Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Since it's National Chicken Wing Day-favorite part of the wing-drumettes or flappers

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,385
I much prefer the flappers-seems they finish with more moisture (inside) and a great surface to sauce area.  Others?
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I decided to take the day completely off including no cooking.  I'm going to my favorite wing place and order all flats, crispy, and wet with hotter than normal (but not insane) wing sauce.  Celery and ranch on the side.  Lots and lots of cold beer.  That's how I like them!
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    If they are nice meaty wings I prefer the flappers

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Flappers
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    It's like picking a favourite child. 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Half and half seems like the perfect combo but I'm not turning down any wings
    Snellville, GA

• Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    Drumettes.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I like the the flappers as well. The trick is you have to know gow to eat them. Pull out the small bone and then suck the meat clean off the large bone. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Flappers!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    65/35 - Flats/Drums.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Flappers (we call them flats) are not only my favorite part of the wing, but my favorite part of the chicken! Oolala they are sexy. :)
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Nature Boy -  tried to eat my monitor with that shot.  Dang.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I prefer flappers...too busy to cook today so I'm going to have to order mine.  Our preferred place lets you order Flats only extra crispy and I love the Louisiana Rub.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Nature Boy -  tried to eat my monitor with that shot.  Dang.
    LOL. Thanks man. Those are what we use in competitions, and that is right before it went in the box. Man I love chicken.
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I've always heard them called the flats but they are definitely the tastiest. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Cap, when grilled I like them equally. When deep fried, I like them equally. When slow smoked, I prefer the flapper by a slight margin.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Here is how to eat/debone a chicken wing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRcOY-PvOC8
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Both, I like to cook whole wings (unless frying). The tip makes an excellent handle.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    My buddy in college refused to eat paddles, only drummies. 

Our favorite bar refused to pick through and serve him only drummies. 

I would wait patiently until he finished then he would pass them down the bar and say "give them to the Haitian" and I would clean a paddle to the bone with no gristle in one bite. 

Felt slightly racist...but free wings are free wings. 

And yeah paddles (flappers) all the way. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Flappers (we call them flats) are not only my favorite part of the wing, but my favorite part of the chicken! Oolala they are sexy. :)
    Just curious, what rub you use on wings?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Hard to choose, but I'd have to go against the majority here and pick the drummy. Although I won't discrimate against either 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    I eat the drums she eats the flappers, 23 years of bliss  =)
    Jacksonville FL
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Never heard the term flappers either....but as I see that means flats, it's an easy choice for me.  Flats all the way! Always learning something here B) Places around here charge more for all flats btw so I'm guessing they are most popular in my area
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I prefer a wing cook together.  Wing tip removed.  Drumette and flapper still attached.  Looks super cool!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    My bias toward drummies likely dates to my childhood. Growing up in Canton, Ohio, my family often would go out to eat at a place called Chicken Manor. You could get an 8-piece drummie dinner with twos sides (the homestyle noodles were great) for $3.75. Even though those drummies were breaded, they got me started on that road. Good times.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Flapper here....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Drummie here.....mostly cause it's easier to dip and eat. There really is no bad option when it comes to the flavor.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I'm torn.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI