Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OTGOT

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,624
We just started watching GoT a couple of weeks ago and we're maybe 6 episodes or so into the first season.  I like most of it so far, but what the hell is with the Klingons?  I swear, every time that part of the story comes on I find myself wondering when Shatner is going to show up.  The writing also takes a noticeable dip during those scenes.  

Tell me this gets better?

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    It does, if you like it. 
    Have 6 seasons on disk, I go back and watch regularly, like Star Wars, you continually pick up links between episodes. Great series. Assume you mean the Dothraki.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I'm going to hell for posting this, but it's bad enough to be born a midget, but then to have your folks name you Peter Dinklage?!?!?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    It gets better, stick with it.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    It's one of my faves, like anything there's parts that are better than others 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    My wife and daughter were big fans of the novels before the tv show so they were pretty excited to hear that HBO was making a series from the books years ago so it was a must watch (at least for them).

The genre of the books wasn't really my cup of tea so I had zero interest in reading the books but I did start to watch the show with my them and really enjoy it. It was occasionally both annoying and helpful to have a couple of fangirls able to explain some things or always tell me "that's not what happened in the book".

This season and the next are beyond where the novels left off so I no longer have to hear "that's not what happened in the book". :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Options
    We're going to keep going, I figured it gets better and most of it I really like. The fantasy/dragon stuff just hasn't ever been my thing.  You say Dothraki, I say Klingons.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Legume said:
    We're going to keep going, I figured it gets better and most of it I really like. The fantasy/dragon stuff just hasn't ever been my thing.  You say Dothraki, I say Klingons.
    Worf never had hair as nice as Khal Drogo's.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Hans61
    Options
    Have you watched the sixth episode yet? It's one I'll never forget
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My introduction was thru my son during a visit. Watched the 1st season over a 3 day period. I'm not a huge fan of "sword & sorcery," but I was stunned. The plot lines run off in about a hundred different directions. My wife got into it more than me. I started calling it the "Game of Horrors," and almost didn't want to see what new awfulness was just around the corner.

I can't imagine how the last season will top "The Battle of the Bastards," and I wonder how they will come up with a baddie that needs killing more than Ramsay Bolton.

• Hans61
    Options
    @Legume warning spoilers above 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Legume
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    @Legume warning spoilers above 
    No problem, I have the memory of a flea.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I don't want to spoil it but if you like gratuitous sex and voiolence then stick with it. The dragons are just a trick to distract you from the incest T&A and murder. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    The first season is pretty dry.  Once characters get established, it gets much, much better
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    The first season is pretty dry.  Once characters get established, it gets much, much better
    Once the character gets established, don't they die?
  • HeavyG
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Once the character gets established, don't they die?
    There's a few that are still here this new season...so far. :)

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I think GOT is my favorite series of all times...all seasons. Waiting for S75o end now to binge.   Stick with it....it’s a masterpiece.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    My wife and I started watching it about 4 years ago.  I gave up after about 4 or 5 episodes.  Last winter I gave it a second try.  Watched all 6 seasons in about 4 months.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options

I've read the books and am watching the series via DVD. In my opinion, the series writers are a lot better at telling a story. By book 5, I could not give a sh*t about anybody. George (RR Martin) must be getting paid by the word, and doesn't allow editing. It doesn't really seem too Fantasy-ish, as the magic and dragons are just afterthoughts. Mostly just sex and gore.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    My wife and I started watching it about 4 years ago.  I gave up after about 4 or 5 episodes.  Last winter I gave it a second try.  Watched all 6 seasons in about 4 months.
    I think most of these shows are a better watch as a binge. You are able to maintain some continuity to the story lines a little easier. 
  • Legume
    Options
    I think most of these shows are a better watch as a binge. You are able to maintain some continuity to the story lines a little easier. 
    That's what we're doing, usually 2 episodes at a time and more than once per week.  We are further along than I realized the other day.  We're now one episode into season two.  They know how to create hateable characters.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Legume said:
    That's what we're doing, usually 2 episodes at a time and more than once per week.  We are further along than I realized the other day.  We're now one episode into season two.  They know how to create hateable characters.
    You haven't seen the really hate-able characters yet!