Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Smobot

Options
I received my SMOBOT  yesterday and I couldn't wait. I didn't even have anything to cook! I wanted to make sure it worked cause I do have 2 - 9lb. pork shoulders to do tonight.
I set it up which was pretty easy. Connecting to the egg was one screw simple. Connecting to my wifi was easy as well. I just followed the quick start guide. Took me all of 20 minutes. I spent more time unwrapping stuff, getting tools, and throwing stuff away then I did actually getting it going. I ran it for an hour to see if it would do as it says it does. I set it at 250 and it did indeed hold it 250. When I opened the dome the temperature jumped to 280 but the SMOBOT shut the damper and it was soon down to 250. 
So the test run was a success! The meat goes on in a few hours. It will be an overnighter so we'll see how it goes. I'll report back on my experience.

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Got mine this morning, loving that snazzy 'power pack' that was included! Putting a Brisky on later this evening ...
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Glad to hear it's simple to set up and works well.
    Stillwater, MN
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Looking forward to all of your comments. 
  • Deluca
    Deluca Posts: 148
    Options
    Food is on and everything has been going for 15 minutes. 2 questions are coming up for me. 
    1. Where is the best place to put the grill thermocouple?
    2. The cord from the damper "Smobot's new daisy wheel" drapes down the top of the egg. Is that cool? Seems like a a lot of heat for the cord that appears to be made out of rubber. 
  • Deluca
    Options
    Here's the information from SMOBOT on my computer. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I don't have a SmoBot, but I'd put the thermocouple probe about 1-2" away from the meat and make sure it's sheilded by the platesetter so it doesn't see direct heat.  The direct heat can throw off the temperature.

Cord question, I wouldn't sweat it, I assume you're below 300F and should be good.  If your temp is higher, I'm going to ask "why are you using the SmoBot?"

Best of luck and good eats!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Deluca said:
    Food is on and everything has been going for 15 minutes. 2 questions are coming up for me. 
    1. Where is the best place to put the grill thermocouple?
    2. The cord from the damper "Smobot's new daisy wheel" drapes down the top of the egg. Is that cool? Seems like a a lot of heat for the cord that appears to be made out of rubber. 
    I've used a beta unit for about 2 years.  I've purposely left the damper wire draped over the ceramic and never had an issue, even on cooks around 350.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Deluca
    Options
    Thanks Ozzie and Red. I set it up as both of you mentioned and things are cruising like it's supposed to. Set temp is 250. Grill temp is 251. Cant complain about that.

• reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options
    @Deluca- Happy to hear you're off and running!

Like @Ozzie_Isaac said, there's no need to worry about that wire.  You can run your grill as hot as it will go (with smobot on there) and the wire will be just fine.

Please don't hesitate to shoot me an email if any questions arise. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @reinhart36. How wide open is the bottom vent supposed to be?  Curious...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Deluca
    Options
    I read somewhere awhile back that it doesn't matter what the bottom vent is at. The smobot compensates for it. I have it at 1.5" right now.

Thanks reinhart. Will do if needed. 
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options
    I usually just go with 1/2 open.  If you want to control upwards of 350/400+ you might want it further open.  As long as smobot has the authority it needs to control the temperature you'll be good.

For example, if you were to close the inlet down too far, or your egg is filled up with ashes, smobot might not be able to get your pit up to the setpoint.

50% open is a good place to be.

Thanks!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Awesome to see this project come to fruition. Would love to see some pics of the smobot.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Deluca
    Options
    So the smobot works incredibly well. Temperature was held within 1 to 2 degrees for the most part. I saw one drop to 210 from 225 on the graph but smobot corrected it within 15 minutes. I was sleeping hard when this happened so knowing it will correct some weird temp change is comforting.  The rest of the cook stayed at temp. I am very impressed!! 
    Dome temp and grill temp were about 25 degrees off.  The meat was directly on the grate so not really an issue. 
    I don't know what else to say except this thing works better then I expected. Very happy with this!
  • Deluca
    Options
    Finished product. I didn't take any smobot pics as their website show it much better than what I could do. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @reinhart36 when will y'all have it for sale to the general public? I missed the kickstarter promo but I am interested. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Just fired mine up today, works great!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    Glad to hear it is working even better than expected!  I am anxiously awaiting shipping notification on mine.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX