Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another question about white smoke

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
it takes 30 minutes or more to get those chemicals burnt off the coals that turns into that heavy white smoke.[p]what doesnt make sense to me is after a while cooking with that batch of coals, the black coals that havent been burning much will start to create that bad heavy white smoke again, because they werent burning much in the first place.[p]i hope i made sense.[p]

Comments

• JohnF
    JohnF Posts: 31
    Options
    mark,[p]True, but what I think is that the lump is burning at a higher temperature and doesn't create as much smoke. I know from experience after about that 30 minutes or so, the smoke is gone. Whether I am doing a low and slow or a TREX or anything in between.[p]At least that's my explanation.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Mark,
    Most of us don't use charcoal with any chemicals on them. I am really not sure what you are using or how to answer your question. The only time I get white smoke is when a bunch of fat is dripping on the coals. it usually starts out tan or gray and migrates toward blue.[p]If you are talking about unburnt charcoal that puts out white smoke as the fire migrates from the burnt to unburnt charcoal, then I have not seen that. maybe some more info would help![p]Have a good one, and happy cookin!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • mark,[p]I think it's just one of those things that has no explanation. Like "Why is a day 24 hours long" ?
    That's just the it is and nobody really knows why for sure. Just accept it and keep it it mind as you cook.

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    mark,[p]Maybe a silly question, but are you using briquettes or lump charcoal? I haven't used a single brand that takes 30 minutes to burn smoke off the coals and none of them are treated with chemicals.[p]mShark
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    mark,[p] I am thinking moisture
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    mark, check out the link, slide on down the page just past the bags of charcoal, you may have your answer.

[ul][li]http://home.howstuffworks.com/grill.htm[/ul]
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    well i am using the regular green egg lump charcoal. i was just curious about the unburnt coal. it does take around 30 30 minutes until that heavy white smoke is gone and is replaced by that very thin white smoke.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    mark,
    my lump has been damp all season, and it smokes longer than usual, is your lump dry or damp. normally i get a darker smoke that eventually turns to the light blue haze that is good. it is more white when the moisture is steaming off of it at startup

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it