Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butts for party of 40

Options
Cooked these two 10lb butts for a big group yesterday - huge hit!

My process is let rub sit in overnight, bring to room temp, place on grill at 225, once the butt reaches 165 internally, I wrap in foil and place back on the egg indirect until I get to 185.

Then wrapped in a towel, thrown in a cooler until we're ready to serve. It was outstanding, but one question I had... One of the butts did not stay together (fell apart) as I was transferring to the foil... Is that normal? Anything I can do to keep everything together?

Thanks, in advance. 
Nashville, TN

Medium BGE | Large BGE | Little Griddle | Kick Ash Basket | Looftlighter

Comments

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Your butt was fall apart tender and you want to know how to fix it?

They look awesome!
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • joeybrown105
    Options
    Ha @Hibby! I was just curious if that was the norm or not.. before I wrapped in the tinfoil to place back on the grill, it almost fell into 2 separate pieces
    Nashville, TN

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Ha @Hibby! I was just curious if that was the norm or not.. before I wrapped in the tinfoil to place back on the grill, it almost fell into 2 separate pieces
    It happens now and then. No big deal. Looks like you did a fantastic job.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Some people like it firmer so they can slice it, but most people prefer cooking it till it's falling apart tender, so it pulls easily into pulled pork.  Sounds like that's exactly what you did -- great job!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Wait, I wonder if others are misunderstanding.  It fell apart when the temp was 165 - as you were transferring to the foil?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Use some butcher twine if you want to hold it together. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    A 10lb butt falling apart is a good thing. Two is even better. 

-Martha Stewart
    New Albany, Ohio 

• joeybrown105
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, all.

Yes @Foghorn it was around 170-ish when I transferred it to the foil, and was split in 2... Not necessarily complaining, was just curious if that was the norm
    Nashville, TN

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    That's not the norm in my experience. But depending on how it was butchered I have seen one fall apart along a fat plane. I'm guessing the muscle didn't fall apart at that temp (except maybe partially - along the lines of a separation that started in the fat.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, all.

Yes @Foghorn it was around 170-ish when I transferred it to the foil, and was split in 2... Not necessarily complaining, was just curious if that was the norm
    SHould be pretty tight @ that point, the fat cap will split, but havent had the whole butt to that @ that temp
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Fall apart shoulder isnthe best...you dont want to have to work too hard to shred it and chopping with a cleaver means it hasnt cooked enough as far as im concerned

Fall apart shouldah is the way to go...