Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT; Lacto-fermented Pickles

500 Posts: 3,177
I started my first two quarts of naturally fermented pickles today. Someday they will be sliced on a burger, so this isn't too far OT. Wondering if any other Eggers ferment, besides your liver. 
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have done them.  Love the half sours.
    I only punish my liver, it is evil!!!  Love to hear how this comes out!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Yup!  I got some HopTops http://www.hoptop.us/ from KS a year or so ago and have done saurkraut, pickles, hot peppers, jalapenos and onions.  Great sour taste and tingle.  For pickles, put a little black tea in each jar for crunch or they'll be sorta limp...  My issue is we can't grow a garden in our subdivision, so I don't have a supply of veggies, other than the farmer's market.  

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
    edited July 2017
    I got these lids; https://nourishedessentials.com/. And Picklemeister weights. I used a bay leaf in each jar to help keep them crisp, plus these are fresh farmers market bumpy cukes. 
    Member since 2009
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    A guy I know at church is big into gardening and fermentation, ferments his own hot sauces, and recently fermented some pickles.  It seems like there should be a different name for something pickled in vinegar and something fermented till it's sour -- very different things.  I bet they're good, though!
    Theophan said:
    A guy I know at church is big into gardening and fermentation, ferments his own hot sauces, and recently fermented some pickles.  It seems like there should be a different name for something pickled in vinegar and something fermented till it's sour -- very different things.  I bet they're good, though!
    Correct. As I understand it, you call them Pickled and Fermented to distinguish the difference. But cucumbers are still called pickles at the end. Im
    doing this to just see what I can do to make homemade foods and to also get some benefit from the good gut bacteria by eating fermented foods. I still like a vinegar pickle but I'm hoping these fermented ones will taste even better and have a depth of flavor and not just a vinegar bite. 
    Member since 2009
  • Theophan
    500 said:
    ... I'm hoping these fermented ones will taste even better and have a depth of flavor and not just a vinegar bite. 
    I'm sure they will.  To me, the difference between aged (i.e., fermented) hot sauces like Tabasco and Crystal, and non-aged ones like Texas Pete that just mix vinegar with peppers is night and day.  The fermented ones just have a deeper, richer flavor.  I've never tasted fermented pickles, but I bet that's true with them, too.  Mixing vinegar and shredded cabbage won't make sauerkraut, either!  The fermentation makes it so much more interesting, flavor-wise.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    My Grandmother and my mother used to ferment pickles in a large crock. Mom still has the crock but she uses it as a flower vase now. Their recipe was a sweet pickle.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    I got Pickle Pipe fermenting lids for Mason jars and I was pretty disappointed. I'm anxious to see how those lids work out for you 500. Please keep us updated.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
    I'm 7 - 14 days out before I do a taste test. Then I'll decide if they need to go longer or if they go to the fridge. This is all new to me but the interwebs has given me a good start. 
    Member since 2009
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i tried some cabbage last fall, 2 weeks in just salty cabbage, 4 weeks the same, not sure what went wrong, should go look at it now =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    At least it's food, not motor oil 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishlessman
    what if the top third of the jar after 8 months looks like black crude oil floating over cabbage =) thats what i got right now. so the question is, is it a dye from the purple cabbage or is it poisonous :D
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I'm sure you'll let us know if it isn't.
  • Theophan
    Legume said:
    I'm sure you'll let us know if it isn't.
    Or your estate, if you actually swallowed any of what you said looks like black crude oil...  <shudder>
  • nolaegghead
    what if the top third of the jar after 8 months looks like black crude oil floating over cabbage =) thats what i got right now. so the question is, is it a dye from the purple cabbage or is it poisonous :D
    Being serious here - throw it out. 
    have no plans on eating this one ;) still not sure what the black liquid is, not found on google, can see green mold on the cabbage down a few inches from the top. not sure why it did not ferment in the beginning, its all still submerged
    fukahwee maine

