Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to purchse a SBGE or MBGE for a gift for my parents?

Options
Ok guys and gals, I need help deciding which Egg to purchase as a gift for my folks. I have a MM and LBGE and want to get my parents an Egg as a 50th Anniversary gift. A large would be too big for them, as they would only be cooking for 2 people (maybe 4 from time to time.) I was initially thinking a small, b/c the cooking surface is the same size as a MM, but in a nest, so no bending over lol.

Should I consider a MBGE for more space? Is the extra space worth if your typically only cooking for 2 people. Hummmm 

Thoughts? 

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Get the medium. Better to have the real estate and not need it than to need it and not have it. I cook on the medium for two regularly. Grilled veggies take up a lot of space too. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Medium. If they want to use any cooking vessels (i.e., pans, Dutch ovens, etc.), they'll appreciate the bigger cooker. The MBGE is also a fantastic performer.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Medium is the ticket.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    My son in law has the medium for the same purpose and greatly wishes he had gotten the large as it will also do for 4-6 people and has more after market stuff.       It is the most popular for a good reason if people only get one egg.  The extra real estate and better accessories are well worth it.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Get them a MM and table
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    I cook for just two people almost all the time and my Large is exactly the right size.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    +1 for the large. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I would go medium or large forget the MM.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    minimax is the way id go....
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    How much will he realistically use it and what do you think he will cook?

Little Rock, AR

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Medium, or spend the extra $150 or so on the large.  Don't do the small--not enough room even though there's only two.  You can easily put two pork butts on a Medium, a spatchcocked chicken, brisket flat, etc.  Not saying you can't do that on a Small, but it's tough.  Medium is great for two, but the Large has room for a turkey, whole packer, larger steaks for 4, corn on the cob, etc.  Also, most of the accessories out there are made for the large--you're kind of limited on BGE and aftermarket on the Medium.

The Minimax is cool for someone that already has a Large or XL as a sear station or second egg, but not the answer as a primary egg (unless it's in a camp or RV).....in my opinion.

Like someone else said, better to have the room and not use it.  The charcoal use and deck space are negligible going from the Med->Lrg, but the accessory options and possibilities inside are worth it for that extra $150.
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    With two of us the medium is frequently overkill, but when it's time to do a Thanksgiving turkey, it will do about 13 pounds and has done eight pound or bigger butts without problem. Using a Dutch oven or cast iron for some cooks the extra space is nice.I started to buy a small, but the dealer suggested I would be happier with the medium. I am.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    Options
    I think they would use it a couple of times a week. They would use it for Pork Butts, Steaks/Chicken, Fish and a maybe a Turkey....but they typically spend Thanksgiving at my house (with a LBGE)....so if they cooked turkey, it would probably just be a breast. Oh, they also like grilled veggies and corn.

Sounds like a MBGE is the way to go. What about lump management? Is there really any difference in using a small vs. a med etc.? I guess what I am trying to ask is a Med or Small easier to use?

I like the idea of getting a table instead of a nest....I am sure they will like that better.   
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    As soon as he wants to cook for 4 the S is too small. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SBGonzo said:
    I think they would use it a couple of times a week. They would use it for Pork Butts, Steaks/Chicken, Fish and a maybe a Turkey....but they typically spend Thanksgiving at my house (with a LBGE)....so if they cooked turkey, it would probably just be a breast. Oh, they also like grilled veggies and corn.

Sounds like a MBGE is the way to go. What about lump management? Is there really any difference in using a small vs. a med etc.? I guess what I am trying to ask is a Med or Small easier to use?

I like the idea of getting a table instead of a nest....I am sure they will like that better.   
    No way I do small over medium. I like my small as an extra but certainly not as my ONLY. I still think the Large may be the better choice but that's your decision. 

Little Rock, AR

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    SBGonzo said:

The charcoal use in a small vs. med is negligible as is med vs. large.  Unless you're grilling, it's not that much more volume to heat up for a low and slow.

On the tables, you'll have to go aftermarket as BGE & Challenger do not make tables/inslands for the medium......only the Large and XL.  Challenger will make you a custom one, but you're talking big bucks.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Which will you want to cook on when you visit?
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I would say the medium. I have one and it's plenty. Just build them a table to go with it.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Have medium and mini max here. I sold the small a week ago. If the small or mini max were my only egg. It would frustrate me enough that usage would go down. I can't say enough how the medium is nearly the perfect size, especially for two. I have larger eggs for big stuff,  but the medium is my workhorse. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited July 2017
    Options
    One more voice adding to the choir already saying NOT the Small, at least the Medium.  I have a Medium and a Large, and as many others said above, I LOVE my Medium, cook in it much more often than the Large, and almost all the time, it's just perfect.  

But... it's not perfect all the time.  I just used the Large today for some chicken wings because if I'd tried to spread them all out on the Medium, IF I'd even been able to fit them all, some of them definitely would have wound up over open spaces around the plate setter and would have cooked drastically faster than the rest of them.  I'd have had to constantly be fussing with them, rotating them, etc., whereas with the Large they were all over the drip pan, and I didn't even flip them, cooking them all indirect.

I suppose one rack of ribs could be cooked in a Medium if you cut it up, but it's just easy to throw a rack or two on the Large.

Bottom line:  I LOVE my Medium, it's what I cook in by far most of the time, but if I only had one Egg, it'd be the Large, not the Medium.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    M or L.
    canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    As a MBGE owner, not the best to ask, but I do like my Medium. It is a fuel miser compared to neighbour's LBGE for similar cooks. (Only one I've compared, I defer to @stlcharcoal as he has much more experience)
    Most of our cooks are for two of us and the MBGE is ideal. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I  like my small and medium but if I could only have one or the other it would be the medium. But I  agree with @Theophan the large is my favorite. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Seriously, no one is recommending the small?? The small is the egg I use the most! It has plenty of space and I cook for 3-4 people on it regularly. Your parents may not need or want the extra space of the larger egg. 
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    ... The small is the egg I use the most! It has plenty of space and I cook for 3-4 people on it regularly...
    Yeah, but Faith, you're a magician!  I've seen some of your posts and I'm just in awe!  YOU can do all of that on a Small, but that sure doesn't mean I could have...

If I were just doing few burgers, or a couple of steaks, a couple chicken breasts, sure, a Small would be great.  But for me, there are WAY more times that I'm really happy with my Medium, which really is my favorite Egg, but if I only had one, it'd be the Large just because of things like ribs that I could probably do on the Medium, but it's just easy on the Large.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    minimax is the way id go....plus get platesetter, woo, stone, wok, party q setup amd air inlet adapter and a pizza stone

Minimax reasoning is simple: it is just so dang fun to cook on and so versatile id bet it gets a lot of use....
  • SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    Options
    Legume said:
    Which will you want to cook on when you visit?
    Now that is a great question lol. I was leaning towards a small, but now think I will go with a med. instead. I have a good friend that builds furniture that would build a table for me.

Thanks for all the feedback...this forum is outstanding!

Cheers 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I would give them a Mini sitting on a stainless table. Have 4 Eggs and if could only keep one it would be the Mini. Not this table but an open one from Sams or Costco

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Still think if only one the large is much more versatile and will get them to use it more      also can cook enough to freeze some for when just not want to cook
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston