGN UP FOR THE REWARDS.  In the past week I have received a $5 off $15, and a $7 off $20 coupon.  I think I've spend $30-40 at Ace in the last month on nuts, bolts, and misc stuff and I still get these like crazy.