Black is bad for a ferment. White is ok but none is best. 
    Member since 2009
  • nolaegghead
    have no plans on eating this one ;) still not sure what the black liquid is, not found on google, can see green mold on the cabbage down a few inches from the top. not sure why it did not ferment in the beginning, its all still submerged
    The black stuff is usually a nasty aerobic mold.  Are you sure you didn't have any that wasn't submerged?
    How much salt did you use?  If you use too much, you can inhibit lactic acid formation, which acts as a preservative and kills most mold.
    Green Bean ferment Batch #1. Bloody Mary accoutrements in my future.
    Member since 2009
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I bought a fermenting crock and made sauerkraut. It turned out great. I haven't tried anything else. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I just received some cabbage from my Dad's garden. I had ordered a crock but at Nola's behest, I canceled and am going to swing by the local home brew store for an airlock fermentation bucket.
  • fishlessman
    How much salt did you use?  If you use too much, you can inhibit lactic acid formation, which acts as a preservative and kills most mold.
    recipe was 1 tablespoon pickling salt for one head of cabbage medium sized. looking at it today and the black is more syrupy with the green mold attached to the top third of the cabbage. next try something with a better airlock, this one needed a little water daily to stay locked. cabbage was completely submerged with a perforated stainless plate and spring  holding it down. try and post pics later, downloaded some malware yesterday, slowing things down
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    recipe was 1 tablespoon pickling salt for one head of cabbage medium sized. looking at it today and the black is more syrupy with the green mold attached to the top third of the cabbage. next try something with a better airlock, this one needed a little water daily to stay locked. cabbage was completely submerged with a perforated stainless plate and spring  holding it down. try and post pics later, downloaded some malware yesterday, slowing things down
    Seems a bit light on the salt.   Way I do it is chop up all the cabbage, weigh it and add tbsp per pound, mixing it up in a big batch.  Cabbage weights around 2-4 pounds per head.  My last batch finished, smelled and looked great, but I let it go another week and the water level dropped and it went south quick.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/3-biggest-fermenting-mistakes-youre-already-making/

Seems a bit light on the salt.   Way I do it is chop up all the cabbage, weigh it and add tbsp per pound, mixing it up in a big batch.  Cabbage weights around 2-4 pounds per head.  My last batch finished, smelled and looked great, but I let it go another week and the water level dropped and it went south quick.

the thing throwing me even with the mold is that it never fermented even after a month, reading from that site i think it may have been temps. i picked the cabbage out of the raised bed, maybe a little over two pounds in size but it was later in the fall. maybe the camp was just to cold then, thinking the cold and salt may have just stopped the initial fermentation, i dont know. house is usually 50 degrees during the week that time of year. might try hot sauce in the jar this year and get a better fermenter.  another oddity, the airlock up top went dry back in the winter and the liquid in the jar is still up
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    edited July 2017

the thing throwing me even with the mold is that it never fermented even after a month, reading from that site i think it may have been temps. i picked the cabbage out of the raised bed, maybe a little over two pounds in size but it was later in the fall. maybe the camp was just to cold then, thinking the cold and salt may have just stopped the initial fermentation, i dont know. house is usually 50 degrees during the week that time of year. might try hot sauce in the jar this year and get a better fermenter.  another oddity, the airlock up top went dry back in the winter and the liquid in the jar is still up
    The temp explains it.  The lactobacillus hate the cold.  You probably didn't get the lactic acid production that needs to happen first to drop the pH, and quickly, to preserve the cabbage from opportunistic molds and other, unwanted bacteria.  Warmer is better, you should put an electric blanket over it or something to get it to 65-75F.  Maybe put the vessel in your bed at night.

The temp explains it.  The lactobacillus hate the cold.  You probably didn't get the lactic acid production that needs to happen first to drop the pH, and quickly, to preserve the cabbage from opportunistic molds and other, unwanted bacteria.  Warmer is better, you should put an electric blanket over it or something to get it to 65-75F.  Maybe put the vessel in your bed at night.
    top of the fridge might work but thats where i warm up the raw ground hamburger for eating =)  ill come up with something this fall
    fukahwee maine

• Ima_good_egg
    Ima_good_egg Posts: 590
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Ima_good_egg
    Ima_good_egg Posts: 590
    A batch of radish carrot kimchi.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.