Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Cap- Clean it before it gets awful!!

Options

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Another reason no one needs a SW cap.
    When it's clean it sure dresses up the Egg.  Kinda like a dog with sunglasses...it just looks cool. 
    You can also polish a dog turd too. Maybe we can see a picture with a necklace you made from a turd soon?
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    Has anyone tried throwing it in the dishwasher after each use? Seems a little anal I know, just thought cleaning before it gets really heavy might help.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    When it's clean it sure dresses up the Egg.  Kinda like a dog with sunglasses...it just looks cool. 
    You can also polish a dog turd too. Maybe we can see a picture with a necklace you made from a turd soon?
    Sounds like you're speaking from experience on polishing dog turds.   I'll reserve the necklace mfg for someone with experience on the subject.   
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Sounds like you're speaking from experience on polishing dog turds.   I'll reserve the necklace mfg for someone with experience on the subject.   
    Watched it on Myth Busters. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Options
    Easy Off does the trick, my was so gross that it wouldn't operate when cool. Couple shots of Easy Off has it looking like new.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    All you "Luddites" turning up your noses at, what is clearly, by design and materials, a superior vent, probably just can't afford the forty bucks.  That's ok, just put that money into new wheels for your home.   Buy American!

Options
    I have two of these Smokeware caps that ended up so crusty I could barely operate them.

So I threw them in some PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) - basically a mixture of Oxyclean and TSP.  This stuff is used to clean the funk out of brewery equipment. 

Anyway, Soaked them overnight, little mechanical scrubbing, soaked for a few more days, bit more scrubbing and they look like new.  And more importantly, they work easily.

This route is really a time thing, not too much scrubbing and the PBW is about the least toxic cleaner that will do it.
    So where does one buy this PBW? I have used EasyOff a few times before. My memory goes back that I killed 3 saplings off the back of my deck from the over-spray once, burnt my hand in spite of wearing a plastic glove another time and accidentally inhaled some of that crap the very first time. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @RRP - Ron, you can buy it on Amazon, or you can make it.  I think (you can look up the ratios online) it's like 60/50 TSP/Oxyclean..or the other way around.  You'll be fine at 50/50.  TSP is trisodiumphosphate (Home Despot) and Oxyclean is sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate (which converts to hydrogen peroxide) - and you can buy that at any grocery store.

Options
    I guess these work well for people,  but the upkeep sounds horrible. I rarely use the daisy, I control all >300 cooks with the bottom vent only. I'm sure I will buy one someday, I'm a sucker for egg stuff that I can add to my bbq shed to respresent money I used to have. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I guess these work well for people,  but the upkeep sounds horrible. I rarely use the daisy, I control all >300 cooks with the bottom vent only. I'm sure I will buy one someday, I'm a sucker for egg stuff that I can add to my bbq shed to respresent money I used to have. 
    The upkeep sounding horrible is a misrepresentation.  This is what happens when herds of sheeple start braying in an echo chamber.  I've cleaned mine once in three years.  It's just a flippin' vent. 

How does it work?  Great.
    Does I needs it?  Nope.
    Haz it make life easier?  Marginally.
    Doz it look cool?  Naturally, it's SS.
    Would I buy it again?  Yes.

You don't need one, but they are certainly functional, an improvement compared to the OEM DFMT.  Ba-lak-ie saying he cleans his every other cook is a dog whistle to a non-existent flaw in the design.  They are fine.
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    No, you can't polish a turd. You can however roll it in glitter.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Teefus said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Then you need to watch Myth Busters sir. They proved that you can polish a dog turd. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I don't know who this "no one" is, but if mine walked away I'd buy another instantly.
    What's your address?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    cant imagine a shiny smokeware cap on my egg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I have a gen-1 smokeware cap, never cleaned it, it's never been stuck but it does seal better now than when new.  I prefer it to the daisy wheel, but if there was no such thing as a smokeware cap, I would use the daisy.  I'm really not sure why personal preference incites such vinegar around here.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Two trigger points on this thread. Should I have a Smokeware cap, and should I clean it? I can understand the vitriol. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Legume said:
     I'm really not sure why personal preference incites such vinegar around here.
    @Legume The internet allows our opinion to be right without regard to other people, thought processes, or consequence!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sVem3i00rWQ

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Legume said:
     I'm really not sure why personal preference incites such vinegar around here.
    @Legume The internet allows our opinion to be right without regard to other people, thought processes, or consequence!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sVem3i00rWQ
    Oh, here I was thinking this my world and everyone else was living in it.  I really wouldn't take my comments too seriously though.  Dog turds can be polished though.  Probably as shiny as Smokeware cap after each use.  

Question is, what do you polish your Smokeware cap with?  I'd just use Turtle Wax.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit. Oh, I know we're all right in our opinions, I just find it to be disheartening entertainment in how those are expressed.  I have no doubt I contribute my share as well.  Go internet!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Love my SW caps.  All the tops and topless work.  Personal preference. Never clean the stuff.
    I am with Brent, mine have never been cleaned in 3 plus years of having them. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    For the record, I've also never waxed my egg...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SSQUAL612
    Options
    @tarheelmatt  Someone already stole your idea...too bad, I bet you'd make a good turd polisher.   BTW...they have matching earrings for you too.

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SSQUAL612
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Teefus said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Legume said:
    I have a gen-1 smokeware cap, never cleaned it, it's never been stuck but it does seal better now than when new.  I prefer it to the daisy wheel, but if there was no such thing as a smokeware cap, I would use the daisy.  I'm really not sure why personal preference incites such vinegar around here.
    Confirmation bias is a powerful force.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    All you "Luddites" turning up your noses at, what is clearly, by design and materials, a superior vent, probably just can't afford the forty bucks.  That's ok, just put that money into new wheels for your home.   Buy American!

Call me a Luddite but my SW cap was a total POS. The two parts were so loose that I could jam toothpicks between the pieces all the way around. SW said that's normal and offered me a 15% discount to buy a new and improved cap. Superior design and materials my azz....
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Didn't you spend your career in a submersible turd @SSQUAL612
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

Call me a Luddite but my SW cap was a total POS. The two parts were so loose that I could jam toothpicks between the pieces all the way around. SW said that's normal and offered me a 15% discount to buy a new and improved cap. Superior design and materials my azz....
    How come everything you buy is a lemon??
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    bgebrent said:

Perhaps his name in real life is Joe Btfsplk.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SchwarzenEGGer
    Options
    cant imagine a shiny smokeware cap on my egg

Looks like well seasoned!!
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    bgebrent said:

I have the worst luck of anyone you know. Trust me on this.