Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef ribs

Options
No sliced pics but these turned out very good.

I usually foil/braise beef ribs after 3 hours or so but I just let these ride the whole time, uncovered at 250.  Took a little over 7 hours.

Rubbed a little hot sauce on them then coated with Cupacabra Brisket rub.  Srayed with a little water, ac vinegar and wortchester sauce the last 4 hours.

Glazed with a sauce I made the last 45 minutes or so.  Franklin's espresso recipe from his book.
XL BGE

Comments

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Looks great right there.  Nailed the bark.
    Glad you transitioned to the lazy cook club.  Let the BGE work its magic and just oversee with adult beverages.  No turning back now.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Excellent.  I much prefer this way of cooking than using a braise method.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Yum, espresso rub sounds wonderful!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    That will be some mighty fine eating right there. Throw me a bone will ya?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    They look absolutely fantastic. As cap said, you nailed the bark.

XL BGE
    MD
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Man those look good. I cooked beef back ribs yesterday and they weren't even edible. 
    Snellville, GA

• lousubcap
    Options
    Dang @Eggdicted_Dawgfan - how did that happen?  Just gotta trust the toothpick for any rib cook.  Sorry to read that.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap it was a shame. Didn't really have too high of hopes but I didn't think they would be trashcan worthy. Cooked 250-280 for 5 hours. Probed like butter. Litterally nothing but fat. And I didn't remove the membrane either. So fat and membrane was served. Live and learn. Definitely not giving up. Got to get my hands on some better meat. Hopefully some short ribs soon. 
    Snellville, GA

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    After about 4 hours.

Snellville, GA

• lousubcap
    Options
    Thanks for the follow-up. Too bad for the lousy cut of ribs.  Back ribs here are fairly pricy.  BTW- I usually find the beef back rib membrane easier to remove than their pork cousins but every protein cut is different.  If you can score the whole short rib section before they get individually cut up you will be justly rewarded.  
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Thanks Lou. Uncut short ribs are definitely the next up on the list. Just got to find them.
    Snellville, GA

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    After about 4 hours.

I never had much luck with those ribs either.  Very little meat, a ton of fat, and was always very disappointed with the end results.

Sort ribs are the way to go.  We get ours at the local Costco.  These last packages were marked "Prime" at $4.99 a pound.  After cooking, the meat was approximately 2- 2.5 inches thick on top of the bones.

Doing another batch this weekend.  Will try to get some pics of the sliced ribs this time.
    XL BGE
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    :clap:
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...