Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork rib post mortum

Steve
Steve Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all, I just took my first shot at pork spare ribs...after owning my large egg for 8 years. Net is, they came out very tasty but tough. Here is how I cooked: bought 2 slabs from the Dekalb Farmers Market, took home and dry rubbed BBQ Bomber and sat in the fridge for about 3-4 hours. Cranked the egg up to about 260 and put directly on the rack for about 4 hours (turning every 45 mins), maybe a couple of mins short of 4. So, did I just get tough ribs, did I not allow enough time for the rub to tenderize, or need more time on the egg next time?? All input greatly appreciated.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Steve,
    spares run 6 hours for me, at 250, indirect....[p]less than that can be tough

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Steve,
    If you wrap the ribs in foil with a little apple juice and honey and put back on the egg for an hour after the first 3 hours they will tend to tenderize. You then unwrap and cook another hour more or less. Check to see how a toothpick slides in and out.[p]This works for me.[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Steve,
    Good suggestions so far. A tough rib is an undercooked rib. More time would definitely help out! Rub won't tenderize for you, but cooking will.[p]Until next time....cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Good suggestions, thanks all, I will take another shot this weekend.

Steve
  • JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Steve,[p]I go to the Dekalb Farmer's Market as well. Just a thought, if you can, pick up some ribs from a local Costco. Both significantly cheaper and better quality. I was surprised they were so good.[p]Re: cooking, I agree with all the other posters. Longer cooking will do it, as will the 3/1.5/1 approach, where you foil for the middle hour or hour and a half (or hour, your call). Another thought, you could try indirect for the first three hours instead of direct.
  • EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    I'm with the ~6 hour / 250 degree approach. Did you remove the membrane from the back side?
  • Thanks again for the additional input. I will probably next try either Costco or Sams ribs. I did not remove the membrane as FdF asked, I did not think it would make that much difference...does it?? Also, for indirect would an aluminum pan and an inverted V rack do the trick?

Thanks!
  • My experience is that removing the membrane definitely makes a difference to the tenderness of the ribs. Pan & vrack are good for indirect, but you probably want some ceramic mass like the plate setter or some fire brick under them to reduce the direct heat.