Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best tool for making ABTs ???????????

Memphis
Memphis Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love ABTs (especially shrimp ABTs) - but I hate making them. I use a paring knife and usually cut the pepper up. My question is - What do ya'll use to clean out the peppers?? This is a very ingenious group here - so I KNOW ya'll have some weird ways of making this an easy task !!! HELP - I need some ideas !! Lawn Ranger - do you have anything in your magical bag of tools ??

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Memphis,
    Cut them in half and then use a teaspoon to scrape out the seeds/ribs. Works like a snap.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Memphis,
    i took an old spoon, bent the handle in half, shaved the sides down on a grinder to fit an average sized pepper better, and sharpened the front lip for an easy fast scrape. i scrape under running water to save a step of washing. its pretty quick

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    Bobs,
    My wife uses a grapfruit spoon, works good. Try having your wife do all the prep work, works great :)

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    duckegg,
    I second that tool - for those who don't know a grapefruit spoon has a serrated front edge and makes quick and easy work!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Memphis,
    I use a baby spoon. It is the perfect size and does not require any modification.

• One place makes a tool with a crank :ohmy: on it for cleaning out the peppers when you just cut off the tops. I've not used it but the video made it seem like it worked like a charm. For the life of me I can't find the link.

I use a veggie peeler, one where the blade doesn't swivel.
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    theperfectabttool_1.jpg
    <p />Memphis,[p]been a while since I posted, hope the pic works. same thing that fishlessman did. old teaspoon and a grinder has a perfect profile for the snowcone style ABT

• Memphis, I don't have one but may need to add it to the tool box. I guess this is for whole peppers, I generally cut mine in half. T

[ul][li]http://www.jalapenocafe.com/twister.html[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    eggor,[p]Very clever idea man, I see your thinking cap is still on straight! Not only is that a good tool for ABT's but I make bread-and-butter pickled jalapeno's. That would work great for those as well. [p]Did you sharpen one or both of the edges to help cut the veins?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    2004_0202Image0016.jpg
    <p />eggor,
    mines similar but different and used differently. mine tappers a little wider back at the handle and is sharp only at the tip. i leave the pepper top on, cut a slit down the side of the pepper with a slit perpendicular at the stem section. insert spoon at the side and scape down the inside of the pepper leaving it all in one piece. then stuff the boat and wrapp a stretched piece of bacon around it, no toothpicks
    2005190733.jpg
    these were big abts stuffed with chunks of vidella and cheese.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    thirdeye,[p]sharpened both sides just in case I find someone left handed to help make 'em, I found me some cheese spreaders that will replace the spoon. When I finish them I'll post the pic.[p]Scott

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Memphis,
    This may work but I don't know for sure because I don't have one.
    Larry

[ul][li]Chile Twister[/ul]
  • Memphis,
    I use a grapefruit knife.
    Paul

• Memphis,[p]I bent up an apple corer (just to make the overall diameter
    a bit smaller). Works great for the seeds and extra flesh.
    Just don't push too hard or you go through the far end.[p]HolySmokes

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Memphis,
    i use one of those cheapo swivelly vegetable peelers.[p]i run it around inside, and it takes off the seed while leaving the veins. thought the veins are shredded and left hanging. i like to leave them in cuz that's where most of the heat is.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • What does everyone think of the chile grills like this:

product_image.php?imageid=59
  • Memphis,[p]A fellow really doesn't have to do much to the pepper if you are careful cutting out the stem. I can usually get at least 75% of the seeds with this cut. You don't want to cut any of the ribs out!! You want to keep the heat. You won't be able to taste any remaining seeds that are left in the pepper. If the heat is toooo much, use a milder pepper. We always stuff 20-30 bananna peppers for the wimps and children. Also, the hot bananna peppers are even better stuffed. [p]With my easier method, I can do about 60 pepper halves an hour and if my wife helps, about 100 an hour. [p]33MVC-018E.jpg[p]They are sure a great appetizer.[p]Dave

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Memphis,
    I use the small end of a mellon baller. -RP

• Memphis, The heat is in the lining/ribs, whatever you want to call it...+ the seeds, which are completely indigestible and will, well...leave your body in exactly the same configuration in which they entered...period, except you may be hopping for some ice cream to come thru too... If you scrape the seeds & lining out, the peppers will be milder, soak overnite in ice water, still milder...if you want the taste but not the heat, clean the peppers, boil them slowly for about 5 min, & then plunge into ice water. I like mine hot, but not all my guests do....your choice..

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Memphis,
    Grapefruit spoon. Serrated teeth on the leading edge.
    Oh, yeah, I started wearing latex gloves, too, lately.
    Chuck