Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Kitchen :)

Comments

• JNJGoeders
    JNJGoeders Posts: 90
    @buzzvol
    I use a MAPP torch to light the lump, the tiki fluid bottle has been relocated :-)
    Iowa, 1 BGEXL, 1BGEMiniMax, a truck, a camper and some horses and atvs :D Let's play!
  • JNJGoeders
    @Eggdicted_Dawgfan @StJohnsEgger
    It is a 4 level split house, with concrete siding, and a full basement.   and the wood "foundation" under my XLBGE is cedar 4x4's topped with treated 2x10's and supported underneath with angle iron brackets, like floor joists, all topped with fire brick. 

The cedar 2x10's under my MiniMax are supported the same way, with the angle iron.

My horse could stand on it, and it's not gonna burn down my house, but thanks for the concern. 
    Iowa, 1 BGEXL, 1BGEMiniMax, a truck, a camper and some horses and atvs :D Let's play!
  • JNJGoeders
    edited July 2017
    @SoCal_Griller, I drain it into a bucket under the sink...thought about connecting it to a garden hose to feed into a flower bed nearby... I didn't want to tear up the concrete patio beneath it to create an actual septic drain. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I winced when I read that post too.
    edited July 2017
    @nolaegghead, which post exactly? The insult to my house?
  • nolaegghead
    Yep
    edited July 2017
    @nolaegghead
    Thank you. It just confirms why I prefer horses & dogs & cats over people :-) Fortunately, I'm so blessed....and most people here are kind and supportive. 
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    @JNJGoeders, I hope you know I didn't really think you were using the tiki fuel in the eggs.  I like your setup, it looks like a really fun place to cook.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • bigegger
    bigegger Posts: 87
    looks great and functional! and what an awesome way to show you're a proud BGE owner
    LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    Very nice, sounds like a fantastic home as well.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • JNJGoeders
    @buzzvol
    I figured you were just giving me a hard time, no worries!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    That's a nice setup.  Especially the human sous vide!  I need one of those.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    That is a nice setup, but if you don't have one, you should get a table next to give you a gap between the egg and the wood. I had mine sitting on a paver in a wood table, and the heat transferred through the stone and burnt the table a bit. Air gap fixed that problem. Cheers!
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • @SoCal_Griller, I drain it into a bucket under the sink...thought about connecting it to a garden hose to feed into a flower bed nearby... I didn't want to tear up the concrete patio beneath it to create an actual septic drain. 
    I have thought about doing the same for the same reasons you mentioned.  How is it working out for you?  
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    @nolaegghead
    Thank you. It just confirms why I prefer horses & dogs & cats over people :-) Fortunately, I'm so blessed....and most people here are kind and supportive. 
    I was just trying to make sure you were aware of the potential danger. I was trying to be supportive. If you felt offended then I apologize. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• JNJGoeders
    @StJohnsEgger
    Sometimes in text (without intonation) it's hard to tell a person's meaning. Thank you for your support. No hard feelings here.
  • JNJGoeders
    @SoCal_Griller, I drain it into a bucket under the sink...thought about connecting it to a garden hose to feed into a flower bed nearby... I didn't want to tear up the concrete patio beneath it to create an actual septic drain. 
    I have thought about doing the same for the same reasons you mentioned.  How is it working out for you?  
    It's working GREAT!  I frequently only use a small amount of water, just what's necessary, and I use bio-friendly soap (plain old dawn dishsoap), so the water is usable in my rose garden which is right across the walkway from my egg kitchen. Its been a dry year here, so its nice to re-use that water constructively. Plus, it keeps the aphids and other pests at bay!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    edited July 2017
    Damn, how did I miss all of this?  Looks like the HOA was out in force, tallying infractions.

Nice spot @JNJGoeders.  

ps Brent is a tool
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Legume said:
    Damn, how did I miss all of this?  Looks like the HOA was out the in force, tallying infractions.

Nice spot @JNJGoeders.  
    Wake up!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JNJGoeders
    volfan1 said:
    That is a nice setup, but if you don't have one, you should get a table next to give you a gap between the egg and the wood. I had mine sitting on a paver in a wood table, and the heat transferred through the stone and burnt the table a bit. Air gap fixed that problem. Cheers!
    I'm considering how to create the "air gap" in my newly built setup. Engineering suggestions, without altering my existing design? (My husband put a LOT of work into his, so I don't want to upset him).
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    volfan1 said:
    I'm considering how to create the "air gap" in my newly built setup. Engineering suggestions, without altering my existing design? (My husband put a LOT of work into his, so I don't want to upset him).
    If there's enough room for a table nest, I'd start with that. I think the one for my large BGE was $25-30.
    Stillwater, MN
  • JNJGoeders
    volfan1 said:
    If there's enough room for a table nest, I'd start with that. I think the one for my large BGE was $25-30.
    Can you send a link? Or photos?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    It's right on the BGE website - http://biggreenegg.com/product/table-nest/
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Is putting the nest directly on wood a good idea? I think you may still need some type of paver. 
    Snellville, GA

• nolaegghead
    Is putting the nest directly on wood a good idea? I think you may still need some type of paver. 
    It is totally fine right on the wood.
    But I have a metal pan under mine, but it's mostly to keep embers from burning the table.
  • @JNJGoeders believe me the small amount of frustration to get it right is well worth the piece of mind. Especially if you are one to not keep a close eye on your egg during cooks. Quite a few pictures of burnt decks, tables and houses around here. Better safe than sorry. Your husband did a great job so he shouldn't be discouraged. Just a minor adjustment for the long term safety.
    Snellville, GA

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Can you send a link? Or photos?
    Sorry I didn't get back to you right away. HeavyG has it covered. If you have a paver or something under the table that's probably preferable, but I don't have anything under mine and the wood hasn't been warm when I have checked.
    Stillwater, MN
  • JNJGoeders
    Got the link, this would be easy, thank you! 
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    That is a really nice setup, and I like the sink and faucet. Beautiful woodwork. Do you rent out your husband?
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.