Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many of you soak your wood chucks ?

Options
I always just throw a few in about 15 min before food . Is the smoke taste less when they are soaked ? A few of my cooks have been pretty campfire like taste wonder if I should let them cook down more .

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Don't soak

what kind of lump you cooking with?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Not in the egg. Just adding water.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Options
    Used to, not anymore.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I'll soak two and leave the other two dry.  That way the two wet ones are drying out and smoking as the two initial dry ones are burning out.  Not sure how much extra time it buys, but by the time the meat hits 140ish, that's when it stops absorbing smoke.  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'll soak two and leave the other two dry.  That way the two wet ones are drying out and smoking as the two initial dry ones are burning out.  Not sure how much extra time it buys, but by the time the meat hits 140ish, that's when it stops absorbing smoke.  
    You're wasting your water. And as for smoke, meat takes on smoke as long as there IS smoke. It stops developing a smoke RING at 140°. Which has nothing to do with the presence of smoke, but that's another story.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hans61
    Options
    To address the campfire taste issue too, it's either the type of lump or too many chunks imho 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    Or not a clean burning fire
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • jfine1
    jfine1 Posts: 87
    Options
    I always soak 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    No soaking for me.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Robert5506
    Robert5506 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Don't soak

what kind of lump you cooking with?
    Cowboy and green egg kind 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    All soaking does is create steam. The wood absorbs very little water and doesn't smoke until that water steams off. So all you're doing is delaying the smoke until the surface water steams away. 

Don't bother. It accomplishes nothing.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I soak wood chips or else the burn up in a few minutes. Chunks go in dry.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    If wood soaked up water, do you think they would have made boats with it?
    I have not found the flavor of food enhanced with the burning wet wood. Just my opinion.
    Rockwood and dry smoking wood work for me.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Read up on wooden boats then ask yourself that question. 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I'm not sure because I don't have a woodchuck 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Soaking chips delays smoke.  That is a fact, use this information to cook better. 
    Options
    how much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could get soaked?
    Options
    With .22 shells. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    I like to soak it in cider 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I used to, but after my ch harassing at the hands of my fellow, esteemed forum members,no more.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Options
    Never, unless you want steam.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    NO
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Mikee said:
    I soak wood chips or else the burn up in a few minutes. Chunks go in dry.

That is why mixing the chips throughout the lump and lighting from the top in one spot, cooking with the lid down (low and slow) works best with dry chips. If you throw them on the top of burning lump, they will ignite when you open the lid and let oxygen in. 
    On the Weber, use chunks, unsoaked, in the kamado, chips or chunks unsoaked. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Nope. Never.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Mikee said:
    YukonRon said:
    Read up on wooden boats then ask yourself that question.

I get the "weighs less than the amount of water it displaces." However, the absorption of water by wood is much lower than a few people might think. That is why you will see Indonesian water craft, decades old, facilitating several generations, without the aid of paint or sealant of any kind, used as fishing boats on an ongoing, daily basis.
    If they absorbed water, their density would rise, making them heavier than the water they displace, therefore subject to sinking.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Nope - sprinkle chips and chunks around and through your lump, like tossing a big ol' charcoal salad - I get smoke throughout my entire cooks that way.

I USED to soak them when I was using my old gasser - but that was mostly to keep the chip box from bursting into flames.  

No soak - just smoke now!
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    When I was new I got campfire taste because I didn't wait until clean burn.  Rookie mistakes