Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I remember why I don't buy Costco baby back ribs any more!

Options
I've been sidelined with a full knee replacement, and with some help got all set up to make the ribs I've been hankering for. The only thing missing was the ribs, so someone made a run to Costco as the easiest way (membranes are already removed). Cooked them with a hickory chunk at 275° with the PS Woo and a Frogmat, rubbed with Killer Hogs BBQ Rub. Put Hawaiian BBQ Sauce spiked with Tennessee Red on for the last 20 minutes. It took 4.5 hours till done perfectly.

My complaint? They are SO meaty that it's like eating pork roast done past pink. I never examined why I'd stopped buying Costco and just forgot about it...I want a litttle char and bark and to bite closer to the bone, not a mouthful of pork roast. Objectively I sound like a mad woman, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else had ever had that thought. All I think about these days is exercising that knee, so now these kind of questions have a chance to bubble to the surface.
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    I know what you mean, but I still buy them and trim the thick part down, cook that separately for a little treat.  Thick part is one end, so I even them up and carry on, crusty ribs.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I thought you were going to say it's because they put 3 or 4 ribs in a pack. That's a lot of ribs for 2 people.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I actually prefer them that way. No issues with dryness and they make a nice cook's treat, like Legume said.
  • RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    Options
    I love them!  
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I don't mind the Costco BB ribs.  I usually split the rack in half to make two cook.   Hope you have speed recovery.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I am a porkophile.
    I like Costco's ribs, I grill them and folks eat them, telling me they love them.
    That being said, I will cook just about any rack of ribs and tell you the exact same thing.
    Put them on the egg, cook, devour, repeat.
    I wish you a speedy recovery, you will feel so much better. You will be cooking non Costco ribs in no time.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I am with you Judy, I like em evenly trimmed. they are getting harder to find. 

with that said, pork is almost like chicken, not much on natural flavor. It's becoming the other bland white meat.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    have cooked plenty of those big bb costco ribs but lately im finding small racks of spares in my local market. like them alot more
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I know what you mean exactly. I know it sounds crazy to complain about ribs being too meaty, but I think you are spot on that when they are too thick you are not getting extra rib meat, you are getting loin meat. Honestly almost all ribs I find in my area are like this. I found ribs at Trader Joe's and they were smaller and thinner. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Can't say I've ever had a rib that was too meaty.  That being said I have never done the Costco ribs.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't know much about ribs; I doubt I've cooked 'em more than half a dozen times. Just wanted to wish you well with the knee thing. I didn't know you were going through that and I hope the rehab goes well!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Costco pigs eat Costco food.  Big restaurant sized portions of diner rolls, cinnamon buns and 48 packs of cheap hot dogs (I know, feeding pork to pork is kind of creepy).  That's how they get so big!   :)

I like them.  Ribs are so expensive everywhere else unless you find a good sale.  Costco gives a solid product for a very fair price AND I like that the silk skin on the inside is already removed.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Judy it sounds like you are looking for SRF ribs. They may be just your size.
    Snellville, GA

• Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Costco pigs eat Costco food.  Big restaurant sized portions of diner rolls, cinnamon buns and 48 packs of cheap hot dogs (I know, feeding pork to pork is kind of creepy).  That's how they get so big!   :)

Costco hot dogs are Kosher all beef, no lips or sphincters.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I've been sidelined with a full knee replacement, and with some help got all set up to make the ribs I've been hankering for. The only thing missing was the ribs, so someone made a run to Costco as the easiest way (membranes are already removed). Cooked them with a hickory chunk at 275° with the PS Woo and a Frogmat, rubbed with Killer Hogs BBQ Rub. Put Hawaiian BBQ Sauce spiked with Tennessee Red on for the last 20 minutes. It took 4.5 hours till done perfectly.

My complaint? They are SO meaty that it's like eating pork roast done past pink. I never examined why I'd stopped buying Costco and just forgot about it...I want a litttle char and bark and to bite closer to the bone, not a mouthful of pork roast. Objectively I sound like a mad woman, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else had ever had that thought. All I think about these days is exercising that knee, so now these kind of questions have a chance to bubble to the surface.
    Pork-a-complain.....its justifiable. Don't get me wrong, I like the meatiness of them myself. Just saying that its a bad day when we are complaining about too much meat on a rib. Judy, I mean no disrespect....just funnin with you. 

I hope your knee gets back so you can kick field goals....you know football season is just around the corner. All the best on your recovery.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Costco baby backs are the only baby backs I buy. As mentioned earlier it's easy to just trim off that extra flap of meat at the one end if that is bothersome.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Judy! - I had no idea about the knee replacement. I hope you keep getting better and work it thru and will be doing cartwheels on the lawn soon!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Sam's backs are just fine, no loin...just sayin'.  =)

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Focker said:
    Okay, I'll bite... why are there toothpicks sticking out of your ribs?
    I used toothpicks to check doneness, but hadn't cooked with them in there.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Recently I have noticed that the Kroger BB ribs are quite meaty as well.  Must be something in the force feeding program.  I'm good with meaty ribs.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Focker
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Focker said:
    Okay, I'll bite... why are there toothpicks sticking out of your ribs?
    I used toothpicks to check doneness, but hadn't cooked with them in there.
    Was trying 3 different rubs, decided to use them to check at the end too.  Kind of nice to leave it in and have it there when you need it.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me, I have some leftover Costco ribs from yesterday's cook, think I'll throw them in the toaster oven for a while and remember how good they were yesterday.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Costco ribs are back ribs, different than baby backs.  I think the back ribs are more forgiving than the baby backs.  My last two baby back cooks came out a little dry.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    First world problems. Got some in the freezer, looks like tomorrow's cook.
    I half the rack and vacuum seal, fits on the large better too.  
    Jacksonville FL
  • Focker
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Back ribs are from mature pigs.
    Baby backs are from piglets.

Irreguardless, I like my loin on the side.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Focker said:
    Back ribs are from mature pigs.
    Baby backs are from piglets.

Irreguardless, I like my loin on the side.
    Nope 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Costco ribs are back ribs, different than baby backs.  I think the back ribs are more forgiving than the baby backs.  My last two baby back cooks came out a little dry.
    Back ribs are baby back, aka loin back. Ribs closest to the spine, under the loin. Spareribs are off of the side. Called baby back since they are smaller than spares.
  • Focker
    edited August 2017
    Options
    This is where Costco baby backs come from.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Focker said:

Swift has interesting breeding practices.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Focker said:

LOL - stirring the pot tonight, huh, Brandon?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.