Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg is ready for take off!

Options
mjfutures
mjfutures Posts: 53
edited July 2017 in EggHead Forum
My Egg is finally ready for take off ... I have no idea what I'm doing (but have watched a lot of videos), going to light it up Saturday morning and see what happens. I'm very happy I decided to build a table. 

Things I collected for this build ... (1st time egg owner)

1. Large BGE
2. Custom built table / Redwood 
3. SmokeWare Chimney Cap 
4. Ceramic Grill Store (Bunch of stuff), including this Combo / Ash tool, 16" Pizza Stone, Misc...
5. Thermapen MK4 Army Green
6. Table Nest / Concrete Paver

I plan to start out basic as all this Ceramic Grill Store stuff is a bit over my head at the moment. I also found one extra smaller rod in my box and not even sure where it goes!

If anyone has this CGS combo and can offer any advice that would be great.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks like the stars aligned for ya.  That's the way to do it!

Fire it up and enjoy!
    Options
    Looks Great, nice job jumping in with the AR.  

I also got confused with the smaller rod - it is for across the front of the Rig Extender.  You need it when you do Ribs on an Oval Grid on top of the Rig Extender.  Take a look at the pictures on their page:

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/shop-large-adjustable-rig-for-large-big-green-egg/products/large-adjustable-rig-extender-crossbar

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    welcome and enjoy
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Very nice setup you have there. Good job on the table.  You're going to love that setup.  Now fire it up and get it dirty. 
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Very nice set up, enjoy the maiden voyage!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Very very nice!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Looks like you did a gorgeous job on that table, and you have a fantastic setup!  I enjoyed grilling before I got a BGE, but I absolutely LOVE grilling and smoking on my Eggs!  I am sure you will have a ball!  Don't worry if there's a little bit of a learning curve.  Every type of cooker has its own methods.  This forum is great for experienced people helping out.  I have learned SO much, and still keep learning!
  • mjfutures
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments, this was the number one reason I bought an egg, the community. So cool.

i started my first fire and tried to keep the temp about 350 which was no problem. I let it do its thing about 45 minutes and now closed both the top and bottom vents, my temp is stuck around 300 with both closed. Do I need to cap it vs just closing vents? 

Im definitely going to start with 1 grid and do some chicken or burgers later today... lots of fun. 
  • mjfutures
    Options
    So in about 30 minutes with both vents closed dropped from 300 to 220.... sound about right?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yep.  Open it up and see if your fire is out.  if it is, you can leave it open and it'll cool down faster. 
    Options
    Yep.  Open it up and see if your fire is out.  if it is, you can leave it open and it'll cool down faster. 
    Ok great .. thanks for tip. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Once the fire is out, you're just looking at a large mass of ceramic, which holds plenty of heat energy, slowly cooling down. 
    Options
    Very nice!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @mjfutures

I would caution you to leave the egg shut when done.  If you think the fire is out and you open it, it will allow oxygen to enter the system again.  If one coal is still lit, you'll soon have a large fire on hand again.  Not worth the risk, especially if you walk away for awhile.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    Options
    Nice setup, enjoy egging! You mentioned community, and your right, this forum is great, but from your picture, once you start smoking/cooking there a real good chance some of your neighbors will be heading over too. (Once that smoke starts rolling and the smell get out....it draws people in) There is also a good chance one of your neighbors will buy an egg too (if they don't have one already) once they sample some your food. Lol that how it works....Egg on!
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Welcome, have fun, cook tasty food and EGG ON!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Welcome aboard.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Concur w/ @RedSkip.  Unless you are in a hurry to touch the outside of your egg for some reason, just leave it shut.  No reason to rush and risk an unsupervised flare up.

Great looking table and setup!  Welcome aboard and enjoy your new egg!
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options
    Great table build and equipment line-up.  You are ready to roll some smoke.  If still just burning lump for the he!! of it, start and maintain temp (dome thermo, calibrated?) in the mid 200's and note your vent settings.   Always good to know how it works in the low&slow range before you decide (or not) on a controller.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @mjfutures

I would caution you to leave the egg shut when done.  If you think the fire is out and you open it, it will allow oxygen to enter the system again.  If one coal is still lit, you'll soon have a large fire on hand again.  Not worth the risk, especially if you walk away for awhile.
    If one coal is still lit, the fire is not out.  Like I said....
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @mjfutures

If one coal is still lit, the fire is not out.  Like I said....
    I agree, and if that coal is buried he'll never see it.  Therefore he shouldn't open his egg to let it cool down faster.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @mjfutures As far as the ceramic lid goes, none of my eggs have ever seen a ceramic lid. 
    You have a great looking setup. I can only one thing wrong.  The inside of your egg is white!
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Nothing like the virgin burn. Kinda like a golf ball, it's only brand new once. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• mjfutures
    edited July 2017
    Options
    haha thanks for all the comments! The past 48hrs has been a blast.. first fire was to figure out what the heck I was doing haha... then I did some burgers .. tasted great but took way to long ... did some red potatoes were great... today did hotdogs that were awesome matched with a cold beer... and then finished today smoking chicken thighs... didn't do nothing fancy with anything just trying things out. I now have a fridge full of food and everything has been awesome. I think most of my neighbors were at the lake but I did have one wander over haha. The Egg is awesome... went from grilling to smoking .. temps all stayed spot on, I added some wood chunks for the smoke... fun and I really have next to no experience. Looking forward to being apart of the community. I have the egghead google search as my top bookmark as I quickly use that to ask a question and always find my answer.

Lifted up her skirt and got squirted in the eye from juices :blush:  typical chicken we make I choke on swallowing.. welcomed change! 

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Welcome Aboard!  Looks like a nice setup.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Assuming your egg is out before the temp has dropped significantly (or even completely) is a recipe for disaster IMO. If your lid is ever open and the egg is warm, you better have one eye on it. It will get away from you in a hurry. 
    Snellville, GA

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @mjfutures Very PC of you to refer to us as a community. Most call us as a cult.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
  • gbvinla
    gbvinla Posts: 96
    Options
    Nice setup. Years of fun ahead!!
    Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.